Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
inspecting an old Airstream

hey everyone,
I was wandering how and who do you trust to do an inspection of a old AS. Can you call a company and pick and choose what you have inspected. Ex: heating system one month and maybe ac next time.
Thanks
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman
Can you call a company and pick and choose what you have inspected. Ex: heating system one month and maybe ac next time.
You could, but why would you want to? If you're getting the trailer inspected before purchasing, you want to know everything that's wrong (and right) with the trailer before plunking down your hard-earned cash.
If you own the trailer already, and want to know what shape it's in now, you wouldn't want to pay someone to just look at the furnace, or just the water systems. You would be paying someone a fee to look at something, then have to pay someone (maybe even the same someone) a fee to look at something else next week or next month.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Who know better than one who has already "done" it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post
...I was wandering how and who do you trust to do an inspection of a old AS....
Jerry:

I have often thought about this same question....absolutely, without a doubt, the BEST inspector is a hobbiest who has completed a total rebuild.

To properly inspect for perimeter rot (frame to floor to shell integrity) it will require a minimum of two or three hours - possible longer.

The goucho needs to be partially removed, same for the beds, sinks, bath, and cabinets - and anything else hiding the interior perimeter. And then, maybe drill a couple of rivets in the front and rear belly pan to get a 'scope up there to inspect for frame damage.

Remember, a lot of shops are charging upwards of hundred bucks an hour for labor, so it would be asking a lot of a hobbiest to invest a half of a weekend in an inspection - but that's what it would take to "do it right".

After the inspection the two of you would have to do some searching here in the Forums and on the 'net and debrief the inspection - compare notes and decide which systems need replacing, which are good, and which ones could be repaired....and arrive at a realistic cost (both in time and money) to effect repairs.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You could, but why would you want to?

I can see where single system inspections would make sense. If you are doing a restoration and not completely comfortable with your abilities or knowledge of these systems then having an expert evaluate your work "as you go" could save you a lot of time and money later on. Much like a housing inspector would inspect each phase of a build.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have a rudimentary inspection report available as a jumping off place http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I had to replace the water heater, floor, converter, plumbing, and vents. Check around the floor by the toilet, tub, behind the sink and look for rot. If your pencil can stick into it then it is bad. Here is my thread. When my wife and I bought our trailer we were very new to all of this. We were told it just needed some little things done. That was not the case. This forum led me to all the problems and solutions. If the people in this forum were all educators we would have the best school system in the world. No regrets we have fun fixing it up. Projects my wife and I do is what makes our marriage work. We are a team.

The Overlander is pretty easy to work on if you have the correct tools and directions. Check out my link. My overlander is one year older then yours.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
thanks on the inspections

after reading the replys to the question of inspections, maybe I can figure it out myself. I've already fixed 3 weak spots in the floor using the tech. in When I figure out putting pictures on the forum, you'll see where we are.
Thanks for the help.
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote