Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
1978 31' Excella 500
Western , New York
Here are some pictures I took with my phone, unfortunately most didn't come out but this is what I have for now.

Front view, lots of stuff on both sides that needs to come out before I can move it. Looks like the clear coat is scratched up here and there.

I double checked and apparently it's the floor under the leveler that is sunk in not under the tires. Unfortunately all 4 are flat...

Disturbingly I found a hole in the screen behind the front window. The window isn't locked so you can pop it open with your finger no problem. Now I'm scared to look inside.

Inwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
There must have been a lot of fond memories of you enjoying your Airstream by your family. Someone knew that you would keep it going, and wanted to see you enjoy it again. That is Awesome.
You can look for an Airstreamer in your area to help you go over everything. If you are handy, and mechanically inclined, there are volumes of information here. That it was in covered storage is good.
Getting it back to where it was probably wont take as much cash and time as you think. Have fun with it and make some new memories!
Clayton and Tammy

NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I wouldn't worry about something having gotten in through the hole in the screen, since (a) the window wasn't broken and (b) they're a little heavy for a mouse to move.

The hole was obviously made by some creepy semi-human monster living inside trying to get out. And it's probably really mad and really, really hungry by now.

But congratulations and welcome to the Big Fun!!
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
1978 31' Excella 500
Western , New York
That was my initial thought drboyd. You never know what might be lurking in that old barn. There's a ton of wildlife out here though. Raccoons, skunks, squirrels (red and grey/ground) among other things. There was also an 84 Suburban on the property parked and not touched in 2012 next to a black walnut tree. The squirrels literally filled the entire engine compartment full of walnuts and walnut related products. Fortunately the 90 didn't have that problem and it is still in running condition. The 84 was when it was parked, not so sure now.
Inwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
First, our thoughts are with you on the loss of your grandfather. Having recently lost my grandmother, we know it can be difficult.

Second, our trailer sat for over 10 years and has lived in our back yard for the past (almost) three. Everyone here on the Forum was a huge help to us in getting her on the road again. You are extra fortunate in that you have your family memories to add to your trailer's history!!

We made lists upon lists, tried to continually re-evaluate priorities and asked numerous questions. We were also recommended to pick up a copy of the book Newbies Guide to Airstreaming which helped us with the basics. I, like you, was used to being the set up peon with our family's trailer, so I didn't recall much of the more important things.

Congrats on your new addition - we look forward to joining you on your journey!
Jenn & Robb & our two furry kids
Maizie ('the Black Dog') & Dex ('the Brown Dog')
1980 International 31
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
don't get any axles just yet. Go and enjoy the trailer if everything works, and see how you like it. The " gotta get axles" panic here is way over rated...
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Am Heirstream trailer-
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I would check bearings and brakes. Then you can tow it on the road and see whether the suspension is still serviceable. I'm not sure the suspension or axles would deteriorate sitting in a barn or covered storage. ( Did Airstream use rubber suspension in '67?) If it "was meticulously" maintained then the bearings and grease should have been in good shape 16 years ago and are likely still good; if moisture got into the bearings you'll need to replace bearings and seals. Pricy if you can't do it yourself

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote