Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
In need of entrance door help.

Hi everyone just got back from a trip (work) and went to check on the trailer, only to find someone had tried to break into the main door. They tried to get in through the key first, then tried to pry the complete lock plate out of the door as well as prying the door open between the jam and lock. If anyone has an idea as what would be better for the repair I would appreciate any input. A used door in good condition would be the easiest though not the cheapest or would a new outer skin be better, but i think the frame has been bent. I've included some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	172516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	172517  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	172518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	172519  

HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
A picture from a little farther away might be helpful. Sorry for your bad luck.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can re-skin the door or make a patch that covers the damaged area. The patch can be decorative if you do it right. As for the frame, I think you can get it flat again and put a reinforced plate over the part they buggered up. This would also strengthen that area.

It might also be possible to weld extra material to the frame and grind it back to the original contour. Everything can be fixed. I expect the scratches and dents can be knocked out and sanded flat then buffed to get it back to original. A good body shop that does custom work could do it. There are professional restorers on here that might take that on.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Very sorry for your bad luck. I worry every day and night that someone is going to try to break into my '72 Trade Wind, as I work on her restoration. Have seriously considered electrifying the skin....so if some unauthorized scrapper touches her....ZAP!!!
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying View Post
Hi everyone just got back from a trip (work) and went to check on the trailer, only to find someone had tried to break into the main door. They tried to get in through the key first, then tried to pry the complete lock plate out of the door as well as prying the door open between the jam and lock. If anyone has an idea as what would be better for the repair I would appreciate any input. A used door in good condition would be the easiest though not the cheapest or would a new outer skin be better, but i think the frame has been bent. I've included some pictures.
A patch is always a patch.

Your Airstream is too new to use patches.

Call your insurance company.

That's what they are for.

Replace the complete dor, screen door and jamb.

That's the only assurance that the trailer will return to undamaged condition, and most importantly, without a patch.

The complete door assembly with freight and labor, will run about $ 3000.00.

Certainly far below the value of the trailer.

If your good at it, you could replace the door assembly, as it's not a big deal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am also sorry for your damage. These guys were not real bright were they. Tried the hard way to get in and gave up? Popping the door window or the front CS window would have got them in pretty quickly. I can't believe the noise level could have been much different.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Wow, for the cost that Andy estimates above, I think I would be talking to the insurance man. If you don't have full coverage, and have to tackle the repair yourself, it's not too tough to do a full reskin. I decided to replace the original latching mechanism on my '73, which, like your damage, would have required either a reskin or a marginal-at-best patch. I went with the reskin, and so far, it hasn't been too tough. I'm about half done. The replacement latch, that looks just like your original, I bought from PPL, and the aluminum sheet, I bout locally for under $100.

There is a sticky regarding repair of a sprung door. I am using that same approach (in terms of the jig to maintain the door shape) to reskin my door. Working pretty good so far.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sorry for your bad experience, but that's what insurance is for. I'd let them figure out the best way to repair it. You probably wouldn't try to repair your car door, so why take on this project. I'd let the professionals do the job right, so you can move past this.

By the way, did they get in?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Thank everybody for the thoughts on the repair of my door. I'm having the door a d possible the jam replaced. As Andy and so others mention, a patch will look Like a patch, which I do not want. And for those who asked- no they did not get in. If they had broken a window out,it would have been no problem, but trying to pry the door open, the Airstream proved to tough and held strong.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote