Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Improvement on our 20' trailer

We have a 20' trailer with the great rear galley and bath. I get to do the woodworking in our household, and so added some extra shelves. These include a cupboard in the "corner" of the galley, a shelf for my glasses case and pencils, and a shelf on the right and left sides over the bed. The shelves over the bed allow us to move the head end of the bed to the left side, where we can watch TV in bed. I have no idea why the factory put it on the right, because you absolutely can't see the TV from bed that way. What were they thinking??

The "L" shaped galley also allowed us to add a curtain rod over the cupboards as shown. This doesn't get in the way when we open the cupboards and gives us a place to hang towels to dry when it's raining outside.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	262001

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	262002

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	262003

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	262004
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Great additions! I agree....why did the factory put the head of the bed on the wrong side? Weird huh?? I like the glasses shelf. I have been thinking up an idea for a shelf to hold my CPAP machine and glasses. Thanks for the post!!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Isn't there already a factory CATV connection and power outlet on the street-side end of the bed ["left" here] for a 2nd television? Yeah, crazy in some ways . . .

Very nice cabinet mods sallye! Thanks for the photos.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Nice mods sallye! Doing something with the 'wasted' kitchen corner on my 20 footer was in my thoughts also. Thanks for your design.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
RE: Isn't there already a factory CATV connection and power outlet on the street-side end of the bed ["left" here] for a 2nd television? Yeah, crazy in some ways . . .

On our unit there was an outlet on the left side, but that's all. You'd need more that a CATV connection. You'd also need some place to physically mount the TV, and if you did that on the left, then you couldn't watch it from both seats in the dining area. So, moving the head of the bed was the most useful change for us.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Kinda nice how most of us take our ASs and try to make them uniquely ours...part of the fun to add some custom touches. As an aside, and talking about the 20ft model, I shake my head every time i look at the Emergency Exit in my 2010 20ft FC...its the window over the sink and faucet!!! I understand that its been changed since the 2010 model year, but always wonder who the brain was to think of that impossible escape route, and the managers who reviewed and approved it. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Of all new Airstreams, this is my fav

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Re: I shake my head every time i look at the Emergency Exit in my 2010 20ft FC...its the window over the sink and faucet!!! I understand that its been changed since the 2010 model year, but always wonder who the brain was to think of that impossible escape route, and the managers who reviewed and approved it.

Wow, I didn't know that used to be the escape path! Ours is through one of the dinning area windows. That kitchen window is still a bit of a puzzle however. They could have made it just a bit narrower or moved it a bit to the side to make room for a handle to open and close it. If you open it from the outside it can easily just fall into your hands - or onto the ground if you aren't lucky!

So in the 2010 model did the kitchen window have a handle? Or did you have to open it from the outside to escape from it??
Old 06-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Ops, I was wrong. There is a CATV outlet at the "foot" end of the bed, but no where to physically mount the TV that would also allow you to see it from the dinette.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Ops, I was wrong. There is a CATV outlet at the "foot" end of the bed, but no where to physically mount the TV that would also allow you to see it from the dinette.
The TV could be hung from the plywood divider between the bed and the dinette. It would have to be through-bolted IMO (and thus the fasteners would be visible above the front dinette seat), and the correct swinging mount would have be planned ahead of time, in order to be able to swing the television 180 degrees so it ended up over the bed and near the closet. Do-able but the angles may not work perfectly.

I almost did this last month, but I have doubts about the geometry.

Two televisions would work, one in bed, and the existing one over the fridge!

Good luck,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote