Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Trailer wiring can be easy or hard.. Here are a few tricks I learned over the years..

1,, I always have an added ground cable,, like a battery jumper cable between the tow and trailer.. A weak ground can do some very strange effects and back feed power into lights your not even working with..

2: I always start with the tail lights,, and in 90% of the cases they also pass the power to all the clearance lights.

3: Then I work with the left hand turn signal,, then right... Most cases once you have each turn signal working you will find the brake lights will work also..

With our 72 Overlander the main problem was dirty fuse holder blades and dirty bulb sockets and bulb bases... Any major auto parts store sells a brass or steel brush that will fit the inside bulb sockets.. Use a name brand elect.. thermal cleaner and scrub with the brush then rinse again..

If the PO was the type that just cut and strung new wires randomly,, you might find it faster to just start all over and re wire the entire trailer from the start.. Been there and done that several times after days of headaches.
Good luck,,!!

2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman Hemi, 4x4, 6 speed

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Ductwrap, welcome to be the forums. You will find that there is no such thing as a stupid question on here... It's just a question...

You've come to the right place, a place where other crazy airstreamers lurk just waiting to answer questions in the areas where they are knowledgeable.

Welcome and happy airstreaming

thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1966 20' Globetrotter
Starkville , Mississippi
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418316357.990344.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	956.2 KB
ID:	228360Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418316379.418347.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	228361

Few pics of the old girl 10 minutes after being rescued.
ductwrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Wow, the old girl looks pretty good for her age! Thanks for the photos. It's fun to see other vintage Airstreams similar to mine. My son has a 69 Globetrotter. I'd like to get my grubby little hands on it some day. It is the new body style that came out in 69. It is significantly different than our trailers. See photo below.

The exterior skins look good from the photographs. The AC may need replaced. The axles don't look like they have drooped too bad. It has the same "rare" phillips windows that mine has.

So you are ready to begin. Working on exterior lighting and brakes. But then you can begin your assessment of your new old Airstream's condition. Axles, brakes, belly pan, frame, subfloor, plumbing, wiring, electrical systems, appliances, windows, door and lock, and on and on. Once you know what it needs to travel safe, and what it needs to travel comfortably, you can start writing checks! It doesn't all have to be done in a rush. Take your time. I recommend working on the structure first, and then worry about the amenities in the interior.

Mine needed new axles and brakes, I put aluminum wheels on it with new tires, new belly pan, new subfloor insulation, replace floor under bath, remodel bath, new floor covering, new furnace, new water heater, new water pump, new plumbing, new converter, new fuse panel, new black and gray water tanks, new exterior lights and umbilical cord, new window gaskets, and I don't know what else. I've been at it about 700 hours. And this winter I will polish the exterior, seal up the exterior, rebuild the entry door, add a stove and fridge and new mattresses. Then I will be ready to go traveling in it. It's going to be a new old Airstream!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1009 Curbside.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	228390  
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
1965 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , 98133
__________________ link to Glamper Girl on FB
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1966 20' Globetrotter
Starkville , Mississippi
Hi All,

I have tried everything that I know to try to get my exterior lights up and running. My fear is the PO monkeyed with it somewhere down the line and nothing is correct. How involved is a full tow (brake, signals, running, electric brakes, blinkers) rewire?

I have the interior gutted so just the subfloor, bathroom and interior skin left intact. Do I need to cut into the subfloor or remove the interior skin to complete a rewire of the exterior lighting?

Please help, I am ready to pull my hair out, haha. Thanks in advance!!
ductwrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
La Casita
1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Did you look at the tow vehicle fuze box? You may just be missing some tow-related fuzes and relays if the TV wasn't previously used for towing -- at least that was my experience when we first got our AS?
Dan & Liz H

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Rewiring the exterior lighting would be a major, major undertaking. The wire harness runs down the curb side frame channel. You can see the wires with the belly pan down. Then the trailer light wires run up the back of the trailer to the tail lights, and from there to the running lights. It's all run between the skins.

dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote