4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks m.hony

Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
We are thinking about putting in rolled rubber flooring.

They come in 4 foot by 10 foot rolls and are 1/4 inch thick. Each 4'X8' roll weights a little over 50lbs. Each roll can be easy to tie into each other end for end with a hot iron.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
We are thinking about putting in rolled rubber flooring.

They come in 4 foot by 10 foot rolls and are 1/4 inch thick. Each 4'X8' roll weights a little over 50lbs. Each roll can be easy to tie into each other end for end with a hot iron.

Keep us posted if you do, I'd love to know how you felt about it. We are about 6 months out from putting flooring in and haven't decided what to use.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I specify bamboo a lot, and as you can imagine, there is a huge range of quality. I use a commercial grade for interiors and it's bullet proof, but heavy. I used cork in our trailer, and 1) I'd have done a test patch to check my installation technique. Not so great. 2) I'd have been more systematic about tracking down leaks.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Had bamboo installed in my Florida room a few years ago. Looks OK, but believe it is too soft. Scratches very easily. Used FLOR carpet tiles in the trailer....lots of selection, easy to clean (lift up, take outside, hose off, put back). Thought about cork, but after seeing it in my sister's A/S -- glad I did carpet. Anxious to see how the floor in the '15 Classic will wear. It's supposedly what is used in high end boats -- we'll see how the two basset hounds do with it....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
We couldn't decide either and in meantime put in FLOR carpet. Has been two seasons with no regrets so far. May just stay with the FLOR!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
My answer to the original question would be that I would build the gantries and do a shell-off. When I started my reno project, I was still reeling from the "what-have-I-gotten-into?" state, I had no experience, and I knew 80% of my trailer's frame and floor were solid. The thought of a shell-off job was absurd to me at that point.

Now, having repaired, brushed, and painted the frame, added two grey tanks, insulated, sealed up the rear, installed new belly pan and propane lines, in addition to the interior work, I would have been far better off in terms of time and trouble. I wish I knew how many hours I spent flat on my back and slithering in and out over tarps, dirt, and mud.

If you're just starting out, listen to all the folks who have done it: even though it looks harder, you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Just have fun,
Alan
Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Re; flooring, I had carpet replaced with 1/2 inch laminate planks in the kitchen living area, seems to be working out ok.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTex View Post
My answer to the original question would be that I would build the gantries and do a shell-off. When I started my reno project, I was still reeling from the "what-have-I-gotten-into?" state, I had no experience, and I knew 80% of my trailer's frame and floor were solid. The thought of a shell-off job was absurd to me at that point.

Now, having repaired, brushed, and painted the frame, added two grey tanks, insulated, sealed up the rear, installed new belly pan and propane lines, in addition to the interior work, I would have been far better off in terms of time and trouble. I wish I knew how many hours I spent flat on my back and slithering in and out over tarps, dirt, and mud.

If you're just starting out, listen to all the folks who have done it: even though it looks harder, you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Just have fun,
Alan
We are going to replace all the tanks (fresh, grey and black). Other then being on the back while working (thinking about a under car creeper to rest on). Can the tanks be done from top? or can they only be put in from underneath? We will put the trailer up on wheel blocks and also support everything with blocks and jacks while working under it. Put a piece of plywood down and use the creeper to get around.

If the tanks can go in from cutting into the floor, I would like that too, it sounds a lot easier getting plywood off and then the tanks rather then jacking the trailer up, pulling the belly pan, pulling the cover and then the tanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
First, are you replacing tanks because of a redesign or damage? Otherwise, they should be fine for further use.

Second, replacing tanks or doing any significant drain plumbing requires dropping the belly pan and getting at it from underneath. Some folks redesign their system with, say, a black tank above the floor, but the connections will still require at least cutting access into the belly pan.

Making major cuts into the floor should be avoided as it is a key part of the structural integrity of the AS design.

Alan
Old 11-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTex View Post
First, are you replacing tanks because of a redesign or damage? Otherwise, they should be fine for further use.

Second, replacing tanks or doing any significant drain plumbing requires dropping the belly pan and getting at it from underneath. Some folks redesign their system with, say, a black tank above the floor, but the connections will still require at least cutting access into the belly pan.

Making major cuts into the floor should be avoided as it is a key part of the structural integrity of the AS design.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

The tanks are original '79 center bath tanks and according to the service manuals from the PO; The black water tank had been repaired 5 different times and on the 6th it was shut off and a portapot was installed in 1993. The gray tank was repaired 3 different times but hasn't been used since early 2000. The fresh water tank was repaired once and has sat idle since early 2000.

We figured with the prior repairs and sitting for 10 years. We didn't want to chance any Montezuma's Revenge.

At the same time, we may move a few things around a little. Such as placing the toilet at a little of an angle to accommodate my large --Ah--elbows.