Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ligonier , Pennsylvania
I wish I woulda...

With our full scale remod in it's infancy, I'm a little hamstrung by the idea of leaving something out or not doing enough. To all those brave souls who have paved this long road we have ahead of us, what would you do differently? What do wish you would have done or what did you do that was pointless. Thanx in advance for any and all insight.
Deezelcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Above all, keep finishes inside user friendly. What I mean by that is, you're going to a some point track dirt, mud, gravel and even water into the trailer, so pick a floor finish that will stand up to the abuse and not look dirty when it is dirty or swell up if exposed to moisture.

This stuff has a hollow PVC core for insulation value and will not rot as it's vinyl. Other colours and patterns available. Can also be very easily taken up should something disasterous occur.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...I2560070?Num=0

Make sure your finishes on walls and interior gables are tough and easy to clean, as you will rub up against them and or hit them with an item. I chose a Di-noc 3M weave vinyl and a matador post catalyzed laquer paint for my cabinet faces.

http://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company...2343732&rt=rud

Watch your weight on cabinets; face frame construction with no bottoms, backs or even tops as your counter top will be the top of the cabinet. Make any gables just long enough to support your slides.

Good luck
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Don't spend an infinite amount of time making things "perfect". Get out and use them and see how it goes. *NO* project is ever finished ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Deezelcaddy,

You might consider adding a gray water tank in addition to replacing the missing black water tank. (It beats carrying a BlueBoy around with you.) You should also take a good look at the wiring. In '68 Airstream used aluminum wire which is sometimes susceptible to corrosion and heating at connection points (outlets, distribution panel, switches, etc.) You pulled most of the inner skins, so you're in the vicinity and might want to swap to copper, maybe even marine grade (depending on budget.) With the inner skins removed you should also think about replacing the insulation. There are many suggestions here regarding type. We've used styro-foam board when we had anything open. 1 1/2 inch on the straight areas and two layers of 3/4 inch scored for the curves. Regardless of your plans for installing an Air Conditioner, install the drain hose and power cable while the inner skins are removed. You'll probably replace all the plumbing, PEX worked very well for us. Depending on your planned use, you may want to consider the steeper angled axles to give you a couple of additional inches of ground clearance. The trade off is you'll be climbing up an extra two inches on every entry and exit for the next twenty to thirty years or so. Note that you can order new axles with the bearings and brakes, etc, factory installed. So, if you decide the axles need to be replaced, consider ordering that way and don't replace the bearings and brakes before hand. Also consider wheels and tires - an often debated and discussed topic here. We've had two separate rust through leaks on steel wheels and finally went with aluminum wheels on both trailers. Again, with the inner skins out, any damaged exterior panels can be replaced (and you can become buck riveting experts). As a side note, even though 2024-T3 aluminum sheet is not cheap, if you weigh the cost against your polishing time and exertion, you might consider replacing any heavily corroded sheets.

I apologize for the rambling train of thought response, but hope it helps in some way. Keep reading folks' posts on their rebuilds and a lot more ideas will come to mind.

Enjoy,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The fact that you are asking this question suggests you are doing what I would warn against: over-thinking and over-engineering. You can waste months following the path of "as long as I am here..." and "what is the best..." The best solution is often the simplest--don't let the project trailer you convinced yourself would be done in a year stretch out to a 6 year never-ending obligation.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
I second everything 64airstream suggested. I really wish I had added a gray water tank in addition to replacing the black water tank.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Over thinking

You can not over think anything. It just improves your situation. Round off your table corners don't worry about the bed it will still hold up. Don't cut any sliding doors to close to the floor as they will hang up while moving. Use water proof floor to save your sub floor Velcro your seat cushions so they're not on the floor every time you open the door. Use the kind of door slides that ambulances use. Carry tools you'll need them.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Bob View Post
Use the kind of door slides that ambulances use.
What do those slides look like?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Don't spend an infinite amount of time making things "perfect". Get out and use them and see how it goes. *NO* project is ever finished ....

Bob
I concur. I also second the notion about being mindful that you will track dirt into the trailer.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote