Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
I need help what next

I need some advice what do I do next or where do I start. The water is still coming up .Hope full to stop today whole area is flooded
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	269052  
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
This is my ttruck

I hope it stops soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	269053  
Old 08-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Oh man I'm so sorry to see what's happening in your part of the country. I've never experienced flooding personally but it must be a very helpless feeling, seeing the water rise and being able to do anything about it.

As long as you and your loved ones stay safe I guess almost all material things can be replaced, albeit at a cost of much time and money!

Wishing you the best in these tragic circumstances!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow, I'm so sorry! Prayers for you and yours, and everyone else there. Wish we could fight Mother Nature...

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So sorry to see this and the troubles you all must be facing. I agree with the advice earlier - family and friends first - material stuff can be replaced. Wishing you all the best.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Orleans , Massachusetts
So sorry for you! Keep safe and we are sending prayers to all!
ASaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
thanks to all any idea how to dry out

thanks for the prays any Ideas on drying out if possible . Icebox I guess is gone It is only three years old ?And I guess the power supply and maybe the water pump. An some wood work. well this kills the trip to Alaska next year I guess?
Old 08-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Probably need to take lower walls off and replace insulation. I don't know how you would dry that out otherwise. Drop bellypan and get rid of insulation in there too and let dry. A job, to be sure. Maybe if your frig is sprayfoamed insulation, it might be salvageable with new circuit board and propane connections? Wow, I'm REALLY sorry!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
housebj, so sorry to hear you got caught in the terrible flooding. We lived on the Miss. gulf coast for over four years and through several hurricanes. I feel your pain.

Having worked for a number of years as a Red Cross disaster volunteer, I can't stress enough to take pictures, pictures, pictures. Unfortunately, if things have been submerged, as was pointed out above, much of the damage is probably already done. It won't make things like before the flooding, but having good documentation before, during, and after will help with both insurance claims and Red Cross assistance. Anything that can help make the recovery process a little easier is a good thing. The sooner you can get the water drained out the better, but at least with an Airstream it won't be dissolving like SOB masonite and particleboard.

Good luck and God bless!!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If I were in your shoes I would want some advice from someone who has experience with floods, more than well meaning speculation. Good Luck to you.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebg View Post
I need some advice what do I do next or where do I start. The water is still coming up .Hope full to stop today whole area is flooded
First thing in any flooding situation is, get out while the getting is good. Don't stick around to try to save anything other than people and pets. Drowning is the most immediate threat, and you will never know how high the water will get until it's all over. Of course, that bit of advice comes too late this time, but I offer it for other readers who may be faced with flooding situations in the future. Side note, for Hurricane Isaac, an Airstreamer I know towed his Airstream to safety, and then went back home to try to save their possessions by moving them all up into the attic. They ended up being rescued off their roof by boat at the last minute before the roof went underwater, and all their stuff was ruined anyway. They should have stayed with the Airstream. And in fact, their Airstream— which was perfectly safe where they moved it— was their full-time home for over a year until they rebuilt their house. But because they had gone back home, they no longer had a tow vehicle because it was flooded as well. But anyway…

Downed power lines are also a problem after a flood event. You can't know which ones are hot and which ones are dead, and even ones that are supposed to be dead can be energized by some fool who hooks up a generator to his home without pulling the main breaker at the electric meter and back-feeds power into the electric grid.

Floodwater displaces wild critters that will seek out any refuge they can find, and in a battle between them and you, they'll win. So wait until the floodwaters are gone before returning home, and be wary of any wild animals who might have sought refuge at your place. For instance, after Hurricane Audrey, an alligator ended up taking refuge in a high school gymnasium in Lake Charles. But there are also snakes, raccoons, and other wildlife that already lives on the fringes of civilization that can make it unsafe to poke around in whatever debris has accumulated.

Floodwater also carries all kinds of contaminants and diseases, partly because they overflow sewage and septic systems. When you return, avoid standing water unless you have waterproof boots that are higher than the water.

When it is safe to go back home, the first step is to document all the damage, before you do anything else. Without photographs and lists of damages, it will be hard to get your insurance to pay off. In fact, the best time to photograph and document your stuff is when you first buy it, build it, or make it. That way, after a flood event you will have before-and-after pictures to show that the stuff really was damaged. Of course, you don't want to lose the "before" pictures, so keeping them off-site, such as a safe deposit box, is a good idea.

Any vehicle that was flooded shouldn't even be started. Get it towed to a mechanic or dealer who knows how to properly de-water the vehicle. Water in the crankcase, intake manifold, transmission, differential, etc. will mean that trying to start— or worse, drive— the vehicle will damage it even worse than the flooding did.

I'm sure other flood survivors have other tips, but this should be a good start.