Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I have a 74 Safari (23') and have also had problems with blown fuses and dead batteries. My problem was caused by a dry and cracked O ring around my old antenna shaft. Under heavy rains (I live in the Seattle area) the water leaked into the ceiling of the trailer next to where the overhead wires run. The wet insulation shorted the wires to the shell of the trailer. My overhead wires have some inline crimp connectors and this was the location of the shorts. I removed the O ring and replaced it with one from the plumbing dept. at Home Depot. This stopped the leak but as my old antenna was falling apart from corrosion, I eventually removed the old beast (I became tired of fixing the joints). It did make a great branch catcher though! I have also replaced my Univolt with a new Charge Wizard. I'm happy with it and enjoy the peace and quiet. Good Luck!

Larry
Stougard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:09 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet antenna--leak

Wow--I think I need to do some 'digging' and see if I have any moisture from the old antenna site. I have noticed the usual moisture collection. I have thought of just about every way to get that darned roof antenna dismounted. It is too wet at this time to try to dissolve the old residue around the antenna site, but I am going to tackle that project along with others this summer--so thanks for the info!!! How did you patch the area that was left after removing the antenna??
Old 03-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: I need help!!--univolt, antenna,washer/dryer

Quote:
Originally posted by eynstein
I have a 1974 soverign that has the original antenna still attached to the roof. It appears to have roofing tar around the base. I am wanting to remove it. Are there any solvents to aid in removing that black tar??
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover, mineral spirits, lighter fluid, kerosene, gasoline, acetone, will all disolve tar. The more volatile the solvent, the faster it will evaporate, and less time you will have to work with it. It also goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, that these solvents are all flammable to varying degrees, and caution should be exercised when using them.
Terry
Old 03-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: antenna--leak

Quote:
Originally posted by imeynstein
Wow--I think I need to do some 'digging' and see if I have any moisture from the old antenna site. I have noticed the usual moisture collection. I have thought of just about every way to get that darned roof antenna dismounted. It is too wet at this time to try to dissolve the old residue around the antenna site, but I am going to tackle that project along with others this summer--so thanks for the info!!! How did you patch the area that was left after removing the antenna??
A sheet of aluminum, a tube of Vulkem, and some imperial rivets should do nicely.
Terry
Old 03-26-2004, 08:29 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet roof repair after removing antenna

HI!! Thanks for your prompt response! Where did you find your aluminum sheet and how thick was it? I was wondering if Home Depot or Lowe's might have it. Supplies are limited in our area. I did find a hand riveter from Lowe's, but did not know if the rivets that they have would be sufficient enough to secure the aluminum. I also have not seen a rivet shaver at Lowes and was wondering if I would have to order this or has someone out there used something else that could be used on a standard drill for shaving the rivet heads? I have also read that I could use silicone sealant instead of Vulcem, but I do not feel comfortable with that. Guess I would have to order that too......
Old 03-27-2004, 08:01 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Healthy-homes.com

Tad Taylor's site for making clean houses out of airstreams. He says he has the best leak stopper glue around. might want to visist his site- if for no other reasons, than to see all his airstreams! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: roof repair after removing antenna

Quote:
Originally posted by imeynstein
HI!! Thanks for your prompt response! Where did you find your aluminum sheet and how thick was it? I was wondering if Home Depot or Lowe's might have it. Supplies are limited in our area. I did find a hand riveter from Lowe's, but did not know if the rivets that they have would be sufficient enough to secure the aluminum. I also have not seen a rivet shaver at Lowes and was wondering if I would have to order this or has someone out there used something else that could be used on a standard drill for shaving the rivet heads? I have also read that I could use silicone sealant instead of Vulcem, but I do not feel comfortable with that. Guess I would have to order that too......
I have forgotten the gauge of the aluminum, HD and Lowe's both sell aluminum flashing, it is really not thick enough for the job, but if you have a gaping hole in your roof, it is certainly better than the hole. I used regular aluminum rivets to reattach the roof vent assembly on my unit, I just made sure I got Vulkem on the tops of the rivets (where the holes are) so there was no leak.
Andy at Inland RV (www.inlandrv.com) should have the Vulkem and the imperial rivets. He may even have a chunk of sheet aluminum laying around he could provide you, although it is not something I have heard him selling. As far as shaving the rivets, I have not had to grapple with that, yet.
Terry
Old 03-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet

Thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind for sure. I have big plans for my old AS, but only time will tell just how it will all turn out. Wish me luck!