Old 05-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Tanks

I've been working on the frame the past few days, doing some minor welding and getting it ready to paint. POR 15 arrives on Monday, and I hope to have the frame painted by the end of next weekend. I've also been doing a lot of planning and layout. I want to put the black(1), gray(2) and fresh(1) tanks between the frame members (50"x20"x4") because I really don't want the tanks to stick below the belly pan. That just sounds like an invitation for rats. It will be rare that we boondock, so I don't feel like capacity is an issue, but I can't seem to find a 50"x20"x4" black tank. Gray and fresh are no problem. I'd love to not have to order a custom tank, would it be a sin to use a gray tank with hard corners for my black tank? I'm going to put the bathroom in a similar location to urban food's 56 flying cloud (attached pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	262520   Click image for larger version

Name:	urbanfood 56 cloud floorplan.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	262521  

Old 05-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Rotisserie

Using the gantries I built to lift the shell to lift and turn the frame. I'm really glad I decided to do this as a shell off. The idea of pulling the shell is far more intimidating than actually pulling the shell, and being able to easily get to every part of the frame is awesome. Even though the frame is in very good condition I'm going to replace two cross members. One was cut by the PO to scab in a black tank, and the rear most member was rusty enough to replace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	262581  

Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Black tank conundrum

Well, I can't seem to find a 4" thick black tank anywhere, it seems that 5" is the thinnest tank. What to do, what to do? I could add an inch to the cross members of the frame to make the frame 5" thick so an off the shelf tank would fit, but that seems like an awful lot of work. A custom tank is expensive, but probably cheaper and easier than making the frame thicker. Are there really no 4" thick black tanks anywhere? 50"x21"x4" would be perfect...
Old 05-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
A set of 4in framed 2001-2005 22s suffered frame failure. Not sure about the loads involved, but I would investigate the structure required for a robust renovation. A stronger frame might be a good upgrade, but also may be complete overkill. Good luck. Pat
Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
First Coat of POR 15

I finished the welding on the frame yesterday, removed the remaining loose rust, prepped it with POR 15 Metal Prep and got the first coat on the frame. I like the way POR 15 brushes on, it has the consistency of motor oil. If it doesn't rain I'll do the second coat tomorrow, and then I'm stuck with my tank conundrum. I don't want to do an above the floor tank, and I don't want a tank that will stick out below the belly pan, but I can't find a black tank that fits perfectly. Inca will custom make one for $1000, but that's a bit pricy. They have one that almost fits, but part of it will stick one inch below the frame. Since I'm completely replacing the belly pan I'm wondering if I can just have a 1" bulge in the middle to cover this tank? That seems reasonable, but since I've never done aluminum work I don't know what I don't know, and I don't know if this will work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	262842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	262843  

Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #20

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Vintage Trailer Supply sells tanks that are specifically designed for your frame, much cheaper than $1000. I have used them and NOW is the time to fit them, you can replace crossmembers with 4x2" tube for a solid mounting location.

Do some checking on the bearings/seals/brake hubs before you invest in new brakes, you will probably find that every part you have is obsolete and it's cheaper/easier to buy a new loaded axle.

I use 4' wide sheets for the bellypan, run crosswise between the frame rails and overlapped at the crossmembers. The side wraps I run longways and stop them at the main frame rail.

Cool project!!!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Thanks HiHo

I enjoyed reading through the thread on your '63! I know about the tank that Vintage Trailer sells, and I'm going to use it for gray and fresh, but it has a flat bottom so it could be problematic as a black tank. I worked as a plumber many, many moons ago, and the most critical thing you need to know to be a plumber is that s**t goes down hill. Vintage Trailer said that people have used their 50x21x4 tank for black, but I'm a little leery.

RE: your belly pan - are you saying that you rolled the sides separately from the flat part under the trailer?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Tank update

I got the second coat of POR 15 on today, including some on my face. I look like I have new moles, and they won't come off I found a 6 gallon black tank from plasticwatertanks.com that's only 4.25" thick, and I think I can make this work. If I install it so that it sticks above the frame I can hollow out the .75" subfloor and I'll still have .5" on top of the tank. That sounds reasonable to me.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #23

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post

RE: your belly pan - are you saying that you rolled the sides separately from the flat part under the trailer?

Yup. Exactly. The rolled sides and the flat bottom are separate parts, overlapped and riveted at the main frame rail.

If you want a sloped bottom, the gray tank I used in my '63 is 4" at one side and 6" at the other so the 2" dump plumbing exits just below the main frame, has a valve and goes to the hose.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Window Time

I've got the tanks ordered and it's going to be a few weeks, so it's a perfect time to start working on the windows. I worked on one glass frame for about two hours and I think I have about an hour's worth of work to go before it's ready for prime time. The gaskets on the inner frames are borderline, so I'm going to replace them. I'm missing one vertical post that holds the operator and I'm totally striking out finding it. The local sheet metal shop quoted $200 to replicate, and I think it's going to come to that. If you have an old Hehr window sitting around with a vertical you don't need, hit me up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	263510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	263511  

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	263512  
Old 06-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Question...

Wow, windows are a time consuming PITA. I've removed them all, knocked them down completely, but given up trying to polish them. I found a guy who specializes in metal polishing and he's doing it for $500. That's a bargain.

Anyway, my question is regarding the trunk weather strip, which side does it glue to - the hatch or the frame? It was completely gone on this trailer and I can't tell...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	265168  
Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
I absolutely loooooove seeing a good frame ready to go into a project! AWESOME!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobscoob View Post
I absolutely loooooove seeing a good frame ready to go into a project! AWESOME!
Thanks goobscoob! This has been an incredible amount of work so far, but so much fun. I'm a bit obsessed and spend every free minute on the old gal. I hope to get the shell back on the frame before winter. I've got my tanks ordered and once they go end I expect the bottom to go rather quickly.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #28
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
awesome job!! ....I installed the 2 apprx 50x20x4 grey tanks in mine and I don't think you'll be happy with that size in a black ...too much solid ... the greys are really slow to drain and you need to raise the front of the trailer a bit to get 100% out ..... the problem is your drain is at the botton of the 4" side/end and doesn't get everything out the way a bottom drain does. My Black bottom draining (new) tank drains in seconds while the greys take awhile!! Good Luck