Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
I just bought a $400.00 tradewind Help!

Ok, so I just bought a $400.00 tradewind that has been sitting since 1980. I am missing 3 windows and the AC turns on but the fan will not turn. The bathroom is complete but floor is damaged. All my lights work.... Everything is here but not sure where to start.

Can anyone here advise me on where to begin? Should I gut it now?

Oh. by the way, it has a perfect body with only dents around the front belly pan area. It has no scratches or any other flaws.

All advice needed!

Thank You,
star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The floor is what is most critical and would (to me) determine if you should gut first. If it is good (test with an ice pick or sharp small screwdriver around the edges) then I would leave the interior and work on it, starting anywhere and learning as you go along. Lots of help available here. If it has a bad floor, start there with a major restoration, or sell it to someone who can do that kind of work.

That of course is a simplistic answer. There is no real correct on. We all will have different abilities and time frames, and $$ and final results in mind.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I agree with idroba the floor is important. Make sure to check the seals around all openings and replace if necessary. The glass is curved in the 80s trailers I believe, and can be bought from any number of suppliers. Post some pictures please!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The trailer is a 67 that has been sitting since the 80s. The 66-68 trailers had curved Corning windows which unforunatly are not easy to find and very pricey. You have a big project ahead of you, but you are not alone. There are plenty of folks here to help.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If your budget is extremely tight, you might put some Lexan windows in for a while. They are functional and lower cost that the original Cornings.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The floor is what is most critical and would (to me) determine if you should gut first. If it is good (test with an ice pick or sharp small screwdriver around the edges) then I would leave the interior and work on it, starting anywhere and learning as you go along. Lots of help available here. If it has a bad floor, start there with a major restoration, or sell it to someone who can do that kind of work.

That of course is a simplistic answer. There is no real correct on. We all will have different abilities and time frames, and $$ and final results in mind.
Thanks for the reply! I don't have to poke the bathroom with anything, it has rotten floor that would consist of may 1/4 the room area. It also has a soft spot by the door. I am going to to an off body restoration by taking it off the frame.

I know this will be costly but this is what I have figured so far!

1. to rebuild the frame myself, and the cost of new steel will be about $800.00 not including my hours.

2. new sub flooring

3. replacement windows

4. the interior would consist of my own taste, so this could be around $1500.00

I figure that I will have about $3500.00 in my camper when all is said and done.

I am planning on starting the dismantling process this Weekend. I will use chain hoist to raise it off the trailer.

I will post pics this weekend!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
If your budget is extremely tight, you might put some Lexan windows in for a while. They are functional and lower cost that the original Cornings.
I will look into the Lexan windows, this might save some $$$$$, thanks for your imput.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I agree with idroba the floor is important. Make sure to check the seals around all openings and replace if necessary. The glass is curved in the 80s trailers I believe, and can be bought from any number of suppliers. Post some pictures please!
I will post pics this Weekend!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Just remember, what ever you pay for a vintage trailer is only the down payment.

Best of luck with your project...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
As far as the A/C try removing the cover, locating the fan and simply lubing it a bit. You may have to carefully apply a bit of muscle to break it loose. It will be really nice to have some cool air while working in the interior.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
As far as the A/C try removing the cover, locating the fan and simply lubing it a bit. You may have to carefully apply a bit of muscle to break it loose. It will be really nice to have some cool air while working in the interior.
tim
I am working on the A/C today! The evaporator core is getting cold. The fan motor will not turn, the fan has dual shafts so both fans are on one motor.

The motor will turn by hand but it is ver very hard to turn. Thanks for the info, do you have any more advice?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Thanks for the reply! I don't have to poke the bathroom with anything, it has rotten floor that would consist of may 1/4 the room area. It also has a soft spot by the door. I am going to to an off body restoration by taking it off the frame.

I know this will be costly but this is what I have figured so far!

1. to rebuild the frame myself, and the cost of new steel will be about $800.00 not including my hours.

2. new sub flooring

3. replacement windows

4. the interior would consist of my own taste, so this could be around $1500.00

I figure that I will have about $3500.00 in my camper when all is said and done.

I am planning on starting the dismantling process this Weekend. I will use chain hoist to raise it off the trailer.

I will post pics this weekend!
$3500 seems awful low to me. Once you get in there you'll most likely end up replacing the plumbing, heater, AC, much of the bathroom, etc. And if it has been sitting it will need new axles / breaks as well (tires too unless they recently put new ones on) which is $2000 or more right there... I would budget more to be safe...just my two cents. It's a lot of hours, but very fun.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
If you still haven't gotten the fan blades to turn, spary WD-40 LIBERALLY on the shafts. Best to keep away from electrical connections, but I believe they are behind a shroud anyhow.
If you can afford it, I'd go with a marine grade plywood for your subflooring. There will always be a possible leak just waiting to happen, so why not be a bit pro-active.
If you do remove the inner skin, consider a better insulation. As well, if inner skin is removed, I'd go over each and every panel joint with approved caulking. NEVER ever use a silicone based caulking on aluminum. You can buy the 'approved' caulking at vintagetrailersupply.com, I was able to find some at a local retailer, but I'm in a fairly large metropolitan area.
Can't wait to see your photos.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Let me throw in my usual words of caution: I think your estimate for cost of refurb is super low. The trailer you describe will likely need everything replaced except the shell itself ('67 trailer, hasn't moved in 30 years, broken windows letting in the weather and critters). I have been working on a 21' trailer that I thought was in pretty good shape for a year now, and the shell was just put back on last weekend. As you get busy working, you will realize the scope of the project. I don't know how many times I have justified buying better components, just thinking "as long as I am here..."

One major recommendation I would have is to evaluate the condition of the floor first. When you have convinced yourself to just proceed with the shell-off, don't futz around underneath the trailer, just build some gantries and lift the shell. Then you can use those gantries to flip the frame over, and you can do all your belly pan, tank and frame mods, and replace axles from above.

You might also want to get the old episodes of The VAP podcast. There is a lot of "manage your expectations" type conversation on the early episodes. Should help you when the rot, rust, and zombie mice start haunting your dreams.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
I just finished the repairs on my 1968 Globetrotter and I will bet you will need to do just about everything regarding electrical and plumbing. Before you start go rent Tom Hanks, The Money Pit. Then everything will be fine.
Seriously, be patient and chip away at it. If it takes a few years to rebuild you will own a gem. The 60's trailers are great. I am here to help. Have alot of great sources for you for parts. Good Luck. Post some in and out photos!
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
Little Compton , Rhode Island
resto

Don't get carried away with the idea that you HAVE TO do a skin-off floor repair. Check floor over very carefully. You might luck out and be OK with sectioning in some areas followed by a liberal coating of epoxy sealer from the Rot Doctor. Don't laugh, it works when used realistically.
I have seen ambitious, full tear-downs, with the best of intentions, go bad and never get completed.
Airstream Forums is definitely the place to find answers. I read it every night and always learn something new!!
Best of luck.
Collapso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
$3500 seems awful low to me. Once you get in there you'll most likely end up replacing the plumbing, heater, AC, much of the bathroom, etc. And if it has been sitting it will need new axles / breaks as well (tires too unless they recently put new ones on) which is $2000 or more right there... I would budget more to be safe...just my two cents. It's a lot of hours, but very fun.
To clarify the error of my ways! The $3500.00 was meant to include the frame repair, sub floor, and interior. The $3500.00 did not include the windows and plumbing and axles or brake and the water heater. I know that is going to cost quite a bit more.

Sorry I misled you to think I was going to be running down the road in 4 days and for $3500.00

I am taking it in steps. I accidentally went from frame repair to interior to a rally....I WAS TOO EXCITED!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Gates View Post
I just finished the repairs on my 1968 Globetrotter and I will bet you will need to do just about everything regarding electrical and plumbing. Before you start go rent Tom Hanks, The Money Pit. Then everything will be fine.
Seriously, be patient and chip away at it. If it takes a few years to rebuild you will own a gem. The 60's trailers are great. I am here to help. Have alot of great sources for you for parts. Good Luck. Post some in and out photos!
Randy
LOL! I got carried away, and wished I was camping this weekend!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Star,
I had been lurking around here for months. My lovely wife had set her sights on an AS and impulsive me just wanted an "rv" Like always, after 30+ years of marriage (you would think I would learn) I deferred to her judgement and we found ours. We got lucky. Made our maiden voyage a week ago right out of the purchase. The previous owner was a retired judge that we have known since high school. He had spent his retirement years fixing our silver bullet up and left the interior as is. 1975...
But, it is our Money Pit. Just as in the movie, it is yours and in the end what was titled a money pit turned into a labor of love that today and tomorrow we are proud of.
On our maiden voyage we were the only Airstream owners in the entire park. The week we were there we got so many compliments. Very happy that I listened to my lovely wife. Now we get to everyday make it ours. Good luck on your project!!!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
Star

1967 24' Tradewind
pierre , South Dakota
Ok...everyone! I got too excited and wanted this fixed immediately. After working on this today I can clearly see how long this will take. I am going to try and just repair the bathroom area floor as it seems to be the worse. I removing everything out of the bathroom to remove that piece of sub flooring. If I am not see a lot of frame damage, maybe just maybe...I can get by without a total frame off. But again I said maybe!

My air conditoner is blowing cold air, but the fan will not turn. My refrigerator will not work. I don't know about the stove. I am shocked that all my lights work. This is going to require extensive work and time. For me time is the enemy because Winter is knocking on my door. Thanks for all your advice, yes it took a little wind out of my sail but you all were honest. Ok, so if I have a good winter and if everything goes well...just maybe (Pretty Girl) my camper will be ready next summer.

I will post pics of before and after from time to time.

Thank you all!