Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
I hate the Airstream thermostat

When I turn on the thermostat on my brand new FC ,
Both the heat pump and furnace come on, even though both programs say they are off,,, doesn't make any difference if it set on HP or furnace, both units come on, why is this so complicated ?,,,two programs, zones that don't work on this model,and Mode settings that seem to make no difference ,,,Anyone have any luck replacing with a different model,,,,?
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Hmm, mine seems to work as it should. It was a pain to learn how to use it though. You have two zones? Is that a 50 amp system? Mine is thirty with one zone as far as I know.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
No
Only one zone, it's just confusing they even have zones listed on the darn thing
I finally discovered it has a delayed action on it,,,nothing actually happens until it stops flashing
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Your Dometic Comfort Control II (CCC-II) thermostat is a universal model that can control up to 4 zones (typically used on larger RVs), which is why you have more than one zone available. You should only be able to see ZONE 1 if it has been properly installed and programmed.

There are certain fan settings that will cause the blower (not the heat pump) from the A/C-heat pump unit to activate when the furnace in engaged. Dometic did this to help circulate the warm furnace air so that it does not collect at the roof level of the trailer. This should be explained in your CCC-II manual, which I suggest you read thoroughly at least several times to fully acquaint yourself with the options available on your CCC-II and it's overall operation.

It can be most confusing for a new owner, and unfortunately, most folks involved in the delivery process of new units don't have a clue how these devices work.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #5
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Thanks for the info
Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
There are certain fan settings that will cause the blower (not the heat pump) from the A/C-heat pump unit to activate when the furnace in engaged.
This was the solution I found when I thought I had the same problem. The fan must be set to "auto" when using the furnace, otherwise the HP fan will come on with the furnace.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
This was the solution I found when I thought I had the same problem. The fan must be set to "auto" when using the furnace, otherwise the HP fan will come on with the furnace.
BINGO!!!!!

You win the internet today!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
BINGO!!!!!

You win the internet today!!!
Finally!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In addition to the great advice so far, the manual for your stat has instructions on doing a hard reboot/reset in case it continues to give you problems. This seems to clear up many other issues reported on various threads.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- In our FC20's non-ducted heat system, when the furnace comes on, it is actually helpful to have the heat pump fan also come on, as this distributes the heated air better. Noisy but quicker to reach temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonedad View Post
Both the heat pump and furnace come on, even though both programs say they are off,,, doesn't make any difference if it set on HP or furnace, both units come on, why is this so complicated ?,,,two programs, zones that don't work on this model,and Mode settings that seem to make no difference ,,,Anyone have any luck replacing with a different model,,,,?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
In my 25RB I had the same heat distribution problem. Most of the hot air discharged in the front end and center of my trailer leaving the bedroom with very little heat. I solved it by replacing the discharge grills with grills that had built in dampers. Now I can balance the air flow more evenly. I purchased the dampers at Camping World.
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonedad View Post
You too??
On my 25'er, CanAm had to replace the thermostat for the same reason; but it was the Airconditioner AND the furnace at the same time.
On my 30'er, it worked just fine and still does.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
You too??
On my 25'er, CanAm had to replace the thermostat for the same reason; but it was the Airconditioner AND the furnace at the same time.
On my 30'er, it worked just fine and still does.

I'll bet it was really just the fan that was running. I thought it was the heat pump in my case, but it turned out to be just the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Thermostat Delay

A really important point made previously is the 5-10 second delay that occurs when a mode is selected. I thought my thermostat wasn't working until I discovered this.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote