Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
So glad no one got hurt. What a scare I’m sure! I always think one day that will happen to us. Just remember this ...

‘If man made it. Man can fix it!’

A good friend of ours told me that when we had to replace the rear 22” of flooring of our ‘04 Airstream. Those words have has helped me since and in other situations as well and I think about that daily in our journey to rebuild the ‘48 Liner.

It may take time but The Mothership will make it right again. How bad is the interior? Could you in fact continue this journey? If it was me and no major interior compromise I would go to your event! You know there will be plenty of help there, if needed, to get you through the event. Wally would continue. I’ve asked that question in our journeys many times - ‘What would Wally do? ‘ Good luck and keep us posted on how the repair goes. Jackson Center is a great place to go for repairs.

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
Ugh. We are on our way to the Urban Air Rally and decided to take the scenic route. Which means small towns and stopping for left turning cars. We stopped. The guy behind me didn’t.
He was thriving an old plow truck without the plow, so the hydraulic lift did most damage.
After calling 911 and changing info, we had to find body shop to pry out the locker door, since that’s where out electric cords and hoses were stored. We got to a KOA at dusk and now have to regroup.
Thank goodness I had a trip to the factory planned from months ago for some warranty work. I guess we may have to leave it there a little longer than planned!
Ugh againAttachment 309002Attachment 309003
Bummer............Hope no one got hurt.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ouch! Sorry to see this...but glad you are OK. and JC will make your trailer OK again, too.

Everything will work out.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
"Score one for the dash cam that clearly shows them at the bottom of the on-ramp before she tried to occupy the same space as the trailer moments later."

Whose dash cam was it? Yours? If not, how did the cops manage to be there to get a video?
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
‘If man made it. Man can fix it!’

Good to see you online, Ms Rivet. Here's an alternative:

"If man made it, man can mess it up."
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
My dash cam, driving in Southern California it's almost mandatory equipment. Too many bad drivers with questionable ethics...
Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #27
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
So sorry to see this accident with a lovely new new rig. My bet is that the repair will be extensive and I hope that the driver is well insured. The factory is the best bet for a good outcome, imo.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:03 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
My dash cam, driving in Southern California it's almost mandatory equipment. Too many bad drivers with questionable ethics...
Wow. It's really sad that you have to have that. As we travel mostly up and down the midsection of the country, I wish we had one while driving in Florida and Chicago. Our rear view camera helps avoid accidents, but I don't think it records anything for evidence.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
"Score one for the dash cam that clearly shows them at the bottom of the on-ramp before she tried to occupy the same space as the trailer moments later."

Whose dash cam was it? Yours? If not, how did the cops manage to be there to get a video?
The forward facing dash cam won’t show the merging car, unless it was IN the merging car. I have one in the rear window of the truck but that would only show the front of my trailer if I was towing. The law would be in your side as merging traffic has to yield to those already on the freeway during a merge. I’ve met maybe 2 people who understand this.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I'm the OP. Just an update.
The guy who hit us insurance co. (Progressive) took full responsibility for the repairs. We left the AS in JC for the repairs starting on April 30. It should be finished soon. Buck rivets and all.
The problem is the they were not receptive to have it shipped back to us in Vermont. The shipper that AS uses quoted $1365.00.
First they said no $ because I chose to have it fixed in Ohio. They claim that I should have towed the damaged trailer home and get it fixed closer. When I spoke to a manager and explained that it was a 2018 AS and that they don't get fixed at any RV dealer, they offered $200.00 "courtesy" stipend. I refused. When I got a survey on my satisfaction of the claim, I was not very kind, so I got another bump to $300.00.
I was silent for a couple of days and spoke to my insurance co. They were great and actually called Progressive on my behalf. Still, no movement, so it was suggested that I talk the State of Vermont Insurance Dept. I guess that started some pressure. They then came up with $527.00, all itemized, claiming that what is it would cost me to go get it (1600 miles R/T). That seems cheap for a 4 day grind of a trip.
I guess that the State put pressure on. Just today they agreed to pay the $1365.00 since they now realize that the factory is the right place to get it repaired.
YAY. 6 weeks later, a small victory for waiting it out.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good for you SB55. I had a similar problem with a different carrier (and I work at an insurance company!).
My trailer was hit while in the storage yard by my storage neighbor who got my phone number from the manager of the storage yard and called me sick to his stomach for the mistake. I told him no problem - this is why we have insurance. His carrier (Met) was great with the cost of the repairs as estimated by photos sent to the factory. But when I told them I decided this repair needed to be done at the factory - that's when we got in to trouble. After going up 3 levels, I finally wrote a letter to the Chairman. I had found an industry consortium who tracked the average per mile cost to transport an RV at I think $2.20 per mile and even though I decided to take it there myself I wanted that national average for the round trip.

I was told first I could have it worked on at any car dealer (which said they didn't understand aluminum) then they said there were AS dealers closer to me - but I explained this isn't like getting a mass produced vehicle (like a Honda Civic) repaired where there are hundreds of thousands of them and dealers in every town. Even AS dealers might only see 1 or 2 of these a quarter for this kind of repair while the factory may do 2 a day. Finally I asked if I didn't have the right to take this to the repair shop of my choice - especially when I had nothing to do with this and his insured was 100% at fault. Eventually I got what I asked for as a "courtesy". Grateful for that but resentful for the amount of legwork I had to do to be my own advocate and for the reinforcement of the negative stereotype about (some) insurance carriers trying to underpay claims (and truth be told, I don't know what policy the guy who hit me had so I don't know what they were adjudication against).

All that to say - good job and glad you got fair compensation!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote