Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I got my A/S.. But...

Richard, who sold me the trailer was very thorough with the pre-trip inspection - he even locked the door, to make sure it would not come open on the trip.. Well it didn't, won't and can't.

The act of that last turned the key, broke the lock, locked. I checked out everything you had told me to check, and was happy, but now I can't get in to play with it.

Has anyone any tips on how to get into an Airstream that is locked, and the key operates, (i.e. turns) but does not do anything. The handle pulls outward as it should, but nothing disengages - the door will not open, and I am very reluctant to pull overly hard - I have just got the beastie, I do not want to break it.

As you probably can tell, this post is a

HELP!!!! PLEASE type of post..

Theo
Old 01-13-2004, 03:04 AM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Calm down Theo.

Andy at Inland RV can tell you how to get into your AS without breaking anything.
Give him a call.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
PS Theo

The info Andy might give you is highly classified, He might give you instructions but then he will be obliged to off you.
Proceed at your own risk.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Have you tried

Theo

Sorry to hear about your problem with the door's lock..
This suggestion is not "hi-tech" but, it could get you in.
Take your keys to one of the side compartment doors..Open it and, have someone who is "slender" crawl in. Chances are that, they'll have to move the mattress aside to get up. But..once in, they could open the door for you....
Is that helpful?
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
I had a similar problem last summer - try this before doing anything more drastic!
Push in on the door and at the same time, pull the flap. The door has to be unlocked for this to work, so do it a couple of times with different key positions.
If you get someone inside through one of the side panels and the door won't open from the inside, then they will need to pull the door towards them as they activate the handle.
Cheers.
gvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
I just tried the pushing trick.. it was a different experience - something clicked as I pulled the flap. I confirmed also that there are not any compartments to unlock.. maybe I should make one..

I will hunt for Inland RV's number, and call..

Theo
Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Forgive me for asking the obvioius question - but I've done enough painfully stupid things in my own life that it might be worth a shot.

You did mention that this was a new (your first?) airstream - and your post refers to "the key" - singular.

I use two keys to lock my door - one for the door lock - the other for the dead bolt.

Hope its this simple.

Jay
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
It is my first Airstream, but is not a new one.. 1972 Safari.

There is only one keyhole.. So I presume only one key needed. I wish it was a simple thing. I have spent about an hour, trying to coax the thing to open, but nothing works.. At present I have a very nice lawn decoration.

Theo
Old 01-13-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Don't know about the 72's but I will tell you that the late 60's locks are hardly high-security. Once when I misplaced the key, we simply took a keyring of similarly sized keys from other locks and tried them. Opened the door on the fourth try.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation While you're at it...

Theo

This is worth noting..
While you're at it working on your door..Just be very careful not to break it..The cost for a replacement lock is over 400$. (Oops, Andy says," The cost is 600$"..sorry abt that..)
I'd give Andy a call..800-877-7311
Good Luck~

ciao

Did I read you to say that, there's no outside compartments?
That seems odd..
But then I've not seen your unit..I just figured all Airstreams had at least one..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:39 AM   #11
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
The only things on the outside, other than me, are.....

A battery box, at the end, an access panel to the rear of the fridge, and a opening to fill the water tank.. That is it. I am even desperate enough to have walked round four times, looking for the hatch that wasn't there..

Theo
Old 01-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If you can get the door open, rather than use the lock again, have a deadbolt installed. Much cheaper and more secure than the original latch. I have a nice stainless steel deadbolt on mine and it looks like it was factory installed.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Pick
You have a picture of your lock? Where do we get one that will look as good as yours.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:06 AM   #14
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Pick, that is a great idea.. I will do that.

I got in. With the careful application of a very small crow bar, I manged to get in, to discover the lock needs rebuilding - the handle does not draw the tongue fully out of the recess, so that needs addressing now. However the metal of the handle, lock and surround is corroded to the ugly gray pitted mess that all such things decompose to.. SO, where is the best place to get a replacement lock, that looks good, and fits the door of a '72 Safari.

Other problems will be noted here, then listed where they seem to fit best..

Problem with holding tank, and bathroom.
Problem with cooker - no gas getting to it.
Problem with trailer lights - bulbs ok but don't light.
Problem with trailer lights - how to remove screws without killing lens.
Dings look bad, how to get rid of..
Ceiling lights, how to remove plastic lens thing.
How to remove, replace or re-color the counter tops - they are fine, but not a nice color.

Anyone who can suggest where best to put the above, please do so.

But, at least I am inside it now...

Theo
Old 01-13-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Congrats on your new project. It should be fun (mostly) to rehab. We recently redid a mid seventies argosy. The costs and some of the projects are posted in another thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=8173 We did new counter and table as well as new water lines and plumbing fixtues. Good luck.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #16
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
You did a great job Janet.. You should start up an Airstream refit center, with me as the first client..

I will probably spend a lot more than you did. as somethings are tooooo far gone. I need to figure out how to test the furnace - how do these things work??

The fridge works great - filthy, but great, now we have some very cold mank..

The cooker works, but was turned off, so I need to check for leaks.. *bang, theo without hair, "another leak found."*

Water problems... I need to learn about them, so I will be spending another night reading this board. What can go wrong with the toilet, black tank and other such crud..? there is a faint but legible sign on the toilet..... Do not use. So why, I wonder. It should be compulsory for folk to fill in a report on everything they find wrong, and can't be bothered to fix. A note book, stuck to the wall would be a great help right now.

Other than that, which tires to buy.... I will hunt the site again. This is a very, very useful place to be. Thanks guys.

Theo
Old 01-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

tires

I have seen far too many trailers & "campers" with auto and truck tires on them...do the right thing here...buy trailer rated tires. Every tire sold in the USA must have a tread wear rating, traction rating adn load range rating...also included in the stampings are the year which a tire is made. The year is included in the numbers and letters code behind or near the DOT stamp.

We all get passionate about the interior things that we want to fix...don't forget to "insure" your investment by taking care of the most important issues of a renovation - brakes, frame integrity, propane system (NO LEAKS! not even just a little one), hitch and ball socket condition, safety chains, trailer running lights, correct weight distributing hitch system.

You can't enjoy using your rig camping if it & YOU don't make it to the campground.

Best of luck in your renovations.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:48 AM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Lock and more....

Theo...

I had to rebuild my door lock on my '71. It should be the same as your '72. The cost of a new hand built lock is around $600 as you have been told. So rebuilding is the way to go.

New parts can be had at decent prices from Oasis RV . Here is a exploded view of the lock that should help you identify the parts you will need.

You can also browse my website. I have documented several repair topics that may be of interest to you. Use the www button or the link in my signature line.

Good luck with your money pit, er ah.... project
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Also...

...do a "search" on any topic you may be interested in and you'll find many threads related to it hopefully. I had a problem with my lock and had to replace with a new but different sized one because the one from my '81 motorhome was not available anymore, and no one could rebuild it. But I also had a stainless steel deadbolt installed and it's awesome. I found it through the search here, but I've forgotten whose excellent handiwork it was. I'm not that adept at stuff like that, so I paid an RV place to do it for me after giving him pics of the installation from this site.

Good luck and have fun.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:37 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MileHigh
Hey Theo,

About those "Ugly" countertops.........

I've been involved in "re-habing" several houses, and I've found something that works REALLY Well.

Most of the houses we've done have had Old, Outdated Colored, Formica hard plastic counter-tops.

I thought we probably would have to have them redone with new formica, until I came across a guy that can apply a hard spray
finish of some sort in any color you can imagine.

I was skeptical at first, wondering if it would be durable, and not scratch....Not the case at all...Our guys have dropped hammers and everything else on those refinished countertops and they look GREAT.

There are people all across the country who do this. I think they buy franchises. Apartment Complexes are probably their biggest market as you can imagine.

I'll bet if you check around, maybe even check with a few apartment complexes in you area,...you'll probably come across someone who does it.

It's a GREAT Product and it'll make those "ugly" countertops look absolutely like "Brand NEW" , and in whatever color you want !

It's not a do it yourself deal,....but it costs a Fraction of what it would to remove and replace your existing countertops.

If you are interested and want to find out more info,....drop me an e-mail and I'll find our guy's number and he can answer your questions and maybe tell you how to find someone out your way......

This stuff may even work on showers to, I don't know.....

Rick
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote