Old 01-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Congrats on your new project. It should be fun (mostly) to rehab. We recently redid a mid seventies argosy. The costs and some of the projects are posted in another thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=8173 We did new counter and table as well as new water lines and plumbing fixtues. Good luck.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #16
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
You did a great job Janet.. You should start up an Airstream refit center, with me as the first client..

I will probably spend a lot more than you did. as somethings are tooooo far gone. I need to figure out how to test the furnace - how do these things work??

The fridge works great - filthy, but great, now we have some very cold mank..

The cooker works, but was turned off, so I need to check for leaks.. *bang, theo without hair, "another leak found."*

Water problems... I need to learn about them, so I will be spending another night reading this board. What can go wrong with the toilet, black tank and other such crud..? there is a faint but legible sign on the toilet..... Do not use. So why, I wonder. It should be compulsory for folk to fill in a report on everything they find wrong, and can't be bothered to fix. A note book, stuck to the wall would be a great help right now.

Other than that, which tires to buy.... I will hunt the site again. This is a very, very useful place to be. Thanks guys.

Theo

Old 01-13-2004, 07:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

tires

I have seen far too many trailers & "campers" with auto and truck tires on them...do the right thing here...buy trailer rated tires. Every tire sold in the USA must have a tread wear rating, traction rating adn load range rating...also included in the stampings are the year which a tire is made. The year is included in the numbers and letters code behind or near the DOT stamp.

We all get passionate about the interior things that we want to fix...don't forget to "insure" your investment by taking care of the most important issues of a renovation - brakes, frame integrity, propane system (NO LEAKS! not even just a little one), hitch and ball socket condition, safety chains, trailer running lights, correct weight distributing hitch system.

You can't enjoy using your rig camping if it & YOU don't make it to the campground.

Best of luck in your renovations.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Lock and more....

Theo...

I had to rebuild my door lock on my '71. It should be the same as your '72. The cost of a new hand built lock is around $600 as you have been told. So rebuilding is the way to go.

New parts can be had at decent prices from Oasis RV . Here is a exploded view of the lock that should help you identify the parts you will need.

You can also browse my website. I have documented several repair topics that may be of interest to you. Use the www button or the link in my signature line.

Good luck with your money pit, er ah.... project
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Also...

...do a "search" on any topic you may be interested in and you'll find many threads related to it hopefully. I had a problem with my lock and had to replace with a new but different sized one because the one from my '81 motorhome was not available anymore, and no one could rebuild it. But I also had a stainless steel deadbolt installed and it's awesome. I found it through the search here, but I've forgotten whose excellent handiwork it was. I'm not that adept at stuff like that, so I paid an RV place to do it for me after giving him pics of the installation from this site.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:37 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MileHigh
Hey Theo,

About those "Ugly" countertops.........

I've been involved in "re-habing" several houses, and I've found something that works REALLY Well.

Most of the houses we've done have had Old, Outdated Colored, Formica hard plastic counter-tops.

I thought we probably would have to have them redone with new formica, until I came across a guy that can apply a hard spray
finish of some sort in any color you can imagine.

I was skeptical at first, wondering if it would be durable, and not scratch....Not the case at all...Our guys have dropped hammers and everything else on those refinished countertops and they look GREAT.

There are people all across the country who do this. I think they buy franchises. Apartment Complexes are probably their biggest market as you can imagine.

I'll bet if you check around, maybe even check with a few apartment complexes in you area,...you'll probably come across someone who does it.

It's a GREAT Product and it'll make those "ugly" countertops look absolutely like "Brand NEW" , and in whatever color you want !

It's not a do it yourself deal,....but it costs a Fraction of what it would to remove and replace your existing countertops.

If you are interested and want to find out more info,....drop me an e-mail and I'll find our guy's number and he can answer your questions and maybe tell you how to find someone out your way......

This stuff may even work on showers to, I don't know.....

Rick
Old 02-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Theo,
That is the same style lock that is on my '77 Excella 500. I remember locking the unit on the way back from a trip, unlocked it when I got home and it would not open. A call to Andy at Inland and I ordered a new tumbler with 2 keys. I remember this being around $54 almost 3 years ago. Instructions call for you to drill out the tumbler, pull out a snap ring if it doesn't fall out and then insert the new tumbler. I haven't had a problem with it since. They sure are right about pushing the door in slightly before pulling the tab. I usually put my thumb on the tumbler part of the lock and pull as I push in. Works for me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by MileHigh
Hey Theo,

About those "Ugly" countertops.........

I've been involved in "re-habing" several houses, and I've found something that works REALLY Well.

Most of the houses we've done have had Old, Outdated Colored, Formica hard plastic counter-tops.

I thought we probably would have to have them redone with new formica, until I came across a guy that can apply a hard spray
finish of some sort in any color you can imagine.

I was skeptical at first, wondering if it would be durable, and not scratch....Not the case at all...Our guys have dropped hammers and everything else on those refinished countertops and they look GREAT.

There are people all across the country who do this. I think they buy franchises. Apartment Complexes are probably their biggest market as you can imagine.

I'll bet if you check around, maybe even check with a few apartment complexes in you area,...you'll probably come across someone who does it.

It's a GREAT Product and it'll make those "ugly" countertops look absolutely like "Brand NEW" , and in whatever color you want !

It's not a do it yourself deal,....but it costs a Fraction of what it would to remove and replace your existing countertops.

If you are interested and want to find out more info,....drop me an e-mail and I'll find our guy's number and he can answer your questions and maybe tell you how to find someone out your way......

This stuff may even work on showers to, I don't know.....

Rick
Theo, there are also people that will re-coat your sink and cooktop with another color, if yours are painted and you don't like the color, or if it is chipped or discolored.
Terry