Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I've been all over mine (not the end caps) and by staying on the rib rivet lines I've never had a problem. I've installed two FFs and changed the a/c unit using this method.

At first I made a simple scaffold by leaning a padded ladder against each side and bridging across from ladder to ladder with a 2x12 and a rope tying the bottom of the ladders together underneath the trailer, but after working off of it for a while my back told me that something else was going to have to happen and I found that my big butt was easily supported by stepping only on the ribs. A piece of thick plywood which bridges across 3 ribs can be handy when you have to kneel for a long time.

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I use a straight ladder, lean it against the door framing with a pad insulation and lift up two 4 x 2 pieces of board as work area/support platforms. They bridge across the ribs or rivet areas and it is more secure. You have to be careful as things move and slide. It has helped a lot. The roof on mine is not that solid feeling as it flexes. Perhaps that is different than the older ones but I would not get up there and move around too much without focusing on using the rib areas as support.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
I've been able to work on mine by leaning too - that might not work with one of the newer widebody models.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I cut a 2x12 3.5 ft and covered it with carpet.When I am on the roof it spans the rivet supports and is more comfortable to work up there and easily moved.Lean the ladder on drip rail over the door.I put duct tape on the drip rail first so not to scratch it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
When I need to be on the Tin Picke's roof I wear sneakers and use an 8' step ladder to get up there. The rolled up awning is a handy way to keep from sliding down during ladder/roof transition. I stay on rivet lines as much as possible, and never go on end-caps. I'm over 200 lbs, and the roof felt fine when I installed the solar panels.

The hardest thing to do is anticipating every tool you'll want; I end up going up and down a fair bit, so using the awning has made that a lot more practical.

Working on the roof is not difficult, but it does require "being in the moment" to prevent mistakes. If you can't work on a 4:12 house roof, you prob. don't want to be on the Airstream either.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
That reminds me Bart - I have a nylon tool bag attached to a rope that I can haul up after I'm on top. I put everything in it that I might ever possibly need (including a roll of paper towels) and that saves me a lot of vertical commuting.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
That reminds me Bart - I have a nylon tool bag attached to a rope that I can haul up after I'm on top. I put everything in it that I might ever possibly need (including a roll of paper towels) and that saves me a lot of vertical commuting.
Yup, that works... but once I'm up on the roof I think of some tool I left out of the tool bag . Of course, if I did the same job up there more than once, I'd have things better figured out.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
But that nylon bag won't keep the beer cold very long!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
One note: I've gone up in the summer in bare feet to wash the roof. Once. Bare feet + car wash soap is a pretty good recipe for a slip-n-slide.

I stick to rivet lines, weigh ~ 200# and have not had a problem, other than traction.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
I take a large, thick bathroom rug with foam non slip back and place it near the area I am working on. Then staying on the rib line, spread out on it..it works
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Danville , California
dent on rear cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
1) The only truly soft areas are the front and rear end cap; stay off them.

2) You get up to the top by leaning a ladder against the side with suitable padding where the ladder contacts the shell. I use old towels held in place on the ladder with electrical tape. Be sure the ladder extends at least 3 rungs over the roof so you can hold onto it to keep your balance.

3) Once you're on the roof, you can step anywhere there's a rivet.

4) Safety is a major concern, use the buddy system, be sure of the ladder and the stability of the ground it contacts.
Hi Jammer,

New to the airstream life. I have a 27fb and while climbing onto the roof I put a soccer wide dent on the end cap. Good thing I only weight around 170lbs so the dent isn't very deep.....any suggestions on how to fix it.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb2041 View Post
Hi Jammer,

New to the airstream life. I have a 27fb and while climbing onto the roof I put a soccer wide dent on the end cap. Good thing I only weight around 170lbs so the dent isn't very deep.....any suggestions on how to fix it.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim,
I have seen some one use a suction cup to pull a soccer ball sized dent out. Body shops use them also.

Walking on the roof is fine. Look for the rivet line going up the side of the trailer and continuing half way across the top. these line are the support channels (ribs) that the skins are riveted to. It is safe to stand on these rivet lines only.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have had better than average LUCK...(still developing a skill set) pulling dents and finessing the skin. BUT, you gotta spend the bucks for the right tools. I had ZERO luck with the $5 hand pullers at the auto store. Bought one of these for the large dents like you have:

Klutch Pneumatic Dent Puller | Auto Body Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment

And one of these PROFESSIONAL kits (there is a difference) for small dents, finishing rough spots after the air puller, and even greatly improving creases.

Dent Fix DM550DX Ding Massager Glue Puller Kit w Slide Hammer

Now, if you think, that's a lot of money for a dent....don't worry. If you're like me,you'll have ample opportunity to use it over and over again.

A body dolly and body hammer comes in handy as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Danville , California
Thanks for the advise and the quick response. This forum is a great place to learn about your AS.

Thanks again,

Tim