Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

How to keep from killing self on square window corners?

So, how do you keep from killing yourself by running into those square Airstream window corners when the windows are open?

Is there a proper name for that kind of flat window?

And any tricks to keep from running into them? Some sort of decoration hanging from the corners or something?
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Hehr windows. Worst are the ones right next to the door, although the side windows are right at eye level.
Best plan is keep the windows closed and run the AC a lot.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We get the 3" diameter swim foam tubes. Cut a piece to length to fit the window. Slit it lengthways and slip it over the edge of the window. The yellow ones stand out pretty good. We also put it on the awning arms and any ropes.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On one of my first rallys some folks cut between trailers and ran right into my windows Yes, they are hard to see, and just low enough to get hit by tall people (I'm pretty safe). I made some little awnings for my windows. They just clip on with binder clips and have a little flap hanging down. Keeps the trailer cooler by shading the window openings a bit as well. They were very easy to sew up, even by an amateur like me. Nobody has run into our windows with these on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0146.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	210798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0172.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	210799  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
On one of my first rallys some folks cut between trailers and ran right into my windows Yes, they are hard to see, and just low enough to get hit by tall people (I'm pretty safe). I made some little awnings for my windows. They just clip on with binder clips and have a little flap hanging down. Keeps the trailer cooler by shading the window openings a bit as well. They were very easy to sew up, even by an amateur like me. Nobody has run into our windows with these on it!
Those look great! Are you just clipping them onto the glass? Then take them down for the road?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes, I clip them on with some little plastic binder clips, they don't grip super tight, so I'm not worried about breaking the glass, and they have held on fine. At night I just crank the windows down, and they do not latch, but they close up just fine. I take them off for travel so I can latch everything down tight. Each one has a little loop of elastic with a bra hook that wraps around the window's arm, so if it did blow off it wouldn't blow away, but they haven't blown off yet. They all roll up together and stash in one of the overheads.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile sharp corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Yes, I clip them on with some little plastic binder clips, they don't grip super tight, so I'm not worried about breaking the glass, and they have held on fine. At night I just crank the windows down, and they do not latch, but they close up just fine. I take them off for travel so I can latch everything down tight. Each one has a little loop of elastic with a bra hook that wraps around the window's arm, so if it did blow off it wouldn't blow away, but they haven't blown off yet. They all roll up together and stash in one of the overheads.
I made covers out of awning material, used heavy stretch elastic tape sewn on edges to span across windows for 62-66-67 AS that I had windows will close with on. You can get hurt very badly by sharp corners as my sisters ex ran into bath window on my 62 had to go to hospital for major repairs. The swim pool noodles work very well too as I use them for awning arms.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Stefrobrts,
How smart!
I just think it's a great idea for those who have the older types of windows and no awnings. Simply clever.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
we just tape a little bit of survey tape ribbon on them or put the ribbon on clothes pins we can clip on
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thanks so much. I never would have thought of the awning covers! That's a sewing project even I can do.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Foam noodle split down the middle and slipped over the bottom of the window. Now if I could keep from hitting the interior overhead cabinets.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote