Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fromtexas View Post
Irish Spring bars of soap in trailer when not in use. Never had mice in th AS or the Casita we had. Mice just don't like Irish Spring. Also dog flea collars put in outside compartments will deter any wasps.
Irish Spring like many bar soaps has animal fat in manufacture. We put some in a shed and they ate it.

SilverGate, a snake? She wouldn't like that.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
we use cedar chips on the floor of the feed room in the horse barn. No idea if it really works to keep the mice away or not, but that's what a lot of barn owners swear by. So in the camper, I put some cedar chips in a couple of old socks. I add a couple teaspoons of cedar oil ( buy it in a can at Home Depot ) to these every couple months. One in the storage compartment and one in the cabinet under the galley. Knock on wood, I've not yet had any mouse invasions in the trailer. And I'm not very vigilant at removing all food every time I come home.

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #23

1973 25' Tradewind
St. Albans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins View Post
I have been battling mice for years. Started when we left our A/S at friends for the summer. I've sealed everything except for the slot for the entry step. What could I do there? I've used D-con pellet bait, sticky bait trays, dryer sheets (for deterant) etc. I've gotten/killed mice; but not all of them.
I also had that same mouse problem in my 25 foot 1973 Tradewind. I had plugged every possible entrance, but still got mice. The permanent solution was to put my fold-up step in the "up" position every night. That was in the late 1970's. I've never had a single mouse since that time and I still own that same trailer. A mouse would need a door key to get in now. 😊
airstreem73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastex View Post
I use steel wool, they can go into small places that they can squeeze through and cover large places. They will not eat through it. ....
Copper wool is arguably better because it won't rust away or cause stains. It is produced primarily for application in brick facade weep holes for those of us in the south who have slab-on-grade houses. But it can also be used to plug trailer and motorhome orifices.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #25
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Hi
Had the same problem with my Sovereign. It had many holes in it when I got it, and really went to a lot of trouble patching them all. Still mice!
Turned out I saw on exiting, a hole in the fender well to the out side skin about the size of a 25c piece.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Mice can get through small holes you would never imagine...like Interblog's experience, we had mice in an office building where they got through a small chink in the mortar between the ends of two bricks about 3/8 inches by 1 inch. As time went on, they started to chew the mortar and brick to enlarge the hole
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile mice

In over 50 yrs. of AStreaming only had mice 1 time. Storedout side until 1991 never were diligent about cleaning before end of season. Heated storage since, had mice 1 time, now throw dcon bait bars in all barn stalls and all stalls in machine shed. Put small dcon wedged shape boxes w/small pellets inside door where tpaper hangs by toilet and 1 inside by entry door. No idea they were their but 2 rolls tpaper were shredded a little evidence were else where also. Mice can get into places you can not imagine. Had oats in STEEL 55 gal. drum with lid on small bung in lid missing, when lid was lifted many adults and baby mice in barrel, dropped cat in barrel had field day. [Small amount of oats in barrel.]
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
In over 50 yrs. of AStreaming only had mice 1 time. Storedout side until 1991 never were diligent about cleaning before end of season. Heated storage since, had mice 1 time, now throw dcon bait bars in all barn stalls and all stalls in machine shed. Put small dcon wedged shape boxes w/small pellets inside door where tpaper hangs by toilet and 1 inside by entry door. No idea they were their but 2 rolls tpaper were shredded a little evidence were else where also. Mice can get into places you can not imagine. Had oats in STEEL 55 gal. drum with lid on small bung in lid missing, when lid was lifted many adults and baby mice in barrel, dropped cat in barrel had field day. [Small amount of oats in barrel.]
You should have taken a video of this.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile mice

Laughing to hard to think of video, plus cat had a ball.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastex View Post
I use steel wool, they can go into small places that they can squeeze through and cover large places. They will not eat through it. My main entry place for them was the power cord, make sure you do not put steel wool next to any terminal. otherwise it works great on the rubber cord going through the frame. I have used Decon but since I put the steel wall and suspicious places none the Decon has been eaten. It's very cost-effective also inexpensive at hardware, grocery and paint stores.
PS I replaced the steel wool every couple years.
We used a product which has stainless steel wool and neither mice nor rusting has been a problem. Now, if I ever find the name of it, I'll be back
Don
donm168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #31

1972 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
northport , Michigan
We just got electricity at our camping site. Will look into the sonic repellants. A/S has and will be in cold storage for the winter. I spent a lot of time sealing everything except the slot/track for the entry step. Thanks for all the suggestions
cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Funny, same thing with a half full 50 lbs feed bag. Got the barn cat, and he did not want to into the feed bag until he saw the rat, he he jumped in head first!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Would love a link or two to sources for copper and/or stainless steel wool that folks have used. We hope to get on top of this before it becomes a problem. Thanks!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Would love a link or two to sources for copper and/or stainless steel wool that folks have used. We hope to get on top of this before it becomes a problem. Thanks!
I have used the "Stuf-fit" brand:
Amazon.com: Stuf-fit Copper Mesh For Mouse Rat Rodent Control as well as Bat Snell Control 30 Foot Roll: Patio, Lawn & Garden
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #35
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thanks! We ordered some today and will stuff it into any likely crevices to prevent entry.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I always hear about corrosion caused by different metals touching. Any issues with copper mesh inside the holes of the steel frame or aluminum bits of the belly pan?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Try fresh cab.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
spread out Bounce fabric sheets in every cabinet/cupboard. Do not use a substite, just bounce. The furry friends can not stand the smell.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I always hear about corrosion caused by different metals touching. Any issues with copper mesh inside the holes of the steel frame or aluminum bits of the belly pan?
Steel and aluminum are about the same level on the galvanic chart, and copper is somewhat more noble so copper could cause some corrosion, certainly more so than stainless steel. If you can find Bronze mesh it would be less corrosive. Steel wool obviously is not corrosive but it will deteriorate in high humidity. Using copper or bronze, I never saw anything substantial in the way of corrosion inside the hollow structural steel members of the A frame on my trailer; the copper does oxidize and that will slow down any galvanic corrosion. Best to do a regular check, and take out the mesh except when storing in winter when the mouse problem seems to occur
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
Finally found the stainless steel wool we used. Have only had it in a couple of years so can't comment on durability but I expect it to be better than ordinary steel wool.

http://www.amazon.com/Pestplug-10-St.../dp/B00H61BJU6
donm168 is offline   Reply With Quote