Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile mice

Laughing to hard to think of video, plus cat had a ball.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastex View Post
I use steel wool, they can go into small places that they can squeeze through and cover large places. They will not eat through it. My main entry place for them was the power cord, make sure you do not put steel wool next to any terminal. otherwise it works great on the rubber cord going through the frame. I have used Decon but since I put the steel wall and suspicious places none the Decon has been eaten. It's very cost-effective also inexpensive at hardware, grocery and paint stores.
PS I replaced the steel wool every couple years.
We used a product which has stainless steel wool and neither mice nor rusting has been a problem. Now, if I ever find the name of it, I'll be back
Don

Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #31

1972 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
northport , Michigan
We just got electricity at our camping site. Will look into the sonic repellants. A/S has and will be in cold storage for the winter. I spent a lot of time sealing everything except the slot/track for the entry step. Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Funny, same thing with a half full 50 lbs feed bag. Got the barn cat, and he did not want to into the feed bag until he saw the rat, he he jumped in head first!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #33
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Would love a link or two to sources for copper and/or stainless steel wool that folks have used. We hope to get on top of this before it becomes a problem. Thanks!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Would love a link or two to sources for copper and/or stainless steel wool that folks have used. We hope to get on top of this before it becomes a problem. Thanks!
I have used the "Stuf-fit" brand:
Amazon.com: Stuf-fit Copper Mesh For Mouse Rat Rodent Control as well as Bat Snell Control 30 Foot Roll: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #35
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Thanks! We ordered some today and will stuff it into any likely crevices to prevent entry.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I always hear about corrosion caused by different metals touching. Any issues with copper mesh inside the holes of the steel frame or aluminum bits of the belly pan?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Try fresh cab.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
spread out Bounce fabric sheets in every cabinet/cupboard. Do not use a substite, just bounce. The furry friends can not stand the smell.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I always hear about corrosion caused by different metals touching. Any issues with copper mesh inside the holes of the steel frame or aluminum bits of the belly pan?
Steel and aluminum are about the same level on the galvanic chart, and copper is somewhat more noble so copper could cause some corrosion, certainly more so than stainless steel. If you can find Bronze mesh it would be less corrosive. Steel wool obviously is not corrosive but it will deteriorate in high humidity. Using copper or bronze, I never saw anything substantial in the way of corrosion inside the hollow structural steel members of the A frame on my trailer; the copper does oxidize and that will slow down any galvanic corrosion. Best to do a regular check, and take out the mesh except when storing in winter when the mouse problem seems to occur
JCW
Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
Finally found the stainless steel wool we used. Have only had it in a couple of years so can't comment on durability but I expect it to be better than ordinary steel wool.

http://www.amazon.com/Pestplug-10-St.../dp/B00H61BJU6
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Churchville , Maryland
Stainless steel scouring pads, available in grocery stores, were used to plug the frame tubes near the hitch. They are too small to have only one work so multiple ones were fastened together with stainless steel safety wire.

Airstream left many gaps around where pipes pass through the floor. I don't spend any time trying to correct them, but instead put the effort into plugging entry points in the belly pan. There are many to name what I found; frame tube, umbilical cord entry into frame tube, power cord entry, and separated belly pan aluminum. Also had to plug a hole left when a tire blow out caused damage that was not adequately closed.

I have caught mice in a snap trap that was within 6 inches of a sonic repellent. My opinion is that they don't work. Moth balls keep squirrels from eating propane lines but the mice don't seem to be bothered by it. The jury is out on peppermint oil.

One entry point that I have not found a good way to seal is where the dump valve control rods enter the tank's covering. My temporary seal has to be removed to use the valve.

Mice have been eliminated from the trailer but we will be ever vigilant.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Stanardsville , Virginia
We tried fresh cab, glue traps and a sonic transmitter to no avail. Finally purchased a "Tin Cat" from Amazon and caught 5 mice the first day and has now eliminated them all totally. No matter how much caulk and steel wool mice still manage to get in.