Old 10-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins View Post
I've gotten/killed mice; but not all of them.
Unwritten rule; last one never gets caught and if she is pregnant it won't be long for the generations to fill in the empty spaces.

Take a pencil if it can be pushed into the space so can a mouse.
My biggest surprise in MH was mouse setting up housekeeping under the rear bed, found electric wires were the track they followed in.

I had one break in to the car, chewed paper thin plastic flapper door that vents the outside air into the heating system, turned out I had left two sealed energy bars in the door pocket. So when you say removed all food, it should include ALL food and edibles, including the new soy based plastic wires and flaps

Peppermint oil on cotton ball smells good and they don't seem to like it.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #16

1992 34' Excella
New Dundee , Ontario
For mice, trying using drops of peppermint (from the health store).

Old 10-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
Have you tried a cat?
Have you tried a snake?
Old 10-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Check the opening in the hollow frame members at the front of the A frame under the hitch. These members have holes through them for various wiring and mice get in by crawling up chains. Others have also suggested you check for holes in the rear bumper compartment. I've noted on other posts that mice stopped getting in when I pulled the chains up of the ground. Purchase bronze or stainless scrubbies and plug the open ends and frame holes

JCW
Old 10-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
No mice

Irish Spring bars of soap in trailer when not in use. Never had mice in th AS or the Casita we had. Mice just don't like Irish Spring. Also dog flea collars put in outside compartments will deter any wasps.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Rubber snakes will keep them away as well. I also place pieces of dog flea collars in all open places and no bugs either.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fromtexas View Post
Irish Spring bars of soap in trailer when not in use. Never had mice in th AS or the Casita we had. Mice just don't like Irish Spring. Also dog flea collars put in outside compartments will deter any wasps.
Irish Spring like many bar soaps has animal fat in manufacture. We put some in a shed and they ate it.

SilverGate, a snake? She wouldn't like that.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
we use cedar chips on the floor of the feed room in the horse barn. No idea if it really works to keep the mice away or not, but that's what a lot of barn owners swear by. So in the camper, I put some cedar chips in a couple of old socks. I add a couple teaspoons of cedar oil ( buy it in a can at Home Depot ) to these every couple months. One in the storage compartment and one in the cabinet under the galley. Knock on wood, I've not yet had any mouse invasions in the trailer. And I'm not very vigilant at removing all food every time I come home.

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #23

1973 25' Tradewind
St. Albans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins View Post
I have been battling mice for years. Started when we left our A/S at friends for the summer. I've sealed everything except for the slot for the entry step. What could I do there? I've used D-con pellet bait, sticky bait trays, dryer sheets (for deterant) etc. I've gotten/killed mice; but not all of them.
I also had that same mouse problem in my 25 foot 1973 Tradewind. I had plugged every possible entrance, but still got mice. The permanent solution was to put my fold-up step in the "up" position every night. That was in the late 1970's. I've never had a single mouse since that time and I still own that same trailer. A mouse would need a door key to get in now. 😊
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastex View Post
I use steel wool, they can go into small places that they can squeeze through and cover large places. They will not eat through it. ....
Copper wool is arguably better because it won't rust away or cause stains. It is produced primarily for application in brick facade weep holes for those of us in the south who have slab-on-grade houses. But it can also be used to plug trailer and motorhome orifices.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #25
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Hi
Had the same problem with my Sovereign. It had many holes in it when I got it, and really went to a lot of trouble patching them all. Still mice!
Turned out I saw on exiting, a hole in the fender well to the out side skin about the size of a 25c piece.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Mice can get through small holes you would never imagine...like Interblog's experience, we had mice in an office building where they got through a small chink in the mortar between the ends of two bricks about 3/8 inches by 1 inch. As time went on, they started to chew the mortar and brick to enlarge the hole
JCW
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile mice

In over 50 yrs. of AStreaming only had mice 1 time. Storedout side until 1991 never were diligent about cleaning before end of season. Heated storage since, had mice 1 time, now throw dcon bait bars in all barn stalls and all stalls in machine shed. Put small dcon wedged shape boxes w/small pellets inside door where tpaper hangs by toilet and 1 inside by entry door. No idea they were their but 2 rolls tpaper were shredded a little evidence were else where also. Mice can get into places you can not imagine. Had oats in STEEL 55 gal. drum with lid on small bung in lid missing, when lid was lifted many adults and baby mice in barrel, dropped cat in barrel had field day. [Small amount of oats in barrel.]
Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
In over 50 yrs. of AStreaming only had mice 1 time. Storedout side until 1991 never were diligent about cleaning before end of season. Heated storage since, had mice 1 time, now throw dcon bait bars in all barn stalls and all stalls in machine shed. Put small dcon wedged shape boxes w/small pellets inside door where tpaper hangs by toilet and 1 inside by entry door. No idea they were their but 2 rolls tpaper were shredded a little evidence were else where also. Mice can get into places you can not imagine. Had oats in STEEL 55 gal. drum with lid on small bung in lid missing, when lid was lifted many adults and baby mice in barrel, dropped cat in barrel had field day. [Small amount of oats in barrel.]
You should have taken a video of this.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote