Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Our 1981 Excella II has its original unit. It is noisy but still cooling OK.
Just keeping our fingers crossed.

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #30
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What if the air conditioners in Airstreams really are not that awfully loud, but the interiors of Airstreams, (new and old alike), absorb very little sound, and reflect a lot of sound?

#FoodForThought
#JustSayin...

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #31
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tex4Fun View Post
J Morgan-

What is the key/tricks to keeping your Airstream so cool?? Out 13,000 in our 25' doesn't seem to cool as much as we would like. Thank you-

Victoria

See post #18!

Much Grace,

J. Morgan

Old 07-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #32
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What if what we like most about our Airstreams make them very difficult to cool?

The conduction of the aluminum skin, trusses, and inner skin is often cited as a cooling issue, but the coveted shiny skin itself is not often cited.

The aluminum skin gets VERY hot in direct sun, and not just very hot, but very, very hot. Like to the point where a person can see a trace of steam rise from the surface when sprayed with water on a hot sunshiny day.

A person would think that a very reflective surface would reflect most of the heat away, but that aint so.

Our air conditioners would have a much easier time if our trailers were painted a lighterish color.

I have to think that our friends with Argosy trailers fare better in the summer....

Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We have a 10 year old Dometic Penguin on our trailer. When I changed out the original plastic pan to the cup drains last year the sound level in the trailer was much less obnoxious. I think the foam gaskets helped to "decouple" the AC from the trailer so less sound is transmitted to the trailer.
Dennis
Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The original Coleman died while I was having my AS serviced at JC 4 years ago. Was replaced with a Dometic.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
The Armstrong unit on my '73 is still working well but I had to fiberglass over the shroud and paint it because the sun was dissolving it. The condenser airflow exhausts straight up out of my year and that allows leaves and other debris fall into the grill, a slight design defect that was corrected a year or two later. The unit will probably run for a long time to come as I don't use it much. There is really no set lifespan for an AC unit, it sort of involves a bit of luck as far as I can tell. Just keep the airflow free, the voltage up and don't short cycle the compressor and they can last a long time.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
Our A/C unit is an Emerson, and it appears to be the original from 1988. (We have an 88 front kitchen, single door "squarestream" Argosy.) It does a fairly decent job except when the outside heat is over 100 degrees. It's not super noisy, but the thermostat has failed, so now we have to turn it on and off with the wall switch that turns the A/C off when the circuit for the Microwave is on.

We've been wondering if replacing it would be our best bet, but before we do that we hope to add one for the bedroom - there's a ceiling vent that we think we can use to install a second one.

87 Argosy 33 F since April 2010
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
What if what we like most about our Airstreams make them very difficult to cool?

The conduction of the aluminum skin, trusses, and inner skin is often cited as a cooling issue, but the coveted shiny skin itself is not often cited.

The aluminum skin gets VERY hot in direct sun, and not just very hot, but very, very hot. Like to the point where a person can see a trace of steam rise from the surface when sprayed with water on a hot sunshiny day.

A person would think that a very reflective surface would reflect most of the heat away, but that aint so.

Our air conditioners would have a much easier time if our trailers were painted a lighterish color.

I have to think that our friends with Argosy trailers fare better in the summer....

Newer A/Ss have some sort of white coating on the roof which apparently does a better job reflecting heat than the shiny aluminum. There is a thread on this Forum regarding this subject that discusses the use by some posters of white roof coatings they claim substantially reduces the heat load inside their A/Ss. One I recall was called "Buskote" if I've spelled it right. My off season project will be to try that on my '67 which still has the original operating Armstrong on the roof which needs a little help though it runs well..