Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We run Michelin Ribs on our 28ft International that come with a 6 year warranty.I recently replaced them after 50,000 miles and although they still looked new they were 7 years old.$1200 is cheap insurance.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Three blowouts with new st tires. Damage to the trailer, I did get that fixed. Scary working on side of any busy road, I would also tell you to go to harbor freight and buy a aluminum floor jack. I used a scissor jack on the side of the road and will never do that again. I upgraded to 16" bf goodrich commercial LT tires, I now have piece of mind driving.
69bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
How many rotate their tires every 10,000 miles? Curious. That is what the maintenance guide says. Good time to get tires inspected on all sides. And my pickup actually keeps a log of when I tow the Airstream, because every time I tow it I state what I’m towing. Nice little feature on modern pickups. If you have a newer pickup you should check to see if your mileage on your Airstream is recorded.

By the way I was talking to a fellow camper with a 5th wheel. He has had a number of campers and the first thing he does is change the tires to better tires. He’s had a blowout. Also he says he has chosen not to go faster than 65 because he says his tires where out faster if he is constantly driving at 70.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
You’ve gotten a lot of advice here; most of it very good. At the risk of complicating things, I’d strongly suggest you consider a tire pressure monitoring system. It’s cheap insurance that can help avoid the kind of tire failure that can cause thousands of $ of damage to your trailer.
It’s believed that many blowouts are caused by a slow leak from picking up a nail or something. As the tire loses air, it heats up from being under inflated and eventually flies apart at highway speed, causing much damage in the trailer wheel well area.
A TPMS will give you early warning in a case like this, so you can slow down, take the next exit (hopefully) and deal with the issue before it becomes a huge headache for you.

By the way, the Goodyear Endurance ST tires so far seem to have a pretty good track record.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

huntington beach , California
Life of Tires

Tires can wear out on mileage or they can deteriorate by siting in the harsh weather over time. Looking at the side walls for stress cracks as well as the wearing of threads like on your car is important. Best to take your Airstream to a tire store before long trips and have them check for proper air and wear. I like large tire companies like American Tire which also owns Discount Tires. They are convenient and have road hazard insurance on new tires. I always like to buy all new tires at the same time so I dont have to replace them at different intervals.Four to 5 years is a good timeline but nature can change that.
zkrisjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Midway , Texas
I’m sorry I need to make a correction...not grease fittings, I meant to say wheel bearings in my previous statement. Very important to repack!
Newbie 2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie 2019 View Post
I’m sorry I need to make a correction...not grease fittings, I meant to say wheel bearings in my previous statement. Very important to repack!
Hi

Depends very much on the year and model of trailer you have. Some have never lube hubs on them.

Indeed if it's been 4 years since the wheels were off, it *is* time to check the brakes.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tires can look great on the outside and still be rotten and ready to blow.Date codes on the sidewall is the key.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote