Old 10-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkalb2 View Post

Does it make sense to put a lift on it if I'm switching to 16" tires?
No need to put a lift on it for those tires, many on this forum have done it w/o a lift.

bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to all this and wanted to make sure I was understanding what the mechanic told me correctly. Especially if we are going to be calling the AS home for the next few years.

The tires do have some wear and some sidewall marking which leads me to believe now might be a good time to swap them out.

Does it make sense to put a lift on it if I'm switching to 16" tires?
Hi

The bigger tires raise the trailer a bit. The lift kit raises it more. Indeed you will have more "room" in the wheel well if you go with the lift kit. Road debris has a little more room to get past the tire in that case. How often does debris wrap around your tires? .... probably not very often.

Doing either one will involve a bit of a tweak to your hitch. If the trailer goes up, the ball on the back of your TV also needs to go up. If you do both the wheels and lift at the same time, you only adjust the hitch once.In some cases the adjustment involves a new shank and that can be (but isn't always) an expensive item.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
North Smithfield , Rhode Island
Thanks I totally didnít think about the hitch part of it. That will most likely cost me more $$$
Tkalb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:04 AM   #24
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Picture of tires we removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
we just replaced the original tires on our 2015, the mfg dates were 2014, so they had reached the 5 year point. We had over 72,000 miles on the tires and they looked great, but 99% of the trailers we see stopped on the side of the road are the result of tire blowouts. Our desire is to not be stopped on the side of the road, so new tires. We replaced the original Michelins with Michelin XPS rib tires, we like Michelins.
it wasn't because they looked like they needed replaced, just using the experience and wisdom of others to make the decision
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	353562  
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Everton , Arkansas
I replace them at the 5-7 year period. The first ones I replaced were about 10 years old and had great tread but when we removed the tires the back side of the tires were all weather checked badly while the front side showed little checking. The tire shop said that was the norm on RV tires.
DEDUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Goodyear Endurance now or upgrade to 16" Michelin LT's which I did and love them. I did not have to put a lift kit on my 25 but new Sendur wheels are not inexpensive.
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Tires

Quote:
My wife and I recently purchased a lightly used 2015 flying cloud FB from a local private sale. We are the third owner of this trailer and I was told it had maybe 10,000 miles on it. It currently still has it's original tires and I was told from a mechanic that the tires need to be replaced after 5 years regardless of the mileage. Anyone else have experience with this or any suggestions?

We plan to go fulltime in the spring and want to make sure we are starting off on the right foot for our new trip.
Manufacturers state 3 years for trailer tires, and 5 for vehicles. This is Obviously overkill, but definitely something to factor in. Also keeping max pressure is important. Under inflated tires are 1 of the leading causes of tire failure.
1963tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Brian, what sort of mileage log do you use? I think it's a good idea. Thanks.
lakemaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
Reason for changing 5-7 years is the possibility of dry rot from too much sun shining on it, or from the heat (high temperature on road or even parking for a period of time). Never cover the tires with tarp or tire covers-the cover will increase temperature which would speed up the dry rotting. You can put plywood board on tire to prevent sun damages.

The new Goodyear Endurance tires are MUCH better than the Marathons. If you have Marathons, it may be a good time to change to Endurance. Up to you.
oh ... never heard that before, I keep my tires covered by a white cover purpose-made for trailer tires. Seeems like this would protect and deflect the direct sunlight. My tires have been great, they are about 6yrs now, so will change before my next outing.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
About every 5 years is a good rule of thumb unless you are the world traveler and wear them to the wear indicators sooner. I've only used ST tires.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Everyone here is discussing when to pull the tires out your rig, but checking the date code when purchasing is just as important. I had a blow out on a trip once and decided to replace all 4 tires at that point. When I checked the date code on the tires I just purchased, even though they were new , weíre older than the tires I just took off. The tire center and Iím not going to name names, assured me they were perfectly good tires even though they were 14 years old. By the time I got out of there, there wasnít any more customers in the show room and they put the tires on to my satisfaction.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
Because you dont know the history of the tires, I would replace them.
But when you did that , let me calculate for you a highest pressure with no bumping.
Then livetime will be from 6 to 10 years.
Protect them from UV-light( and Ozon)

I have described that in many topics, so wont repeat it here. So will spare you the long story.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If it's a stock 2015, it came with Good Year Marathons. (Made in China)
I'd change them to GY Endurance (made in US) in the same size.
I just returned from 4500 miles and the Endurance never lost air or complained.
I HAVE 16 inch Michelins and they are excellent tires, however there is a school of thought that says "It is a flippin' Trailer... not an art exhibit! Go out on the road and enjoy it, don't obsess about keeping it perfect!"

The 15 inch GY Endurance tires are fine and you won't need $1000 for new rims. Spend your discretionary money on your family; spend what you must to keep the trailer safe and roadworthy.

If you Must obsess on the trailer, wax it... if that isn't enough, please come wax mine

Do you hear Willie Nelson softly singing, "On the Road Again"? Seize the Day!

Paula
Old 10-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
My wife and I recently purchased a lightly used 2015 flying cloud FB from a local private sale. We are the third owner of this trailer and I was told it had maybe 10,000 miles on it. It currently still has it's original tires and I was told from a mechanic that the tires need to be replaced after 5 years regardless of the mileage. Anyone else have experience with this or any suggestions?

We plan to go fulltime in the spring and want to make sure we are starting off on the right foot for our new trip.
....5-6 years..new Goodyear endurance tires..wallmart has a very good price...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Goodyear Marathon's are "D" rated tires and inexpensive and poorer quality compared to Michelin Defender which are "E" rated tires. The "E" rated Michelin are not that much more and well worth every dollar you pay! The bottom line is never purchase a "D" rated tire for your trailer.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
Nothing wrong with D-load for most AS , that are tandem-axle, so have comfortable reserve.
For single-axle trailers though, an upgrade is advisable, because mostly yust enaugh maxload for the GAWR , and then for only 65mph.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
Goodyear Marathon's are "D" rated tires and inexpensive and poorer quality compared to Michelin Defender which are "E" rated tires. The "E" rated Michelin are not that much more and well worth every dollar you pay! The bottom line is never purchase a "D" rated tire for your trailer.

Airstream does not use Goodyear Marathons but uses Goodyear Endurance which is much better than the Marathons. I had a popup that had Marathons which I never had any issues with. My current AS has Endurance.

See how the Michelin Defenders compare to Endurance?

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
If you Must obsess on the trailer, wax it... if that isn't enough, please come wax mine

Paula
Shoot I just waxed mine 2 weekends ago. I'll wait a couple months and let you wax mine.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Maxxis UE-168 Bravo

I bought my trailer 13 years ago (Avion 34X) and the Michelins on it had great tread, but the sidewalls were cracked to pieces. Since I lived about nine hours away, I wanted new tires.

By complete chance, I stumbled upon the Maxxis UE-168. This is a commercial truck tire but it's also ST rated. So it's got the LT+ strength and speed rating of a truck tire, but it's got the UV inhibitor stuff of an ST tire (about the only good thing about an ST tire) as well. It says LT and ST on it. At any rate, I've pulled about 25,000 miles and 13 years with them. I've gone 85 mph with them (they're rated for like 110 mph) and never had a problem of any kind. They've been great.

I just today took the wheels to the tireshop along with a new set (although three of them are one year old and three are two years old) to have them replaced with six more of the same. I talked to a local tire shop that has no skin in the game. They said not to worry about a two year old date code. It's UV that hurts them. Sitting in a warehouse doesn't.

My 13 year old tires (may be 15 years old....I don't know the date codes) looked perfect. No cracks on either side, no checks, nothing. But I figured I've gotten nearly 3 times what they recommmend on here so better safe than sorry.

The Maxxis UE-168 Bravo comes in a 225/70-15 E-rated, as well as a 235/75 D-rated. I have the 235's as the 225's looked too small in my wheel wells. The 235's are good for 2337 lbs each. My trailer grosses at 9600 lbs. I have six of them. So I'm good for over 14,000 lbs and have a margin of safety of about 1.5....half again what I need. In other words, four tires would carry the load properly but I've got six. I'd have even more with the E-rated tires. This is a good tire, I recommend it highly based on 13 years of experience, and you can still use your 15" rims.

Otherwise, I'd get the 16" Sendel's and Michilins. Actually, the Avion has a larger wheel well opening than Airstream so I'd probably look at 17" wheels.

See ya on the road,
Jim
Old 10-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #40

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Midway , Texas
You may also want to think about repacking the grease fittings. We bought a used 2016 FB23 Cloud and they had never done it. When it was checked they had about a tablespoon of grease in each one. Could have caused a real problem down the road!

Newbie 2019 is offline   Reply With Quote