Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

1987 32' Excella
Ford City , Pennsylvania
How do you take care of it?

I am new to the AS life. Just bought an 87 Excella 32 ft. Really nice shape for 23 yrs. How do you take care of it? What is the best thing out there to wash it with? I have Air shocks on the trailer. What should I put in it for air? I have 40 lbs in it now. gvw of 8,000 lbs. So I took a chance. And what do you recomend to wax it with? I have some peeling on the top but for the most part it's in good shape and I would like to keep it that way. Last time out I had water on the floor around the hot water tank but after reading some posts it may have been my fault for having too much water in it and no room for expansion. Thanks
Supershopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Go back and check that water problem. If the tank were to over heat it would re leave itself through the safety valve which is outside and that water should not be able to get back inside to the floor.

Some unit had a winterizing bypass valve on the side of the heater. That valve has been known to loosen it's flare fitting and leak.

If you do not have that valve take a good look around the other fittings on the heater. Poke the floor around the heater with an ice pick. If it is soft the leak has been there for some time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I agree with HowieE!. If you got water you got a leak. Don't know how you can overfill the water heater.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Dont know why you have air shocks BUT THEY SHOULDN'T BE THERE. PO was probably tryin to hide the fact it needs axles MAYBE. IF it set without being moved the they are probably shot. As far as washing,any good car wash soap will do. DO NOT USE Dishwashing Liquid. AND ya don't need to cover it with a tarp this winter,Unless you find a leak you cannot stop. If you find shell leaks or leaks around vents get the seams filled now while its warm. Thats not wax peeling its CLEAR COAT. But go ahead and wax it anyway. Someone here will be glad to tell ya which product is the best.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For waxing we use Griot's Paint Sealant. It lasts a year or more and you can wash it during that period and use their Spray on Wax. There are other manufacturers who make a paint sealant, but we started with Griot's and no need to change.

I can't imagine how to overfill the water heater. It can withstand much higher pressures when the water is heated than most any campground can supply through the city water inlet. You should not have water on the floor around it unless there is a leak somewhere. The best thing would be a loose connection on a water line.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote