Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Harrison Hot Springs , British Columbia
Had the same problems, mice and last week a pack rat while on a hunting trip.

Well, it took me about two days of getting things together and then fixing all the smallest of holes. I attached additional flashing to cover larger gaps and holes, front hitch, back bumper, and under belly. My 1970 AS has some oxidized bottom holes so extra flashing was necessary to cover the larger holes. I also plugged smaller holes with stainless steel wool and even glued them in place with construction adhesive.

You really got to start by lifting your trailer as high as possible, so that working underneath is more comfortable, and then start at one end and work your way to every part of your underbody and some.

Mice are good jumpers and climbers too, so don't over look higher holes and any holes larger that a nickel.

After all was said and done, you wouldn't know that I did anything at all, everything is hidden, BUT now all my traps are empty. So far so good!!!

If you like, I can post some repair pics for you!

Good luck!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
hou 2 ketch myse

2 fined:
  • a buckit
  • a kote hangr
  • beer can (empty it furst, yum!)
  • sum p-nit budder
  • stick fur mous to clime up
Lookit the foto, hook up the can, wire it on2 buckit, lean flat stick on outside of buckit so's mous kin get at can

oh ya, p-nit budder: wype it oll ovr can

U kin put aunty-freez in buckit so's it don't smel to bad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mice-homemade-cures-3614.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	169851  

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Yes this trap works great, but the mice and rats are still making a mess in your camper!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Only if they have no sense of smell. We did this for my sister-in-law last winter.

Results: 6 dead mice, no evidence of mouse dirt or chewed things...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbler

If you like, I can post some repair pics for you!

Good luck!!!

Pics would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
A couple of posters have commented about the front of the A frame. I note that at the point of the "A", the two structural components are essentially open tubes. If a rat jumps into and crawls down that tube, will he be able to enter into the trailer, or would that entire length of that "A", from the top to the bottom, so to speak, be enclosed, with no openings along the way for a rat or mouse to go through.

I could try to stick some steel wool in the huge gap, but it looks like it would take a massive amount of steel wool on my particular trailer. Any comments?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
One option is three or five stainless steel kitchen scouring pads - the knit ones that have the volume of a teacup - imbued and embedded in spray foam to glue & weatherproof them in place, while keeping them near the opening so they can be inspected. Another option is roof/gutter flashing tin-smithed to friction bind in the opening and then reinserted with the extreme weather-stripping adhesive used for window gaskets.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Dido, plug the holes with stainless pads, and use aluminum flashing for big holes and/or gap. Glue, rivet, or foam, but "Just Do It" and you'll be a"Happy Camper".
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
On our Bambi we've had two places that have been proven entry points - one is where the sewage drains come out of the trailer through the skin (caulked around the drain - no problems since) - second is where the drain from the refrigerator compartment exits into the wheel well (this was self-inflicted - I had replaced the steel mesh screen with some fibreglass screen - not smart) - simply replaced the screen with the original type (took forever to find) and no problems since.

Two things since our rodent "events" - we now always have two traps on board "just in case" - and a regular maintenance task is to do an underbelly inspection every spring and fall to check caulking, gaps etc.

Good Luck,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
A cat. Or a dog who is a good ratter. Some are. Our little dog is quicker to detect a mouse and quicker to kill it than the cats we've had in the past were.

Airstream never cut a hole for a pipe that wasn't two sizes too big. I filled them with foam insulation, stopped up the ant, mouse, spider hallway from the tongue with steel wool (yes, it rusts, but I keep forgetting to replace it with copper scrubbies), put a couple of packages of Downey Sheets everywhere, bang around in all the cabinets and cubby holes frequently, and keep poison in convenient places for them. We don't leave the steps down when we aren't living in it because it's almost impossible to stop up those holes. There are routes into the belly pan (and then the house!) from the hook ups, sometimes by the spare tire, etc.

So far, so good. But it's fall. When we bought the trailer it had lots of evidence of mouse inhabitation in floor cabinets, behind the couch, etc., but the most amazing nests were in the belly pan when we patched the floor.

The trouble with having mice is that they cause YOU KNOW WHATS to come in after them! And I cannot have YOU KNOW WHATS in my trailer. (Don't ya'll start on me!)

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I too have had mice problems in each of the two AS we have owned. I tried one of those ultrasonic repellents. I went in the trailer one day and found a mouse sitting on the floor eating something right in front of the sonic repellent. Needless to say, I unplugged it and threw it away. Then I went on a hole search and started plugging them up. I found about 6 places where I was sure they could get in. I still got one every once in a while, but not as many as before.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thinking about the tongue/A frame holes.............couldn't a welder cut a piece of steel and weld it in place to fill in those holes? Would this do anything bad concerning the strength of the tongue for towing?

Deb
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
The trouble with having mice is that they cause YOU KNOW WHATS to come in after them! And I cannot have YOU KNOW WHATS in my trailer. (Don't ya'll start on me!)
I was thinking of that as soon as I saw your post.

When I lived in Texas, I turned a 5'11" YOU KNOW WHAT loose in the mobile home I rented. I never saw another mouse. Of course I don't expect you to be happy with this technique.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So what you are saying is get rid of the cats and yap yap dogs and get you a big python? The python will take care of the dogs and cats for you as well but I am sure they are not as cuddly.

Perry