Old 04-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I kind of like the idea that I'd be warned if the trailer was filling up with propane while in storage.
How would you be warned? I do have a NEST camera with phone alerts for noise and motion, but I'm probably the exception. My solar handles the alarm anyway now.

If you store at home, I suppose you might catch it while working in the yard. But aren't you closing the propane bottles while in storage anyway? Soooooo.....

Everyone does it differently, I suppose.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
In today's litigious climate give some thought to adding anything to the propane circuit. Bad scenario would be you sell the trailer with your modification, the buyer isn't told or forgets the change that you made, propane leak, explosion, death. You get the drift.

Might be better to get a battery cutoff switch if you can't get to the batteries to disconnect the negative.

On my Classic there is an inline fuse for the propane detector located as previously mentioned at the bus bar.

ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
In today's litigious climate give some thought to adding anything to the propane circuit. Bad scenario would be you sell the trailer with your modification, the buyer isn't told or forgets the change that you made, propane leak, explosion, death. You get the drift.

Might be better to get a battery cutoff switch if you can't get to the batteries to disconnect the negative.

On my Classic there is an inline fuse for the propane detector located as previously mentioned at the bus bar.
It only takes 5 minutes to switch it back to the other side of the store switch when sold. And I doubt anyone is going to forget in my modification scenario...as there would be no lighting, furnace. fridge.....etc. until the store switch is turned on.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
If propane is turned off at the tanks there is no source for propane to get into the trailer except what is already in the lines. I assume those can be purged easily.

I installed a battery disconnect switch (about $5.00 at a NAPA store, but available at other auto stores). It took 10 minutes to install. Battery cover closes fine on my 2015 23 FB. Now I easily disconnect from all parasitic loads AND the jack (added security) when in storage. Takes 30 sec to reconnect the battery. This was very helpful to disconnect power when I recently installed an upgrade to the Parallax converter with a Progressive Dynamics multistage converter/charger (PD4655).
Old 04-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
I cut the hot wire going to the back of the detector and put a switch in that can be reached by opening the lower drawer under our sink. If you shut off your propane at the tanks you should not have any leaks inside the trailer when your in storage. If your a senior citizen like me, and need a reminder to turn on the detector when your camping, you can put a red ribbon in the drawer and flip it out side the drawer whenever the detector switch is in the off position. You'll find your batteries will hold a charge for a very long time with the detector off.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It would seem that a more effective device would close the open propane valve if a leak were detected. The noise does nothing if no one is there to hear it.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
My solution was to cut the wires to the propane alarm so I could remove it and put it in the trash. They drain the battery and are prone to false alarms. A real nuisance.

I don't believe they provide a safety benefit in RVs. They are a technology brought over from the marine world, where propane poses a much more serious risk, for reasons I've written about before but won't go into here.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is one way... But I don't recommend... Just first thought I had...
http://youtu.be/4u0dDji13w8
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #23
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Queensbury , New York
where is the bus bar and one amp inline fuse located ?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #24
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS View Post
where is the bus bar and one amp inline fuse located ?
Guess this depends on the model. In the 25FB, it is accessible by removing a rectangular piece of plywood under the mattress. There is a cable with a red in line fuse plastic piece with a sticker saying "1A in line fuse". Pretty obvious. Unless you want to add something to the circuit though, removing the bottom drawer and simply putting in a switch there is probably easier.

I agree with the notion that these alarms make no real sense. I cannot fathom that there could be any kind of legal situation that prevails over common sense - yeah right (dramin' here), but still this is about our own common sense and how we deal with our own situations...
Old 04-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
How would you be warned?
It would beep. It is stored in my barn where I go every day and I would hear it. Yes, it can't leak if the tanks are shut off. And that's fine because no one has ever made a mistake.