Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
One state with a parking brake requirement for trailers is Nevada. Here is the relevant statute, 484d.
. . .
I think you will find, in the definitions or introductions to various code sections, that the parking brake requirement applies only to commercial vehicles, and not to RV [non-motorized] trailers, which are usually defined clearly in all legislation. I don't have the time or interest to cite specific language on this.

"Cherry picking" language from laws, without a thorough review of all related sections [like the definitions] can often result in a wild goose chase IMO.

It is highly likely that your province is consistent with the rest of North America IMO:
Quote:
. . .
In my province, parking brakes are required on commercial trailers, not RVs.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #62
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I think you will find, in the definitions or introductions to various code sections, that the parking brake requirement applies only to commercial vehicles, and not to RV [non-motorized] trailers, which are usually defined clearly in all legislation. I don't have the time or interest to cite specific language on this.

"Cherry picking" language from laws, without a thorough review of all related sections [like the definitions] can often result in a wild goose chase IMO.
So if you think those sections are only about commercial vehicles, then the reference to mopeds must be just about commercial mopeds. Never seen one of those.

The trailer parking brake regulations are flagged in multiple towing guides to state laws (AAA, various RV trailer equipment sites, etc) and provide a useful pointer to go read specific state laws. But only for those who have the interest to read them
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the reply. I would be happy to be mistaken. If you could provide citations for your references that would be appreciated.

Have you ever heard of an RV trailer owner being cited for not having parking brakes on the trailer? A law on the books, which is not enforced, is there in principal only. RV trailer manufacturers would be "all over" such a law IMO, if it were actively enforced. There could also be possible federal pre-emption issues IMO.

Anyway, if you can provide some documentation from your "multiple towing guides" that would be helpful. In the meantime, my lack of interest is due mainly to the low probability of finding productive citations, when you can apparently do so with ease.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Based on a quick review of towing guides online, yes there is some language about Nevada requiring an RV trailer >3000 lbs. to have a parking brake system. In my personal opinion, this apparent requirement has been applied rarely, if at all, or has been qualified/modified in some other fashion, perhaps by some Nevada case law in the courts.

If you have any more detailed information, including convictions for having an RV travel trailer without a parking brake, that would be very interesting to know. Absent such further authority, I will bow out here.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #65
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I would be happy to be mistaken. If you could provide citations for your references that would be appreciated.

Have you ever heard of an RV trailer owner being cited for not having parking brakes on the trailer? A law on the books, which is not enforced, is there in principal only. RV trailer manufacturers would be "all over" such a law IMO, if it were actively enforced. There could also be possible federal pre-emption issues IMO.

Anyway, if you can provide some documentation from your "multiple towing guides" that would be helpful. In the meantime, my lack of interest is due mainly to the low probability of finding productive citations, when you can apparently do so with ease.

Thanks,

Peter
Nevada laws are here:

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-...#NRS484DSec035 Others are available on google. I would go to the sources, ie state government sites, instead of relying on the guide sites like AAA.

The law seems clear. I have no information on whether or how it is enforced. That was why I asked for any posters with info on why it doesn't apply to travel trailers to respond. I found out about it from the trailer law guide sites, but didn't trust those, so read the actual state laws.

I have used mechanical parking brakes on small commercial trailers (including most recently, a 41 foot hydraulic boom man lift rented for home repairs, and towed home with my BMW to the surprise of the rental yard). I know that some travel trailers have them, but not many. I saw them in Europe. I was surprised that posters thought it wasn't a straightforward and simple item to include, and when some posted that they didn't need more laws, it was interesting to find that some states have laws. Who knew.

It would be interesting if anyone has info on why these laws don't apply if they are apparently on the books, or why they aren't enforced. Especially considering that some have posted that their trailers rolled away from them.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
The first thing I do when getting ready to unhitch is lock both sets of wheels with the wheel locks between the wheels. Last thing I do when leaving is to walk around to make sure antennas, vents, etc are in place and all lights are working. Sometimes more than once. Should be your check list.
Excellent practice. After some close calls, I do the same, each and every time.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:46 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
The law seems clear. I have no information on whether or how it is enforced.
. . .
At the top of p. 2 here:

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/equipreqtr.pdf

. . . the Nevada DMV says only:

"Trailers manufactured after July 1, 1975 with a gross weight of 1500 pounds or more must be equipped with service brakes acting on all wheels with the ability to remain applied for at least 15 minutes, upon breakaway from the towing vehicle."

This document appears to be the official word on the subject matter for Nevada, and there is nothing about parking brakes for trailers. The date of publication is August 2009. I will take this as the final word from Nevada for now.

Peter

Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think the brake issue on a state by state basis gets preempted by federal requirements. Otherwise, some states say a trailer can be only 8' 0" wide yet we have every Airstream model 25' or longer at 8' 5.5" wide and don't measure the door handles

Some times I think these state nuisance laws are there to add to bunch of citations when the LEO wants to be a pain in the back side.

All the towed Airstreams coming from the factory get to cross the scales at every state line and could be inspected for width and yet they go through the states that limit trailers to 8' 0" without an issue.

The parking brake issue would be the same. Perhaps these state laws only apply to the local manufactures trailers in that state.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #69
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
At the top of p. 2 here:

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/equipreqtr.pdf

. . . the Nevada DMV says only:

"Trailers manufactured after July 1, 1975 with a gross weight of 1500 pounds or more must be equipped with service brakes acting on all wheels with the ability to remain applied for at least 15 minutes, upon breakaway from the towing vehicle."

This document appears to be the official word on the subject matter for Nevada, and there is nothing about parking brakes for trailers. The date of publication is August 2009. I will take this as the final word from Nevada for now.

Peter
Thanks, I saw that too. It came up when I searched. However, it is a partial extract of the actual laws on the books at the time. The regulation it references is NRS 484.593. If you look up the that specific regulation, you will find it was replaced in 2010 by the regulation that I provided the reference to, 484D.250. That later regulation is also referenced in the 2017 edition of the state laws, on the state website (link previously provided).

There were other changes apart from this point. The minimum trailer weight for requiring brakes was also changed, for example. Don't trust the 2009 DMV handout, in other words, that would be cherry picking.

It appears that the DMV handout was never updated.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #70
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I think the brake issue on a state by state basis gets preempted by federal requirements. Otherwise, some states say a trailer can be only 8' 0" wide yet we have every Airstream model 25' or longer at 8' 5.5" wide and don't measure the door handles

Some times I think these state nuisance laws are there to add to bunch of citations when the LEO wants to be a pain in the back side.

All the towed Airstreams coming from the factory get to cross the scales at every state line and could be inspected for width and yet they go through the states that limit trailers to 8' 0" without an issue.

The parking brake issue would be the same. Perhaps these state laws only apply to the local manufactures trailers in that state.

I agree that there is a hierarchy of federal and state regulations.

A review of the FMVSS for braking (105, Brake systems; 121, Air Brakes; 135, Light Vehicle Braking Systems) provides a specific exclusion for trailers in 105 and 135, and specifically includes trailers in 121, but is limited to air brakes.

Part of the regulations refers to carrying chocks for specific classes of trailers (not travel trailers).

The Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) have a portion at the beginning of the Motor Vehicle section that states the purpose of the following regulations. They state (and I am paraphrasing) that the statutes are there to provide harmonization across state laws. Hmmm. They seem to apply most to trailers registered in that state. Under non-resident offences, it states that the LOE may charge a non-resident for violation of the section I referenced above (and other sections) in the event of an accident.

I am not too worried about not complying with the Nevada statute re trailer parking brakes, but it is interesting to see that trailer parking brakes are a subject for some regulators.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Walnut Creek , California
Thumbs up Parking brakes for trailers required elsewhere & USA parts available

A few times I've heard parking brakes are required on European trailers.

Almost all of our pop-up trailers had after-market cable actuated parking brakes that were very handy.

There is one manufacturer in the USA that makes these controls. I'll try to locate data within my CPU the name. Time out to search. Orschein Products are in Missouri.

Also from my conversation & letter to Dexter Axle: "Please share this with your engineering & design department:

Duane Belisle from Dexter, in Indiana, ETZ we spoke 14-Sep-12 Parking brakes on trailers are not required as per USA law & regulations. Consequentially USA manufactures seem to not be offering upgraded premium units with the parking brake option for disc brake equipped trailers.

The parking brake cables and manual apply handles can be bought from: ORSCHELN Company, Moberly, MO. (660) 269-3971.

They are familiar with the DEXTER AXLE brakes and can recommend the appropriate handles.

Dexter Axle Product Engineer
574-296-7334 
574-296-7320 Fax

My 6L diesel extracted my steel mechanical expansion chocks from between our 2x2 tires and I barely felt or noticed the event. Why must I carry that weight & exert myself inserting & removing?

I'd like to see these commonly available and in use. Why carry the bulk and often dirt of chocks.
RockSolid66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #72
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Titan also make a handle and cable kit that matches up to the Dexter parking brakes, for mounting near the coupler. It is listed by eTrailer on their web site.

Discs would be an additional level of complexity. Automotive calipers are available with a rotating piston for cable actuation for parking, but I haven’t seen a trailer brake version. Maybe a second manual caliper. Looks like a product development opportunity.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Otra15: "Trailers manufactured after July 1, 1975 with a gross weight of 1500 pounds or more must be equipped with service brakes acting on all wheels with the ability to remain applied for at least 15 minutes, upon breakaway from the towing vehicle."

I read this as any kind of trailer, cargo or travel, weighing over 1500 should have a brake system. Hydraulic or Electric.

This would be provided by the Tow Vehicle while trailer is in tow and connected to the trailer with electric brakes on each axle.

The second part is covered by the proper application of the Break Away cable and switch that would engage the electric brakes operating off of the trailer's batteries.

When licensing our vehicles and trailer in Nevada, the only question that came up was "What kind of license plates are you wanting?" The current electric brakes on our trailer and the break away cable activating the brakes would meet the requirement.

If I am pulled over some day in Nevada... that is my story, and I am sticking to it.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2017 Aluma utility trailer has a 3,500 pound rated axle but is limited to a 2,990 pound GVW to avoid installing ANY brakes on the trailer. At 3,000 pounds or heavier, brakes are required.

I use the trailer to carry our Polaris Ranger UTV that weighs about 1,000 pounds and the aluminum trailer weighs about 500 pounds. So the tow vehicle has another 1,500 pounds to stop in addition to it's own mass.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #75
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSolid66 View Post
A few times I've heard parking brakes are required on European trailers.

Almost all of our pop-up trailers had after-market cable actuated parking brakes that were very handy.

There is one manufacturer in the USA that makes these controls. I'll try to locate data within my CPU the name. Time out to search. Orschein Products are in Missouri.

Also from my conversation & letter to Dexter Axle: "Please share this with your engineering & design department:

Duane Belisle from Dexter, in Indiana, ETZ we spoke 14-Sep-12 Parking brakes on trailers are not required as per USA law & regulations. Consequentially USA manufactures seem to not be offering upgraded premium units with the parking brake option for disc brake equipped trailers.

The parking brake cables and manual apply handles can be bought from: ORSCHELN Company, Moberly, MO. (660) 269-3971.

They are familiar with the DEXTER AXLE brakes and can recommend the appropriate handles.

Dexter Axle Product Engineer
574-296-7334 
574-296-7320 Fax

My 6L diesel extracted my steel mechanical expansion chocks from between our 2x2 tires and I barely felt or noticed the event. Why must I carry that weight & exert myself inserting & removing?

I'd like to see these commonly available and in use. Why carry the bulk and often dirt of chocks.
Great post.

I’d imagine few around here use the TV parking brake at every instance of parking. Yet it’s “mandatory” to avoid not simply liability, but to protect the drivetrain components.

A system for a TT would be great. In addition to tall (heavy) big truck wheel chocks made from laminated rubber (the only design/material that will grip; U-Line H-1591 as reference).

As above, it isn’t at all hard to break the lightweight between-wheel chocks. They’re mainly for trailer stabilization, anyway.

Being able to pull a lever at the coupler appeals to me. It isn’t the final solution, but it beats getting out chocks every time I park for short periods.

And I wouldn’t assume that the TV parking brake will hold the combination. Test it. Doesn’t take that much to overpower it.

For that reason I’d chock the TV if the idea of using safety chains as “insurance” appeals. (Wrong order of precedence).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #76
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Have you tested the failure point for the between wheel chock pictured...I have on dry pavement. All four wheels locked as I tried to leave. 🙄

umm....interesting.
Our dual axle boat trailer has surge disc brakes on the trailing axle only. Registered weight 2500lb unloaded, no break away or 'parking' provision.

...if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is. 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #77
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I do use the X type of wheel locks but they require a little time and energy to place every single time I need to stop for some reason. If a parking brake were available it would make stopping for gas or a quick bite much easier I think. I don’t trust those little yellow plastic chocks much since I have run right over one with very little effort and only a slight bump to let me know that I had run over it. I wouldn’t use the parking brake as the main way to keep the wheels from moving but would use it in conjunction with the TV parking brake when hooked up for towing.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #78
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Do you unhitch every time you stop?
TV parking brake and transmission in 'park' not enough?

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #79
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
Have you tested the failure point for the between wheel chock pictured...I have on dry pavement. All four wheels locked as I tried to leave. 🙄

umm....interesting.
Our dual axle boat trailer has surge disc brakes on the trailing axle only. Registered weight 2500lb unloaded, no break away or 'parking' provision.

...if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is. 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
I ain’t using a wheezy, asthmatic Chevy motor. (Ha!)

And I’ve broken three of that type. (Too much offline TQ). If they work for you (and I like them), great
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #80
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Do you unhitch every time you stop?
TV parking brake and transmission in 'park' not enough?

Bob
🇱🇷
As a question of, “what’s best practice?”, then, no.

A walk around both after parking and again before departing is BP. Wheel chocks not such a burden then.

We want nothing to happen to our TT. Thus planned stops (which includes where to park to facilitate egress) limit exposure and maximize space.