Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
How can I send my AS back to the factory?

We custom ordered our 31' last March and recieved it in May, 3 days before a six week trip. We found the usual bugs and got those repaired when we got back. We're having major issues with the tv/cable wiring being wrong and not being able to get it fixed. Fridge won't stay lit if we're moving, and some of the woodwork is just plain wrong. Some of the repairs look like I might have done them! LOL

We're to the point we're writing to Airstream to ask them to fix this stuff. Our unit actually left the factory with NO LP DETECTOR! Anyone have a suggestion on who/where to write? The dealer's done as much as they can and it's time to step it up. Funny thing is....David works in quality control for a big company so this one really gets him....that and what we paid for a custom order! LOL

Any help appreciated!

Jenny
car2nqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Seems to me that the dealer should have all the information you need to contact the factory. They should also be able to fix the problems if they're a real dealer. None of the problems you mentioned seem to be all that complicated. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2nqueen
We're having major issues with the tv/cable wiring being wrong
Why can't the dealer fix this?

Quote:
Fridge won't stay lit if we're moving
The fridge is not suppose to be "lit" when moving.

Quote:
Some of the repairs look like I might have done them...The dealer's done as much as they can
Are you saying the dealer is not up to the task of making the correct repairs?

The factory is about a days drive from you and AFAIK you are free to make an appointment for warranty repairs at the factory. I've read that they will even work on your trailer during the day and have it back in the camping area by 3pm or so for you to spend the night... if the repairs require more than one day.

Good Luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi jenny and welcome to the loose screws club!

the list of issues you've mentioned doesn't appear too challenging, are there MORE THINGS?

still it can be frustrating for new buyers or new rv'ers...

there many threads here on service or warranty issues...

and almost as many on taking the unit to j/c for work.

look over your owner packet carefully, the manual and warranty make clear...

what commitment and responsibility (or lack of) the factory offers to owners.

rarely (2 times) am i aware of a dealer OR the factory covering the costs of getting the unit to j/c.

if YOU take it to j/c they can and usually will do ALL of the needed repair work...

they usually do a great job, but not always.

and i've actually had things broken AT THE FACTORY...

that required a return trip, AT MY EXPENSE , for 2nd and 3rd visits.

i've also had tools left ON THE ROOF, by factory personal, that endangered the lives of other motorists...

in fact tools were left top side even after i notified the service department they were up there!

hey no one is perfect but imo factory service has declined over the last 3 years.

as for who to contact...

you can call the NON TOLL FREE number, or email the warranty department.

i've found chris birch? to be very good at working directly with customers on issues...

it may be best to have your selling dealer make the warranty/service contact for ya, if they aren't capable of making the repairs...

although even that isn't fool proof.

i had repairs 'approved' by the factory and scheduled a trip there...

only to have them renege on the warranty coverage, while i was en route for the work...

(does this read bitter at all? )

while MOST of the folks working there are honesty and caring and professional.

anyway good luck getting them to cover transport, it very rarely happens.

and please keep us updated on your process and outcome...

cheers
2air'

IF you are really steamed, write to dicky riegel(past pres), bob wheeler (current pres), or some other corporate officer.

also post your issues in one of the fit/finish threads on these things...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-21553.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
...The fridge is not suppose to be "lit" when moving....
u may not approve of travel with the fridge running on lp gas...

but it IS supposed to function while in route and many of us have/do leave these modern units on while traveling...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi jenny and welcome to the loose screws club!
Thanks! I appreciate all the comments! The more the merrier!

We did get the dealer to fix the antenna wiring situation. First it was just wrong in the bedroom and not the kitchen. They "fixed" the wiring and now it's just the opposite. Works (sort of) in the kitchen and not the bedroom.

David works part time and can take the unit back. Our closest dealer is in Tennessee and we're not displeased with them, but I think David's more hacked at what we spent and what we got.

I spent 30 minutes locked in the shower because the new latch broke. Had to wait until David returned from walking the dog/talking to the neighbors/drinking cofee until I could get out! Major leak when we pulled in the rain, water collecting under the fridge in the drawer there, broken fixtures, no LP detector, shower that poured water onto the floor...just stuff that shouldn't have gone out.

We do pull with the fridge on because we are roadies....drive most of the day and then park. We've never had a problem before this unit and I'm not ready for food poisoning because the fridge wouldn't stay cold. Hey, what's a vacation without having ice cream? Can't keep it there because it won't stay cold enough.

Don't get me wrong...I love my silver palace...it's reputation is just a little tarnished at this pont.

Jenny
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
u may not approve of travel with the fridge running on lp gas...
but it IS supposed to function while in route and many of us have/do leave these modern units on while traveling...
I find it hard to believe that any current day corporate stucture would allow it's product to be sold with a requirement that it function in a fashion that would be in violation of state law in many of the states the product will be used.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
...Don't get me wrong...I love my silver palace...it's reputation is just a little tarnished at this pont....
agree completely!

most of us are pretty loyal airheads...

my suggestion is to make a list of EVERY single item...

so IF you go to the factory the big issues can be addressed,

but so can every single other issue big or small.

my list of repairs was many pages and dozens of items long..

the first trip

you've got warranty coverage, so use it!

i've never heard of anyone being locked in the shower! wow.

this might be a great place to install ON STAR service...

"hello ONSTAR, i'm taking a shower and can't get out!"

"yes mama, we'll send someone right over, with a towel..."

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I guess everyone has their own story.

We purchased a "new" 2002 Bambi that had sat on a lot for a year and half before we came along. During that time it must have had an untold number of walk-throughs. When we looked at the trailer there was no shortage of visible problems - most of which the dealer passed on to Airstream (we weren't impressed with the dealer).

To make a long story short .... we knew the dealer would not be a help ... we got a great deal .... but it came with some problems that I knew I would have to deal with (I'm sure the dealer was thrilled to see the trailer leave the lot) .... we accepted that if Airstream coughed up the parts I would likely have to do most of the repairs.

At the end of the day ....

Airstream was great - I got the parts I needed that were identified during the sale - and a number of others identified after the sale - I did the repair work (Ohio is also a 2 day drive away in the other direction) and they did additional repair work that I didn't have the skills to do as part of a vacation trip which took us past the factory.

All I can say is that I felt exceptionally well treated by Airstream the factory.

I should also mention that after warranty was over - I still felt exceptionally well treated - but this time I had to pay for it.

We now realize that the high price of an Airstream is not in a presumed "superior" product but is rather the price paid for its looks and an expensive aluminum construction technique.

Today we still love the trailer - but work on it from time to time (actually quite a lot) - but have no inclination to trade.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I find it hard to believe...
i find it hard to believe ne1 thinks product codes and state laws are in sync...

or that users pay attention to either!

don't hijack her basic thread topic, there are many threads here already on travel with the fridge or furnace or water heater running....

some are technical, some are the legal issues, tunnel restrictions, and some are wild fist pounding...

so take yer pick

cheers
2air'

Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We took our trailer to Jackson Center for some fixes, and some custom modifications we wanted, a few months after we bought it. I would highly recommend you do that. Not only will you get your trailer fixed, but you'll have time to tour the factory and really get a feel for how the unit is constructed, and why things work the way they do.

Our trailer was one of the first 28' CCDs built, and based on our experience in the repair shop, Airstream actually modified the design of that model in subsequent production.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
You're not alone

While I was out strolling and gossiping the shower door lock broke and the Mrs. was trapped in the shower til I got back. She was mildly upset at that but truly mad at my responses and actions. No I won't go into that.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
While I was out strolling and gossiping the shower door lock broke and the Mrs. was trapped in the shower til I got back. She was mildly upset at that but truly mad at my responses and actions. No I won't go into that.
LOL LOL LOL I almost wanted to start a thread about the funniest thing that happened in your unit. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! It made it into our trip blog at the time, and our friends really got a kick out of it! Someone suggested it was a good thing we weren't conserving water and showering together. I told the friend it was a little hard to do that with six gallons of hot water! LOL

Jenny
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
don't hijack her basic thread topic, there are many threads here already on travel with the fridge or furnace or water heater running....
2air,

You're the one who chose single out the issue... it was just one of the opinions I offered in reply to the original post.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Just my 2 cents, I believe there are many dealers who can sell a product but they do not have the people to perform a quality punchlist or fix it for that matter. I can see the current workforce of builders of these fine trailers having the mindset of letting the old school service guys and gals fix the problems that take place during their assembly due to their lack of skills, Take it to their service there is a group of techs that can fix your problems. Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
LOL LOL LOL I almost wanted to start a thread about the funniest thing that happened in your unit. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! It made it into our trip blog at the time, and our friends really got a kick out of it! Someone suggested it was a good thing we weren't conserving water and showering together. I told the friend it was a little hard to do that with six gallons of hot water! LOL

Jenny
Jenny - if your showering together - who needs hot water....

Good luck with your repairs.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay
I guess everyone has their own story.

We purchased a "new" 2002 Bambi that had sat on a lot for a year and half before we came along. During that time it must have had an untold number of walk-throughs. When we looked at the trailer there was no shortage of visible problems - most of which the dealer passed on to Airstream (we weren't impressed with the dealer).

To make a long story short .... we knew the dealer would not be a help ... we got a great deal .... but it came with some problems that I knew I would have to deal with (I'm sure the dealer was thrilled to see the trailer leave the lot) .... we accepted that if Airstream coughed up the parts I would likely have to do most of the repairs.

At the end of the day ....

Airstream was great - I got the parts I needed that were identified during the sale - and a number of others identified after the sale - I did the repair work (Ohio is also a 2 day drive away in the other direction) and they did additional repair work that I didn't have the skills to do as part of a vacation trip which took us past the factory.

All I can say is that I felt exceptionally well treated by Airstream the factory.

I should also mention that after warranty was over - I still felt exceptionally well treated - but this time I had to pay for it.

We now realize that the high price of an Airstream is not in a presumed "superior" product but is rather the price paid for its looks and an expensive aluminum construction technique.

Today we still love the trailer - but work on it from time to time (actually quite a lot) - but have no inclination to trade.

Jay
I've been loitering around the site for a year now, trying to decide if I am right for this great American design icon. The next to the last paragraph gives me pause for thought.
lwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
I spent 30 minutes locked in the shower because the new latch broke.
...and to this very day she's still wrinkly, folks!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood
I've been loitering around the site for a year now, trying to decide if I am right for this great American design icon. The next to the last paragraph gives me pause for thought.

lwood - you are right to wonder. But you should also remember the problems that arise with your new car, boat or home. Also, it may be that a lot of what you have seen here is "the loudest squeek gets the oil", or the only folks talking about problems may be the few who experience them. I think those folks are in the minority.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood
I bet there's some Rolls Royce web forum somewhere that you could watch, where you would get the impression that every new Rolls was a complete disaster. I bet there are oodles of complaints on the Rolex boards too.

Esssentally, an Airstream is a small apartment, that you drag down the road inside an airplane. To make matters worse, it's made of materials that are substantially flimsier than your typical apartment (or it would be too heavy to roll). A lot of people assume that they're more like a car, which we expect to be nearly perfect when delivered. That's really a hard thing to do with anything built via the Airstream techniques. Add to that the small numbers of each model produced annually, and the continual upgrade process, and you soon realize that every unit is basically a hand-built one-off.

Even so, people like them well enough to keep them going for decades. They're expensive, but that doesn't mean they're all perfect when delivered. You have to decide what you see as "value". We had to deal with several initial defects in ours, and they're all sorted out now. We plan to keep using our trailer for at least another 20 to 30 years. That's Airstream's niche, in my perosnal opinion.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
_

. , .
when outsiders (non a/s folks) approach and say, "wow you've got an a/s..."

"aren't they the best trailer made?"
"do they still make those?"
"those are built by boeing right?"
"what makes a/s so special?"

and so on...

my answer is typically,

"what sets an a/s apart is that most every one ever built can be repaired and has a pleasing shape that connects with past models..."

and "they are reasonably easy to tow and with proper care seem to out last other brands"

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
...We plan to keep using our trailer for at least another 20 to 30 years...
i kept the first one for 25 years.

but have a hard time imagining the current version lasting 1/2 that time without serious issues...

a/s may sell the myth of 'long lasting' now, just like they promote the myth of 'freedom to travel' or 'light weight' trailers...

but there have been so MANY design/build/material process changes in the last 15 years or so...

that it has become really hard to hope the current batch are keepers...

relatively weak frames, thinner more brittle skin, fewer rivets, erosion of the monocoque design, and so on...

"Past performance is not predictive of future performance"

is usually considered an investment warning/cliche'....

but given that a/s has considered reducing the factory warrant to ONE YEAR...

it may be fit here too...

cheers
2air'

i've posted about evenly positive and negative opinions on a/s the company, the product and the owner experience...

and it's the only rv brand i've owned.

we've all got a vested interest in seeing the company DO BETTER-BUILD BETTER-SUPPORT BETTER, now and going forward...

they cannot sell the 'history and tradition' for long with the new wave of buyers,

and will not be able to rely on the stylistic appeal with folks who expect fit and finish to match the shape and shine...