Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

1964 26' Overlander
Dayton , Texas
Houston Area Restoration

Does you have recommendations for a place to get a modest restoration of a 1964 Airstream in the Houston/Beaumont area? The trailer is in fair to good condition. Looking to get roof vents and air conditioner replaced, as well as some updated interior refurbishing.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

1964 26' Overlander
Dayton , Texas
New to this forum. Just wondering if any one can see and/or reply to this post?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Welcome!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
You might try sending a PM to 87MH. He probably can point you in the right direction.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome AirstreamElk. It kind of sounds like your 64 Overlander is in pretty good shape judging from the work you want done.

I've changed out vents and the AC, that mechanical work is rather straight forward. Most RV shops can handle the job. But cabinet work is not my forte. I met a cabinet maker the other day. We talked about rebuilding a galley cabinet or a bulkhead wall. Cabinet makers can do this kind of work.

The trouble with vintage Airstreams is all the other things you find wrong. Maybe you have done a thorough analysis of your trailer. Maybe you use it a lot. But axles get tired and subfloors get soft. Old Airstreams are prone to rain water leaks. And the list goes on.

It would be great to see some photos of your old Airstream. I've been working on my old Trade Wind for some time. It's getting better, but never done.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Front.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	240230  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Austin

There is a good place in Austin, but I am not aware of one in Houston. I've heard good things about him...hope taht helps KS

Eric Stoltz - Vintage Airstream Restore, Rebuild, Repair - Central Texas (New Braunfels, Austin, San Antonio, Houston)
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Roving Sewist

2003 25' Safari
Sanger , Texas
RV Masters in Houston has gotten good reviews. I contacted them recently for a quote on some work I need non-urgent done after hailstorm in Beaumont in April. They are backed up and couldn't give me a quote until July 1.
rvmastersinc.com

I deal with Duval's in Nederland for most fixing jobs. They just replaced my water inlet module. Nice people and reasonable. They do work on Airstreams, just not exclusively.
DotTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Kingwood , Texas
what are you wanting or needing to do? there sadly doesn't seem to be too many local places here in the Houston area that ive heard good things about. Ive been doing my own work so I know my trailer "better"
Old 06-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Like several others here, I have done nearly 100% of my own restoration work, but much of it is custom/Airstream specific. Appliance installation can generally be done by most RV dealers, since it is not really AS-specific. Try Holiday World, Camping World, PPL Motorhomes, etc. For interior work, look for a woodworker/finish carpenter.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Welcome AirstreamELK. I have had some experience with Holiday World in Katy and was disappointed - trailer was too old, I wasn't a new buyer customer who gets priority, would get to it when they could (and they are A/S dealer). Routine work was overpriced and took months. Got the coach back sans wheel chocks and safety chains. Go figure.

Several years ago I had work done by Vintage Travelers in Johnson City. Recent effort to get some major rework on a Spartan went south. Would avoid them.

I had a very satisfactory experience with Careys RV in North Houston. He is an independent shop; does warranty work for local RV dealer out of his home based shop. He had a vintage A/S he had just replaced the floor in as well as a 2005 for leak repair.

He was very fair, went over his work plan with me before he started, no surprises and reasonable rates. A great guy who enjoys his work. It seemed working on my Minuet was a treat for him. Will definitely go back. He is hard to find, but worth the effort. Give Cliff a call (713) 466-0131 and he will give you an honest response of what he can do and when he can do it. He works by appointment but I had no trouble getting in. Tell him Bob with the Minuet says hello.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
You might also reach out to Chris at Bob Jones RV in South Houston - but isn't there a vintage trailer shop near Dallas? Runs ads here, does a lot of solar stuff... can't recall the name.......
Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
Roving Sewist

2003 25' Safari
Sanger , Texas
I have had dealings with North Dallas Airstream and not been particularly pleased. The things I needed were fairly minor, no big repairs, just parts. I had to return just about all of the parts they sold me because they did not work on my 2003 Safari. Just simple things like new fittings for propane tanks and a hitch lock. Nice people though.
DotTexas is offline   Reply With Quote