Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Honda Generator Starting Problems

I have two one year old Honda 2000i Generators. I have a serious problem getting them started when they sit in between seasons. I have had Honda mowers and Snow blowers for 30 years and I follow the same procedures and never had a problem. First, I use ethanol free gas that I stabilize and rotate every six months. At season end I drain the fuel tanks, run the carbs dry and then drain whats left in the carb. I remove the plug and check it and then use a little fogging oil. Then change the oil. My mower and snowblower will start at the next season with 2 or 3 pulls. The generators take me at least a half hour of pulling and cursing, checking the plugs, removing the air filter and finally starting fluid. What is up with this?
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
You do an oil change before you winterize them? That makes sense

Keep them in a warm, dry area?

Dunno, it seems odd to have that much trouble...when it finally starts, do you get a lot of oil smoke when it just starts?

Maybe the fogging oil causes hard start issues? I run mine dry and change oil before storing for long periods, but don't put extra oil in the cylinder...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is a possibility that the spark plug caps may be faulty. Some of the Honda Generators had an out of specification spark plug cap. In any case, stop pulling and take them to your local honda dealer for a check up. They should not be difficult to start unless something is wrong. Best to find out now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ps-172577.html

Good Luck - Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Thanks for the input guys. It just seems odd that my other Honda small engines don't have the same issue. It is a puzzle.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The 2000's are not gravity flow fuel systems. They have a vacuum driven fuel pump. Draining the fuel from the bowl is the issue.

I am s strong believer in storing with a dry carb too, I even added valves so I can run them dry without removing the fuel bowl or emptying the tank.

But, it does make them hard start start the first time. Sometimes I use a LITTLE ether, just bump them a little to get the carbs primed.

The fuel pumps are nice, as one can used the large external fuel tanks for long run times.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
Honda 2000 generator start

Hi,
We've got a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator that is about 3 years old, and has been used for our hunting cabin. Once in a while someone will put regular unleaded gas in the tank by mistake. This past year we've had some starting problems with it, and to get it going, we have just tapped the bowl with a screwdriver handle, and once we just removed the air filter, and it started right up. I'm guessing the fuel system needs to be cleaned, but this is what we have run in to that may or may not help your situation.
ggreen63304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have two, have not used them in five years. Have done nothing, except ran them dry when I was done with them. Decided to take one with us to FL this winter, just in case we lost electricity in a campground due to storms etc and one will keep the battery charged.

Pulled one out of the garage, put gasoline in it, pulled it four times fired up and ran for two hours. I was amazed and pleased. Now ready to move out.

Good luck. I put the anti-ethanol additive in all the small engines we have, including these two - lots of it in each tank.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Carmel , Indiana
Can of Starting Fluid

On a trip to Pennsylvania, I got a blister and about threw out my shoulder trying to start my 2000i. I went to the old standby of taking out the spark plug and spraying a little starter fluid in the chamber. Voila!! Started right up. I carry a can with me in my Airstream box of tricks.
mapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen63304 View Post
Hi,
We've got a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator that is about 3 years old, and has been used for our hunting cabin. Once in a while someone will put regular unleaded gas in the tank by mistake. This past year we've had some starting problems with it, and to get it going, we have just tapped the bowl with a screwdriver handle, and once we just removed the air filter, and it started right up. I'm guessing the fuel system needs to be cleaned, but this is what we have run in to that may or may not help your situation.
Regular unleaded gas is a mistake? Are you saying it has to have premium unleaded?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Most regular unleaded contains some ethanol, which turns to jelly and corrodes internal carburetor parts. It’s better to use gasoline without ethanol in small engines. It does NOT have to be other than regular gas.

My genset runs on propane, and I plan to totally avoid gasoline use unless it’s a total emergency. Propane does mot gunk things up...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Most regular unleaded contains some ethanol, which turns to jelly and corrodes internal carburetor parts. It’s better to use gasoline without ethanol in small engines. It does NOT have to be other than regular gas.

My genset runs on propane, and I plan to totally avoid gasoline use unless it’s a total emergency. Propane does mot gunk things up...
This just isn't true. Jelly???? All fuel systems built after the late 80s have ethanol-proof components. (Unless specified otherwise...i have seen some cheap Chinese stuff which prohibits ethanol)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
When my Honda generators are hard to start after a period of non-use, I remove the float bowl and clean the main jet with a small carb brush. Then they start, no problem.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada

I have two 2000 watt Hondas. I do no special treatment to gas, oil etc. no draining tank or run carb dry. After a long period of sitting they are hard to start. My procedure is; add some fresh gas, choke, turn on, and pull. After three or four pulls, I stop and wait for at least two minutes. I than pull again a few times and it starts. I have been doing this for ten years with the same two generators. I hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I use 89 octane and start them once a month when in storage for the winter .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote