Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
Holding Tanks & Clearance Issue!

Hi All-

I have been looking at a 66 Tradewinds for sale, and am THIS close to purchasing. It is some distance away from me though, and another Forum member kindly agreed to go inspect it for me.

Well the inspection is complete! And I would say that it all looks good.

However, I have found one issue from the photo's the Inspector sent that I believe may be major.. Perhaps I am over-reacting, but...I am very concerned by the holding tank and water set-up on this trailer! The bath was moved by a PO from rear to a side configuration. They did a very nice job except for one big thing. The attached photos explain my concern...

I am worried about clearance issues. I plan to TRAVEL with this trailer.... A lot. If I was buying it to park it I wouldn't be worried but... this worries me.

sigh...

I would appreciate your feedback. I need to make a decision tomorrow...

Thanks in advance!

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2684 (Large).JPG
Views:	100
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	187533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691 (Large).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	187534  

Name:	IMG_2685 (Large).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	187535  

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My concern would not be with ground clearance, it would be with objects flying up from the road. Damaging the tank, especially on the forward end of the tank. Is there a rock shield in front of the tank?
Also, what are the tank straps fastened to? Is it strong enough to hold a full tank while traveling?
These issue could be relatively easy to resolve.
As long as you travel on paved roads. With the proper shielding, you should be OK.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It does not look like the tank is hanging down that much farther than the tanks on my center bath trailer. The lack of metal box around the tank does concern me but that can be fixed.

Perry
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
In that last picture, is that Pex or a water hose coming out the back of the trailer? If a hose, you might need to redo the water system.
How old are the axles? If old, new axles could raise the trailer up a few inches and give you more clearance. Shielding the tank all around would help too.

Kay
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I would guess that inlet is metal after the fitting. Boxing in the tank is far from a big problem I would suspect. I just started boxing my new, hanging below frame tanks, It is only one way. Steel is another option for frame and was suggested as the way by someone who forget more about AS then I know.

Tony

Rogue River
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1504.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	187560   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1493.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	187561  

Name:	DSCF1506.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	187562  
Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieevans View Post
Hi All-

I have been looking at a 66 Tradewinds for sale, and am THIS close to purchasing. It is some distance away from me though, and another Forum member kindly agreed to go inspect it for me.

Well the inspection is complete! And I would say that it all looks good.

However, I have found one issue from the photo's the Inspector sent that I believe may be major.. Perhaps I am over-reacting, but...I am very concerned by the holding tank and water set-up on this trailer! The bath was moved by a PO from rear to a side configuration. They did a very nice job except for one big thing. The attached photos explain my concern...

I am worried about clearance issues. I plan to TRAVEL with this trailer.... A lot. If I was buying it to park it I wouldn't be worried but... this worries me.

sigh...

I would appreciate your feedback. I need to make a decision tomorrow...

Thanks in advance!

Maggie
Maggie.

The condition of the rubber rods in the axles, also dictates the ground clearance.

Typically, ball park, 25 years is about it for their life, then the trailer settles closer to the ground.

If indeed the axles are original, new axles would raise the trailer about 3 inches.

Andy
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The concern about road debris is a valid one. Polyethylene tanks like that are difficult to repair and so I would recommend at least some sort of shield in front of it.

Ground clearance.... that will depend on where and how you travel.

Stay on the highways, streets, and on well-maintained gravel roads and you'll be fine.

But if you're off in a meadow somewhere and surprised by a rainstorm, it could end badly. Then again, replacing the tank isn't the end of the world either.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
Smile

Many Thanks to everyone who responded to my desperate plea for advice yesterday! Air Forum Members are sure a helpful bunch!

happy to say that asked on what I read here, my mind was put at ease! We proceeded with sale yesterday and are now the proud owners of a beautiful 1966 Tradewinds! Yippee!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
Jax , Florida
My '93 tanks are VERY low, I was also concerned about this on the 68 I am redoing and have installed new rear tanks that are 2 inches lower, and I'm going to enclose them. I studied a lot of new campers and some of the tanks are fully exposed and some of the dump plumbing practically hits the ground!(and is right behind the tire)! I would not worry about that amount of clearance .
Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
... I just started boxing my new, hanging below frame tanks, It is only one way. Steel is another option for frame and was suggested as the way by someone who forget more about AS then I know.

Tony

Rogue River
What are you using here in these pics? is that aluminum angle of some sort? haven't seen anything that large in the big-box stores.
got any more detail on the construction?
I'm plotting to box in a tank, myself...haven't quite decided how I'm going to do it. I was thinking of using some light-weight steel angle-irons...just big enough to provide a nailing surface to which I can cover with strips of belly-skin material.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Chuck

The aluminum came from a metal outfit that sell new and used. Cost me $2.75 a pound. Doesn't matter what. I bought 133lbs including 2 each 48 x 144 sheets of 6061 .40 for the belly pan. I bought that because it is what they had.

I figure I will be adding about 90lbs additional in weight more with the lowered belly pan frame made up of that 2 x 3" 3/16 aluminum. My belly pan is shinier than my trailer, go figure.

I figure some people will gringe to see me extending out the bumper but it is going to be a nice place to store the stinky slinky connector and the rest. It will not be used for the power cord as originally set up. Also isn't it super no more getting down on my knees to pull the value.

In picture shows grey value facing in, of course, this is just for figuring things out.

Sorry I don't have more for pics. I was just out laying out the plumbing. I will be posting a question that will have more pictures.

I am trying to find out if I should cut the solid 3" pipe between the valve elbow and the sweep and put a no hub boot on it to take up movement. See picture 3

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1567.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	187736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1585.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	187737  

Name:	DSCF1565.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	187738  
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Can't tell from the pictures - is the tank below the level of the axles? With good axles you should be fine - if not, you need new axles anyway.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
If you are commenting to me, the tanks are about 4 inches below the frame. The axels are about 3 inches or so so it is a bit below but the axels have been replaced

Tony