Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

1964 24' Tradewind
greensboro , North Carolina
holding tanks

Brand new to forum. Just purchased 1964 TW diamond in the rough I would like advice and help witl black/gray tank options

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard!

Remember a royal flush beats a full house!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralan View Post
Brand new to forum. Just purchased 1964 TW diamond in the rough I would like advice and help witl black/gray tank options
The black tank being above the floor is an easy fix. The original brass dump valve is junk. Vintage Trailer Supply has an adaptor to fit a modern valve. The gray tank is a bit more of a challenge requiring belly pan work. A lot of folks settle for a Blue Boy external tank.

My '63 rebuild was a shell off and allowed me to rebuild and install a gray system.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralan View Post
The black tank is available, but made with fiberglass.

Gray tanks were not used until the 1974 models.

Andy
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, ralan!

If you always camp by parking in an RV park, you don't need to worry about not having a grey tank; your connection to the drains will take care of that.

But if you want to camp off the connections, you will need another way to do it. There are wheeled, external portable tanks, commonly called 'Blue Boys' that will hold significant amounts, and may be towed to an available drain.

It is also possible to add a built-in grey tank. The search mechanism can find them for you.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #6

1964 24' Tradewind
greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks for all the kind replies. This TW is a complete restoration I really want to add a grey tank and considering compost toilet
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Do a search for "grey" and "gray" tanks, and you will find several threads discussing the options (a few of which I started or chimed in on). There are several relatively inexpensive options for tanks that hang well below the bellypan, and very few options for tanks that are thin enough to nest inside your frame. So the first decision you need to make is how much capacity you intend to have, and whether you can live with a tank that is visible, or if you want it to look "original" underneath.

There are several folks who have used the vintage grey water tanks available from Vintage Trailer Supply (I am one of them). The cost of having a smooth bellypan is buying two tanks instead of one big, cheap one, and the additional plumbing challenges that result.

good luck!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
If you're doing a big restoration, the gray tank option won't be a big deal - mentioned above. The harder part may be making sure you vent them appropriately. The modern 1 way venting valves are an awesome addition. I'm currently working on creating my own black and gray tanks out of 2 big 4x8 sheets of ABS I bought. The venting of the gray tanks will be done by a combination of tying into the old vent system as well as using 1 way valves hidden under the bunk bed (the problem is that when you drain into a gray tank you are displacing the air with water, but then when it drains, you need to introduce air. Modern 1 1/2 black ABS pipes will just barely fit through the openings in the floor channel. If you're going with a composting toilet, you don't have to worry about the black tank. If I didn't have an all original toilet, I would have done that.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Welcome! There is a lot if options for adding a grey tank, all of them are allot of work, but you can do it. I opted to extend my frame down making 3" deeper. Thus holding 7" tall tanks.

If you have not come across the VAP pod cast you should look it up. Lots of get info and rehabbing old AS. You can also buy all of the back pod casts on DVD. The go over tanks in length, I just can't remember the number of the episode. If you go to their web site they have a list. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris built our grey and black water tanks out of ABS. If you reference our thread: Little Girl Refurb", and start about post 169, he gives some pretty detailed information on how he did it. We are now using them and no problems so far.

Kay
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Chris built our grey and black water tanks out of ABS. If you reference our thread: Little Girl Refurb", and start about post 169, he gives some pretty detailed information on how he did it. We are now using them and no problems so far.

Kay
Thanks! I'll go check it out. I plan on doing a video of my work, and then showing how to create a gray water retrofit on an old trailer. My biggest issue was that there's very little diagram on how to actually do it.

I think the 64 black below the floor was the coolest option. Mine also has a rear exit for the hookup, again, making it look like it has no tanks, and keeping the bottom clutter free.

Mine has a piece of welded angle iron that allows a 6" high tank in the rear compared to 4" tanks elsewhere.