Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Hitch Jack

2008 International FB 25.

Hitch jack is giving me problems. When I press switch do down mode it will come on and lower. When I lift up on switch it strains to make one single turn of the gear and quits. Down again, no prob. Up, next to nothing.

This same thing occurred a couple of years ago and I simply replaced the in line 30 amp glass fuse and it's worked like it should until our last camping trip in December.

Hoping it's just a switch and not the motor. Going to get in to the thing as soon as the weather clears up enough to get outside and do it.

If I wasn't a believer in using the stabilizer bars in transit I wouldn't worry about it, I can ratchet the trailer up and down pretty easily but I'm kind of uncomfortable towing without the anti sways on.

Any ideas and or tips before I take this on are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The brand of hitch jack might be of interest but this comment is pretty universal. Is the post bent? Look for gouges on the post. Can happen if you bump or push trailer with TV while hooking up and post is down. Bent post tube will not retract too well.

I can recommend the Husky hitch jack if you're replacing.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the jack works at all it is not a fuse problem. However that said it may be the contacts at the fuse are dirty and acting as a resister. Check and clean them.

I am assuming when you say the jack will not go up you mean with the load of the trailer on it as apposed to just retracting the jack without load.

Again if the jack will go in either direction without a load on it I would look for a dirty or loose connection in the supply line.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Be sure the post is lubricated. Extend it all the way, then wipe it down with silicone or lithium grease.
The good news is they're not frightfully expensive to replace.
(Husky super brute)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Streamglider,

Any conclusion?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Limit switch?

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd keep a bottle jack handy in case you need to lift the hitch without the electric jack.
Then I'd remove the three 3/16" bolts and see if the jack runs up and down with no load on it.
I've also built a square block from 2" x 4"s and a (2)10" squares of plywood. I use it under the foot. (Next time I'll use 2" x 6"s and make it taller.
The longer you extend the jack, the more trouble it has with jamming. Especially if the tires can roll against it.

Mine refused to go down after I had the trailer hooked to the TV and both jacked up to place the bars on.
I couldn't release the tongue, I couldn't lower the jack, and I couldn't drive the TV. Yikes!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd keep a bottle jack handy in case you need to lift the hitch without the electric jack.
Then I'd remove the three 3/16" bolts and see if the jack runs up and down with no load on it.
I've also built a square block from 2" x 4"s and a (2)10" squares of plywood. I use it under the foot. (Next time I'll use 2" x 6"s and make it taller.
The longer you extend the jack, the more trouble it has with jamming. Especially if the tires can roll against it.

Mine refused to go down after I had the trailer hooked to the TV and both jacked up to place the bars on.
I couldn't release the tongue, I couldn't lower the jack, and I couldn't drive the TV. Yikes!
Sometimes w/a little bind on jack when both are raised trailer won't come loose I simply step on bumper maybe bounce, trailer will drop off ball.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Sorry for the delay, we've had some horrible weather here in South Texas between rain and freezing temps I hadn't gone out and even attempted to remedy the issue.

I think I may have gotten lucky and only needed to clean the contacts in the fuse casing. For at least a few attempts it worked as it's supposed to. Huge sigh of relief.

Now once the temps rise up I'll heave another sigh if my winterization was effective.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote