Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Oceanside , California
Hit by a Motorcycle

I was excited to be joining the community of Airstream enthusiasts after purchasing my first trailer, 1970 Overlander. While driving it home to San Diego through LA yesterday a motorcyclist decided to split lanes where there was no room and bounced off another car and smashed into the rear driver side panel of the Airstream. Broken hand for the Motorcyclist and broken rear panel for me. I am hoping for some input on what dollar value I should be expecting this to cost in case their insurance comes back with a low ball number. Any input the community can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B79E0DB1-22CC-46C2-9EE5-1DB4ED2D2066.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	333198   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD3DC3B4-08E5-4CCB-BD65-FFDDBA8D105E.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	333199  

itiswell.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
That is going to be a very big job. I would contact someone who can do the job correctly.
http://www.area63productions.com/

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My advice is don't let the insurance company come back with a number, period.

Did that also crack your sewer pipe?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswell.com View Post
I was excited to be joining the community of Airstream enthusiasts after purchasing my first trailer, 1970 Overlander. While driving it home to San Diego through LA yesterday a motorcyclist decided to split lanes where there was no room and bounced off another car and smashed into the rear driver side panel of the Airstream. Broken hand for the Motorcyclist and broken rear panel for me. I am hoping for some input on what dollar value I should be expecting this to cost in case their insurance comes back with a low ball number. Any input the community can offer would be greatly appreciated.
To repair it correctly, you are going to need to replace the entire side sheet. Then, it will need to be polished to match the rest of the trailer. Neither of those things is cheap, plus the modern aluminum from Airstream is a different grade than the original, which will also add to the challenge--and cost.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Show them the bill of sale and tell them they just bought an Airstream.

Very sorry to see this. good luck.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Show them the bill of sale and tell them they just bought an Airstream.

Very sorry to see this. good luck.
This sounds like a good idea. The cost to replace that entire side will not be cheap, and then there is the issue with whether it will match or not when complete. Hence, my agreement with AlinCal.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
First I would get a repair quote from an Airstream Dealer including info on how it will compare to non damaged panels. If the repair is more than the value of the unit hopefully you will at least get your original cost.
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I'm sure they will "low ball" you no matter what you do.

Twice I had a total loss in vehicle accidents ticketed against other driver in both cases insurance wanted to settle right away and in both cases I replace the vehicles and told insurance I am in no hurry and if it takes 10 years to settle that's OK. I was asking the very good condition blue book amount. Both times that is what I received.

Moral of the story do not be in a hurry to settle and know what it will take to replace since I bet they will total out the Airstream at what THEY say is the value.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
I had similar damage from broken iced up limb falling through by 70 ambassador like a spear being driven through the roof. The proper repair would be to replace the entire AL segment. Due to labor cost and challenge to acquire the matching material the bid was just over $10,000. I had to settle for the value of what I had insured the the project I was in the middle of. Therefore, I patched the roof which is only visible to the taller people Good luck, hold your ground
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Send pictures to either Airstream in Jackson Center, Ohio for a quote on repairs the get an estimate on polishing to add to it. Both are probably more than what you paid. If they total, make sure you don't accept anything less than what you paid along with money spent to pick it up and bring it home. If lower then I would threaten to take them to court.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Two summers ago, I hit a bridge guardrail, which left a substantial crease from the front to the rear of the right side of my AS FC27. I took the trailer to my local AS dealer, who gave me an estimate of slightly more than $16K to repair the damage (all on the surface, none inside). I would not be surprised if your estimate by your local AS dealer would be comparable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS Dent 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	333208   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Dent 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	333209  

Name:	AS Dent 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	333210  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswell.com View Post
Big question; did/do you have insurance on this new trailer?? (hope so!) Either way, your in for some "not so fun" time consuming adventures ahead with this one...I hate CA laws for motorcycle's...they always try to split lanes and scare the heck out of motorists...anyway, soo sorry to hear your plight...please keep us informed on what you end up doing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
I have damaged and had repairs to several vintage airstreams. (1963 Safari and 1966 Overlander) I suffered a wheel issue on the Overlander that did similar (actually greater damage) to yours. Depending upon who does the repair you are looking at $4500-$10k. I suspect you trailer has other panels that have also been replaced before. It can be matched.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
What a bummer. There's a place in salt lake that builds Cobras. They know aluminum. They may be able to help you. If not, maybe they know how to get some older tech aluminum panels for you. It is possible, they can fix that rip. I saw a video from them, where they had an ac cobra that got hit on the rear end. It looked pretty bad. They fixed it, to perfection. No new parts, just pulling, a little heat, massaging it. The car looked perfect when they were done with it. The difficulty I can foresee is, AS sides are thinner aluminum than a cobra. It's worth a call. Hope this helps a little DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Vintagetrailer

Vintage Kin Owner
Helena , Montana
For a 1970 there are several vintage Airstream restorers in your area. Have them look at it. They can match panels. I’d say they have more real world experience on older nice trailers than modern Airstream dealers

Come on out to the Modernism Week vintage trailer show in Palm Springs in a couple weeks and you can pick owners brains

Our State Farm insurance does not allow stated value for our 1946 and 1949 Curtis Wright’s but actual value. Which these guys can best prove

Jim Polk appraised ours and it is worth it on vintage trailers
Dal Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #16
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
Repair

Vinnys North Bay Airstream is the expert in this type work and the go-to-guy. Going to be be more than
insurance people expect.
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Scenic , Arizona
The Cobra people are , Kirkham Motorsports , 801-377-8224 , they are on the edge of Provo, UT , unless they moved. You should be able to locate them through this info.
I have no idea if they would body repairs on an Airstream.
dieppe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
IMO I would contact AS service center Jackson center in Ohio, they will ask for pics and some questions of damage. They will give fairly accurate estimate to repair. This is only place I would have repairs done, some others may be as good but I only have them do repairs. I'm not a lawyer but IMO the motorcyclist has total responsiblity for damage. In Illinois he does not pay loses lic. plus possible jail time. I would not accept any settlement less than pur. price, plus any other expenses relating to accident or repair damage at no cost to you. Legals are on your side Keep accurate records of every thing said and done as some Ins co. will try to wiggle out of every thing.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
If you got a good deal on your Airstream don't tell them what you paid for it, it is none of there business and it might influence them on the value. They owe you the for market value if it is a total loss. And they will use the market value to determine if it is aT/L.
I was an insurance adjuster and claim manager for 38 years. Heavy equipment and RVs were my specialty.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by helwigc View Post
If you got a good deal on your Airstream don't tell them what you paid for it, it is none of there business and it might influence them on the value. They owe you the for market value if it is a total loss. And they will use the market value to determine if it is aT/L.
I was an insurance adjuster and claim manager for 38 years. Heavy equipment and RVs were my specialty.
Very good advice from some one that nos ins and outs of claims.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote