Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Mountain Gal

cardiff , California
Hi- New Airstream Overlander 64 Owner Introduction

Hi All,

I just purchased a 64 airstream in Montana yesterday. Having very limited knowledge of the systems in the AS I am reaching out to introduce myself and
ask questions about the work that needs to be done.

I have photos and a 22 point list of what I saw when I went through the AS for two days. I have a guy in Missoula who will be working up an estimate for me and one in CA - want to see the difference in labor costs state to state.

Any advice- help- warning will be most welcome.

I am planning on boondocking all over MT for the summer and need me and my two pups to be safe!

thanks

alexa
lexyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome to the forum! 64 Overlanders are cool - but I might be biased.

Make a big cup of coffee and start reading - there's a lot of info on the forum from folks who have restored, repaired and redone this model and other 64's. The systems within a model year, regardless of length are all about the same so don;t over look threads for other models.

Happy surfing

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
I'm new, too. I feel like I'm at the base of a large learning curve. ! I'm picking up info here and there... enjoying several blogs, too. I've encountered SO many super-nice, helpful people. Excited to be a part of such a community. Taking ours on its inaugural voyage next weekend! Wish me luck and good luck to you.
pamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Lexyco, good luck with your "new"AS. Be prepared for lots of looks and questions. We've been working on our 66 Tradewind off and on for the last few years. Everyone who visits always asks about it. A utility worker was here yesterday and that's all he talked about. He said I know it's made of aluminum but with the current prices you would think they were made of gold. We've put a lot of work in and still have a bit to go before it's roadworthy. I'm gonna have it on the road by the end of the summer!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Best of luck with yours. So much great info and resources on this forum.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Congrats on your purchase. Please post some pics and give a better condition description. The first question is which way do you want to go, retro (renovate/restore) or gut. The second is what do you want to do with it. You mention boondocking with your dogs. There is no gray tank in your Overlander. Unless you go to full hook up campgrounds, you will be inconvenienced to say the least. You can always use a tote, but unless you have some place to dump it, does you little good. To do extensive boondocking, you need a gray tank. You will also need two new axles. Just put those on the list. Post some pics and new info. I am just about quarter of the way with my 67 Overlander. Am staying the week with my dogs in my 61 Tradewind and wishing I had those two extra feet!

Michael Higgins
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Ridgecrest , California
Hi,
You came to the right place for sure.

As someone who purchased their trailer outside of the state (UT) in which they live (CA), I can tell you that if someone is going to do work on your trailer, you will want to be within close proximity. I wish I had been closer to my trailer while it was worked on. It's a process that will have many questions that need to be answered by you, even if you are only getting a couple things done, or a couple appliances replaced, etc.
Labor cost may differ from state to state, but more importantly is trusting (good references) whoever does the work.
Good luck and hope your summer is great.
Weimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
Mountain Gal

cardiff , California
Thanks Michael

I am going to post all the reno pics in google drive this am and will share the link

An Rv place in Missoula says $5K for the work minimum toilet/freshwater tank/ pump/
misc items.. Guess I am concerned about what comes after the initial repairs but they wont know that until the AS is in the shop.

Any advice on parts re: letting the dealership order/pay them markup or trying to source on my own and ship to them.. they quoted $300 on a fresh water tank and vintage trailer supply says $198. Their labor cost is $129 and hour for plumbing YIKES

thanks for the help!

Lex
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Mountain Gal

cardiff , California
thanks for the location info-- Bretz RV guys were super nice- costs are high on labor trying to see if that is even negotiable?

has anyone ever gotten the hourly labor cost down by negotiating?

they want $129 on plumbing labor
Old 04-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
Mountain Gal

cardiff , California
great to know I am not alone on the journey!!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
Mountain Gal

cardiff , California
Updates- Pics and Punch List

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EU&usp=sharing

Here is the list of immediate needs for the airstream 64 overlander.

The photos are attached and will follow in order of the questions/ concerns I have.

1. Toilet- bowl is in good condition but not hooked up in underneath current owner
did not use the toilet ever. Need to get that working in order for me to camp.

2. Hot water heater- I lifted the casing/fiberglass to see if there were any issues
saw small leak as the paper around the heater was mildly wet after we ran the hot
water for 2-3 min.

3. Water tank under the bed is cracked needs new one

4. Pump is not hooked up its very old prob need new one.

5. Sink in bathroom has leak at the joint under can be seen when panel at rear is removed. prob needs caulking only

6. Battery is shot needs 1 or maybe two if we can configure that so I have additional reserves when boondocking

7. all the appliances worked when tested

stove, burner tops fridge sink-

need to replace the faucet on sink its neck is not long enough owner says some water backspash is annoying issue
and could be long term damage to molding and cabinets

8 underbelly is solid no corrosion rust damages panels etc

9. grey water and black water tanks - no clue cant see them please check on those

10. Windows on camper are sealed but horribly they look a mess and could use a solid weatherproofing/recaulking
this is something I can do but if its not expensive Id rather professionals do it

11.. furnace has never been turned on looks scary - not worried about heat now in the summer fall

12. heater on side of fridge is working but needs a safety once over please

13. panel under hot water heather on outside of airstream is loose as well as the access one for the fridge
duct tape is there now need better fix for road travel

14. inside the trailer the skylight in the back has an issue with the fan setup its a mess cover is wrong etc
please advise on solution

15. inside the front- skylight over the couch there is water damage although minor on the wood panel that the light fixture sits on
need to check and see how much there really is

16. lights all work need new bulbs in all lights and fixtures by couch

17. floors- this is a want not a need if i were to want to lay down new vinyl plank flooring would that be ok based on what you see there currently
and if so is there someone there that has done that work before or someone outside the dealership you trust to refer me to Im not sure I am that handy yet

18. over the heater on side of fridge on upper cabinet is a crazy fixture that no longer has the globe/ mantle for it to work right Id rather cap that off than use it
can we do that?

19.fan over stove not operable - can it be fixed or does it need replaced?

20- Braking system/propane tank check/ running lights etc-

21,. left side tire losing air owner thinks it was mounted wrong
Old 04-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Interesting. Looks like various things have been done by PO. You need to focus on the mechanics of the trailer before you worry about cosmetics. I am betting the PO did not replace the axles. Put that top of the list as a "will have to be replaced." What happens when you run water in the sink? Where does it go. In 1964, gray tanks had not even been thought about. If the water just runs out, you do not have a tank (which would have been added by PO). If it does not just run out, you need to determine where it goes. Some people rerouted plumbing so it all goes to the black tank that is directly under the toilet. Those tanks are small and intended for black water only. The furnace needs to go away. Dangerous. How well does the Univolt work? Both electrical systems working well?

If it were me I would spent a good amount of time going over the forums here. Read up on things in some of the threads about full overhauls of early 60's trailers. Go poke around yours as you learn things to better evaluate the trailer. I question how well the place you got the estimates knows vintage Airstreams. You need to know more than they do to make sure they are doing things right. But the way, that "crazy fixture that no longer has the globe/ mantle" is actually kind of a cool gas light that runs off the propane system. You can still buy them.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The "underbelly" may look solid but its the frame above it you can't see that can be an issue. Pull out the beds and the drawers under everything and check for floor rot and stains from leaks. Then once you identify the area of the leak, start sealing the shell...seams, around vents and windows to eliminate ( hopefully) the leaks.
Then on to the systems repairs. Plumbing first. If there are leaks in the lines read up on PEX replacement.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
Mountain Gal

cardiff , California
thanks for the info.. will have the RV guys check into the underbelly once I get it to Missoula!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here are some thoughts about your list - my notes are below each item with some rough costs for parts. Try not to be discouraged - this is a lovely trailer but it will need some work to restore it to it's former self. Focus on the systems save the cosmetic stuff for later.

1. Toilet- bowl
This may be your biggest challenge. If the original toilet is still there you may have a heck of a time rebuilding it. In mine I found that some sealand parts were interchangeable BUT replacing would be the fastest path forward and what I ultimately did after two rebuilds. $300.00

2. Hot water heater-
Replace - new ones are efficient and the entire unit simply slides in. $400.00

3. Water tank under the bed
Replace - make sure that you get a thick walled water tank - many are thin and will not survive long. Vintage trailer supply is your best bet. $300.00

4. Pump is not hooked up its very old prob need new one.
New pump $200.00

5. Sink in bathroom - repair

6. Battery is shot - 2 new batteries AND an intellipower converter to replace the old univolt (which will trash your nice new batteries if it's still working).
2 Batteries and $200.00 for univolt redo.

7. stove, burner tops fridge sink- need to replace the faucet on sink
Leave for now.

8 underbelly is solid no corrosion rust damages panels etc
Buy some rivets - you will need them to get belly pan back in place after various repairs. $40.00

9. grey water and black water tanks -
Unless the trailer was retro fitted, there is no gray tank. One can be added however and there are several ways to do this either under the floor of in the floor of a closet (which we did). The black tank will need to be tested - might still be good. Cheap alternative for gray tank is a blue tote (portable tank) but this gets old quickly... $80 - $300.00

10. Windows on camper are sealed but horribly
NO Silicon on aluminum. You can remove and reseal as time permits

11.. furnace has never been turned on looks scary
replace - safety concerns. $400.

12. heater on side of fridge is working but needs a safety once over please
Addition: Co2 detector. $50.00

13. panel under hot water heater on outside of airstream is loose
These old panels rattle - may be fine. If you replace hot water heater, it will come with a new cover.

14. inside the trailer the skylight in the back has an issue with the fan setup its a mess cover is wrong etc.
Replace fan/s with fantastic fans - $150.00 each

15. inside the front- skylight over the couch
There are after market covers and new lifters available for this but the cheapest path forward and maybe the best solution is to go to a window shop and get a fixed, skylight cover. There are plenty of windows and ventilation in this trailer - the skylight doesn't really need to open.

16. lights all work need new bulbs in all lights and fixtures by couch.
Bulbs from auto parts store. $10.00

17. floors-
Cosmetic - safe for another date

18. Propane lamp
This is a humphrey Lamp. Parts are available and inexpensive.

19. fan over stove not operable
These can be taken apart and fixed but you can replace if needed. I never use mine.

20- Braking system/propane tank check/ running lights etc-
See below

21,. left side tire losing air
New tires. $700.00
new axles - yours appear to be shot. $2000.00

22. (I added this) Replumb with Pex. You have a lot going on with the plumbing in this trailer - take the opportunity to replace old copper lines (which may have winter damage) with flexible pex lines.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote