Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to work we go, refurbing a '93

Disney theme, starting a new restore of a 93 Excella 1000 30 footer

Traveling 1200 miles on photos alone is nerve wracking ( no one nearby to take a peakaboo). The photos were worse than the actual trailer, pheww.

Now the work begins on rehabbing the original worn stuff to make my new digs habitable, some insight on what you may need to do refurb one.

1. clean anything you can see, eyuccck, hadn't seen a rag in 18 years.
2. replace all screens, nice light brown bleached out ones ready to vaporize and clean windows of black mold (Florida stream).
3. Replace all cabinate hinges after removing and cleaning oak doors, wow what a difference, reoiled doors with English lemon oil from Home Depot, my favorite candy store.
4. Replace faucet ends with new ones, old plugged by sediment.
5. Tear out all plastic faded belt mouldings and replace with new, big difference especially after cleaning 18 years of crud out of channels.
6. Replace LF jack pad (curled under somehow and rusty).
7. Replace all marker lights with LEDs from WalMart.
8. Reseal all exterior seams with Parbond. Cutting old 1/4 inch sealer from tops of windows was a chore, talk about overkill.
9. Replace bed lifts only to find out old ones ok, mattress must be to heavy or lifts there are wrong ones??? mystery for later
10. Discover floor under bed rotted below right tail light, not lights fault, small area pushed in 1/4 inch for some time above lower moulding, rotted floor 6" by 12", mold smell GAHHH, rest of wood looks good, have to cut out carpet under bad anyway, still had original factory plastic on it.
11. Thank God PO dropped $1600 at dealer in May replacing furnace burner, fridge control module and other assorted stuff, he felt trailer was like new now.
12. Discover tire bald over one foot area, broken belt, rest of tire at 9/32nds (always check all the away around tires) found couple rivets loose above wheel wells, puppy must have been shaking it's patootie off going down the road.
13. Buffed rock guards with plastic cleaner, oh what the heck buff bumper as well, wow I can see the buffer on the ground nice surprise
14. Painted the roof panels with Kool Seal, nice change, after 3 weeks daily non-stop going buggy , have to site see some to take a break, never been to Naples.
15. Replace bedroom headboard and valance material, almost dust, and gawd what colors they used in 93.
16. Replace screaming shower fan, after cleaning housing, blechhh.

Now what to do about the clear at the tops of the sides, front and back end caps that has degraded (PO left me a Makita palm sander, he was merrily sanding the end cap and started on the right rear side to remove the clear, oh well top of end cap had surprise basket ball dent anyway )

Still have to address minor frame rust, wheel well plates rusted through on bottom, like swiss cheese (sand blasted rolling down Florida roads).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, still have to replace old carpet in front, PO had rear floor done with Bruce wood flooring, a plus. Lordy I'm tired and $1800 poorer.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
What's "Kool Seal" ?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Belt Moulding Replacement Q?

"5. Tear out all plastic faded belt mouldings and replace with new, big difference especially after cleaning 18 years of crud out of channels."

That would be a nice improvement for our '99 Excella 1000 30' like yours. Can you, or one of our friends, lead me to a step-by-step on how to do that, and where one buys the replacement belt? Thanks and nice work.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Off to W*** we go

I thought we were not allowed to use 4 letter words on this forum. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
4 letter words

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I thought we were not allowed to use 4 letter words on this forum. Sal.
oops my bad
Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Airstream parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
"5. Tear out all plastic faded belt mouldings and replace with new, big difference especially after cleaning 18 years of crud out of channels."

That would be a nice improvement for our '99 Excella 1000 30' like yours. Can you, or one of our friends, lead me to a step-by-step on how to do that, and where one buys the replacement belt? Thanks and nice work.

Any dealer carries the 1/4" and 1" plastic insert,some have 50 foot rolls, just drill out the rivets that secure the ends from walking and pull it out, clean the channel and install new one.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Kool Seal suggested by someone, white elastomer coating for metal roofs, goes on easy and drys in 6 hours if humidity below 70%
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
wheel well rust not plastic liners/ keep getting kicked off site weird

The rusted metal in the wheel wells is not the black plastic wells covers but the metal plates at the bottom that curves with the bannanna wrap.

Every time I post something or try quick reply this site goes to the new page and shows I'm not logged in, very frustrating . I can see response from Andy on email but not on airstream site forum, and even trying to post this it says I do not have permission to perform this action even though logged in, weird. anybody have an ideas???
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
The parts you are talking about are called OUTRIGGERS.
Andy sells them P/N 12304 & 12306. You will need one of each number per side.
http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/images/Frame.jpg
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
outriggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
The parts you are talking about are called OUTRIGGERS.
Andy sells them P/N 12304 & 12306. You will need one of each number per side.
http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/images/Frame.jpg
I see, so the outriggers are solid before and after the wheels to keep sand, rocks, water and such from being slung off the tires into the undercarraige, never though of that. I think I'll just cap the puppies can't weld remove bannanna wrap and such to fix that problem, (to limited on serious work).

Thanks