Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Here's my '67 Overlander

Bought this 1967 Airstream Overlander Land Yacht International last month in Fayetteville, AR. The PO hadn't owned it very long and did not know much about it's history.

Thanks to this forum, I have a good plan and feel confident in my ability to complete this project. My son and I managed to get it gutted and skinned over several work days and its ready for the next phase. At this point, I'm going to take a couple of weeks off before I get to work on the frame and floor.

Pics
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Awesome find but where are the pictures you need to take lots of pictures of everything for reference and some for posting (in case you have questions). I do recommend csi type pictures because they help! Enjoy and welcome
Cliff
Old 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Thanks, Cliff.

I put a link to the pics at the end of the post.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
You have your work cut out for you but with your help and your current level of motivation you can do it! I would replace the middle (most damaged) panel but a replacement will be expensive! You can weld right? If not it is time to burn up the harbor freight and start learning some new skills! Find a local hvac fabricators for some of the aluminum parts that you need and VTS for rivets. Please keep us posted and thank you!
Cliff
Old 06-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ooh, baby needs a lot of love! I (seriously) love that turquoise bath tub! Are you going to reuse anything you took out? Keep us posted!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I would be painting that to a more acceptable color what ever she likes!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 06-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Wow! You are really into it over there!! Hope you and your son are having fun. Those dents are serious. I am working on my '68 Overlander and much looks the same inside.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I also live in tulsa( Brookside area), how about you? I would like to see your trailer. Feel free to call me w/ any questions...(918)645-2762... Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My 66 looked a lot like that inside when I got it. It had dead birds, rodents, nests, filth and mold.
I was surprised to find only two small leaks. Both involved un-caulked roof vents. The floor below had minimal rot and almost zero frame damage. What took most of my time and energy was cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.
It has come a long way since then. These are great old trailers and well worth the time you will put it. Good luck!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Pics of My '67 Overlander

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

@Cliff- I've been in contact with Liz and Andy at Inland RV and they sent me a very reasonable quote for the replacement exterior panels. If I can't get the damaged panels looking better, I will replace them eventually. They don't have to be perfect. Just good. Inland RV also has the small curved glass replacements I need. Luckily, the large, curved side windows are all intact and the front and back windows are not special. I look forward to learning how to weld. I was able to buy the step and all the outriggers I need from Out Of Doors Mart so I don't have to fabricate anything. Also got some 5 1/2" U channel from Metal Depot for the main frame.

@Kay- Glad you appreciate the Turquoise tub. I just need to repair a couple of chipped places on the side. Otherwise it's in great shape and will buff out nicely. I'm going to keep the trailer original so I will be reusing everything.

@Bunkroom- I've been fortunate to have my son's help on this project and its been fun working together. Is your trailer in pretty good condition or are you having to a lot of work on it?

@Brian- I'll be in touch. I live in Sungate at 55th and Sheridan but my trailer is at my Dad's in Tahlequah where there's plenty of room and storage to work on it.

@ALANSD- I spent 2 days getting my trailer clean enough to start the work inside. Wish a good cleaning was all it needed but I bought it knowing that this trailer needed the works. Your trailer looks amazing and is an inspiration!
Old 06-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Let the fun begin!! The state of your bathroom brings back lots of memories!! The bath in my 68 TW is the same color and layout as yours. Send my a PM when you get to the point of painting and fixing it, I'll share some tips and traps.

I had a big dent on the rear of my 68 above the window where someone back under a low garage. I was able to make it look OK by pushing it out with a rounded end of an old baseball bat and using very light taps with a body hammer and dolly. Aluminum panels don't "work" like sheet metal and you can't fill in the minor low spots with filler and then hide that with pain. All depends on what you can live with.

Don't think the AC is an Armstrong, at least it isn't like mine.

Check out Tom's web pages as he chronicles the rehab of his 67 Overlander. Tom has a weath of knowledge on the 67. 1967 Airstream Overlander

Enjoy the work. Don't underestimate the time it will take or the money. I found that usually about 4x the time planned and 2-3x the money is about right. Seriously. But, we had a blast in ours as an aluminum tent on several trips as work progressed over the 2 years I took doing mine.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks. Ours was a great find. A one owner that remained unused for 18 or so years.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Mike when you are practicing your welding do the mallet test with a rubber mallet smack the outrigger or crossmember you welded like you really mean it and then check your weld! If it breaks then no weld just made a lump of slag and will have to grind it off and try again! Don't get frustrated just take your time prep and you will get it!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
You have your work cut out for you but with your help and your current level of motivation you can do it! I would replace the middle (most damaged) panel but a replacement will be expensive! You can weld right? If not it is time to burn up the harbor freight and start learning some new skills! Find a local hvac fabricators for some of the aluminum parts that you need and VTS for rivets. Please keep us posted and thank you!
Cliff
Cliff,
The endcap panels of this era are no longer available, however we have had great success repairing them with our English wheel, & various other sheet metal fabrication tools. The panels will need to be removed in order to repair them properly. The lower panel can be fabricated from new flatstock Alclad 2024 T3 .032" from Aircraft Spruce.com or Airparts.com .
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Mikextr, I'm going to lake Tenkiller for the 4th, never been there but think its near tahlequa ?, anyway give me a shout!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
We are going to be in Eagle's Nest New Mexico for the 4th.

Tenkiller is a beautiful lake. Should be especially nice considering the recent rains we've had.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Cliff,
The endcap panels of this era are no longer available, however we have had great success repairing them with our English wheel, & various other sheet metal fabrication tools. The panels will need to be removed in order to repair them properly. The lower panel can be fabricated from new flatstock Alclad 2024 T3 .032" from Aircraft Spruce.com or Airparts.com .
Colin
Inland RV has the panels. I sent pictures along with my model number
and they provided me a quote.

Thanks for the tip on the lower panel!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Inland RV has the panels. I sent pictures along with my model number
and they provided me a quote.

Thanks for the tip on the lower panel!
Unless these panels are NOS (new old stock), they are not made from the original metal & therefore will not look the same once they are in place.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Unless these panels are NOS (new old stock), they are not made from the original metal & therefore will not look the same once they are in place.
Colin
Many original segments are still available for the 1968 and older Airstreams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Floor removal

I'm back from vacation with my family and finally got some time to work on my trailer. Here are some pics of the process I used to remove my floor. You can go to my blog for more details.