Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Help with electrical tire blowout took out power

Going through Mohave Ca today and had a tire curbside front come apart. It blew through the wheelwell and caught the power umbilical shredding the connector pulling apart. Can't even tell which side go together and a grey wire pulled loose from connector. This is a 06 25' Safari FB Le. Currently no lights inside fantastic fan, Sony player dead and outside lights out. Anybody with a schematic drawing of what these wires are and if connection please help.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have an 05, and recall there being some wiring diagrams for my trailer in my manual, so I looked on the Airstream site for a diagram for your model/year. It would appear that your manual is significantly different, and doesn't have as much information. I am including a link to the 05 Safari manual in hope that not much has changed. There are some fairly detailed diagrams of the 2005 25 ft. AS starting around page 145. Hope this helps.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...36b910e26a.pdf
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Rich

Sorry about your tire/electrical problems. Maybe you could post some photos of the electrical area damaged. That may help. Sorry I can't help more.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Was the tire a Goodyear Marathon? How did it fail? Signs of the thread coming off like a rethread.
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not sure if you want to go this far or are even able to travel, but here are directions to a couple of Airstream repair facilities near Mojave, California.

Note: I have no experience with any of these business, other than purchasing Centramatics from Inland RV.

* Airstream of Los Angeles, San Gabriel, California: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

* Southwest Coaches, Corona, California: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

* Inland RV, Corona, California: 391 Elizabeth Ln, Corona, CA 92880 - Google Maps

* Airstream Dealer Locator: Airstream, Inc
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Here are the pics Rich sent me yesterday right after the blowout.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
LOL, did not take long for someone to bring up Goodyear’s. Never fails to amuse me.

OP: Sorry about your blowout, could not have happened at a worse time and place I guess. I think that is the first one I have heard causing electrical damage.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
LOL, did not take long for someone to bring up Goodyear’s. Never fails to amuse me.

OP: Sorry about your blowout, could not have happened at a worse time and place I guess. I think that is the first one I have heard causing electrical damage.
Probably for good reason???? The pic of the connector shows (I believe) a marathon with virtually zero tread in the center and tread left in the outer edge. The blown tire's mate with belt separation?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, what makes you think it is a Goodyear? I see nothing that even hints at the brand in the photo and the OP did not say what kind of tire it was. If the tires are worn to the point where there is no or very little tread left, is that a problem with the tire brand or negligence on the part of the owner. Tires do not wear out over night, even Goodyear’s.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The tread pattern in the pic showing the edge tread looks like a Marathon to me...but we need better pics. That's why I used a question mark in my comment above. I am REALLY curious to see the tread on all 3 remaining tires. I would like to know if OP ran these thing to bald of if that one tire in the connector pic has a busted belt and wore it out in short order...as we've seen before.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, what makes you think it is a Goodyear? I see nothing that even hints at the brand in the photo and the OP did not say what kind of tire it was. If the tires are worn to the point where there is no or very little tread left, is that a problem with the tire brand or negligence on the part of the owner. Tires do not wear out over night, even Goodyear’s.
I agree. If the tire that blew was as bad as the one shown in the pic, it was a disaster waiting to happen. Blowouts are frequently associated with sidewall issues but a lack of tread (as it appears) certainly would cause any manufacturer's tire to blow. I had one blow on my car trailer last month and it had at least 50-60% tread left, if not more. If it had been on my travel trailer it would have caused huge damage. Tires aren't cheap but then neither are major repairs to your unit. The car trailer got 4 new tires.
Sorry about the damage and the delay it will cause in your trip.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last weekend I had a fifth wheel SOB parked next to me. Went over and was talking to the owner and could not help but notice the condition of the tires on his trailer. All four looked more like racing slicks than street tires. The tires on his tow truck did not look much better. Scary, I hope he made it back to Arkansas with out blowing out or causing an accident involving someone else.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Why?

I'm really interested in why some are so concerned with bashing the tire's (at this point yet unknown) manufacturer or Rich for his conjectured possible bad maintenance practices. This thread is about helping him solve his wiring problem. Let's have a little compassion for someone in a difficult situation. If you wish to bash tires and/or tire owners, start your own threads or use one of the many already too numerous tire bashing threads.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rich said he didn't feel the tire blow and was flagged down by someone who was passing him. He may have driven 50-100 miles on it like this.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Any word on how Rich is coping with his wiring problems?
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
WOW, lucky for Rich there wasn't more damage or worse...

I would start either with a schematic and try to trace out where the wires all go, or try to look for similar colored wires. Most seem to be color coded, so that might help. In a pinch if he can only get 2 or 3 different colored wires, I would get some wire and 'suitcase' style connectors for "EMERGENCY" repairs only. I would also label the wires and make good notes with pictures. I would do one wire at a time, and test the expected outcome.

If he can't get to an Airstream dealer/repair shop these repairs should allow him to get closer to his destination.

I'm not getting involved in the tire debate.

Rich, I wish you the best and hope the repairs can be completed quickly so that you can get back on the road.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rich got to his campsite yesterday but never got lights working. The wheel well is also broken and there were tire shavings inside the trailer. I would be concerned about electrical issues in the brakes possibly and not having any 12 v service inside.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think anybody is bashing anything or anybody. A better understanding root cause helps us all prevent future potential occurrences.
I, too, feel for Rich.
I don't have schematics for his unit...and I have found the schematics I have been able to find for my unit have been inaccurate, at best. The only thing I could offer Rich is to try and splice like colored and striped wires together with temporary patch splices....but I think he is communicating that the harness is in such a mess that he can't do that.

The only other thing I could offer is to get a long jumper to use as a test lead, get an ohmmeter and test each light socket to the ends of the wires to the rear of the snarl. Then test for running/brake/etc light voltage on the front end of the snarl and jump accordingly.

No quick answer to this manual rebuild, unfortunately.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Rich, you and I have the same trailer and I live in fear of what you are going through. I had a blow out on my old pop up due totally to my underinflating the tires. It destroyed the wheel well in the process. I was able to replace it myself but it was quite a mess. You can't believe how much dirt and dust gets into the cabin from a ripped wheel well.

I hope you get this all figured out in short order. Keep us posted.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just talked to Rich.

As of right now here is what he knows.

No lights in the trailer work other than the single one above the stove.
Stove vent works
Water pump works
No radio/dvd player
No fantastic fans

Two fuses were blown, and when new fuses were placed..they blew. There is obviously a hot touching the ground here, but Rich has no schematics. He will be on the road for the next two weeks, and is worried about plugging into AC power since he doesn't want a fire. The umbilical is giving power to the running lights.

I am going to send this to Lewster and AIRSTREAM to try and get Rich SOME kind of help while on the road. He has been a good friend for many years. If anyone can help, please contact me for his direct phone number since his email is shotty at best.

Steve