Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
Help with Bathroom Leak

Hello, Airforms,

I am a new Airstream owner -- it's my first RV (technically, it's my second, but I only owned the first one for a month so it doesn't really count!). Any who, I purchased the 2016 Sport 16 in June. We have only gone on one actual camping trip, but we camp out in it every weekend, because we enjoy it.

On to the problem -- the second weekend that we stayed in it, there was water under the dinette -- it happened on that Saturday and Sunday morning. But has never happened again.

However, about 4 or 5 times now, there has been water in the bathroom. It usually appears in the morning. About 4 times, the water was next to the rear of the toilet inbetween the door opening the the toilet. This morning, however, the water was in the corned up at the top of the toilet.

Everytime we have seen the water, we have NOT used the toilet. We only used the toilet when we went to a real campground and hooked up and there was no leaking experience.

We think that the leaking seems to occur after we use the water pump...because it doesn't leak every single time we are in the trailer, and we think it happens when we turn the water pump on. It that possible? Does anyone have any idea of how we might fix it?

I know that water damage can be costly so I really want to get to the bottom of this and take care of it. I am not especially handy so is this something I should take back to the dealer to fix? Can I take it to any Airstream authorized dealer -- my actually dealer is 6 hours away, but there is one that is only 3 hours away.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Our AS has a water line that comes from the pump area to the back of the toilet. There is a connection in the line that sometimes drips and will roll past the toilet base and down to the floor. It hasn't happened this year but we've been on city water for all of our trips. I was thinking that when the pressure in the line drops it doesn't seal as well as when the city water pressure is there. This leak is more noticeable when using the fresh water supply and pump.

Since ours isn't leaking at the moment I'm not spending any time on it other than finger tightening. Even when it does, a small towel next to the toilet stops the leak from going onto the floor.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Can't tell without being there. Was it raining??

Since it was in two locations, it MIGHT be rain. Different pitches of the trailer, might send the water to two different spots.

Or…You might have two little leaks. They might just show up when the system is pressurized for a long enough time that the little leaks will accumulate enough water to be noticed.

Paper towels can help you find the leak.

The shower wand for the toilet is a common leak spot, as people forget to deal with it while winterizing.

Another cause for the puddles could be condensation. It kinda rained in my trailer, one hot day while using the air conditioner.

Sorry…wish I had one easy answer .
Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
There are others here on the forums who have far more experience than I when dealing with AS plumbing issues. That said, it is possible that you have a leak in the Pex waterline leading to your toilet. When you turn your pump on, it pressurizes all of the water lines in your AS. The easy way to tell if there's a leak in a water line is to turn your pump on and leave it on. Keep all your faucets off. The pump will run briefly as it pressurizes your water lines, then it will stop. If there's a leak in one of your water lines, water pressure will fall and the pump will run intermittently as it restores the pressure in your water lines. You may also see the signs of leaking water lines in various areas inside your trailer. Try this the next time you use your trailer. If the pump continues to run intermittently, and you're not using your faucets to get water, you probably have a leak in one of the lines.

Because your AS is new, this would be covered under the warranty and would be repairable by any AS dealer. Even though it's an inconvenience, I would take it in for repair under warranty. You could ask your dealer if they would honor a repair made by another dealer that might be closer to your home (unlikely, but worth asking). Repair of a water line is not something that should require specialized AS knowledge.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Thank you Nomad518 and Mandolindav for your thoughts. It wasn't raining during the leaks and we haven't had to use the air conditioner yet. So, I do think it has something to do with the water pump. I will try Nomad518's suggestion and see what happenens. I will also see if I can get my dealer to honor the repair made by another dealer. I didn't even think of that as an option -- that's a great suggestion.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Our AS has a water line that comes from the pump area to the back of the toilet. There is a connection in the line that sometimes drips and will roll past the toilet base and down to the floor. It hasn't happened this year but we've been on city water for all of our trips. I was thinking that when the pressure in the line drops it doesn't seal as well as when the city water pressure is there. This leak is more noticeable when using the fresh water supply and pump.

Since ours isn't leaking at the moment I'm not spending any time on it other than finger tightening. Even when it does, a small towel next to the toilet stops the leak from going onto the floor.
Mmm. This could be what is happening in my bathroom. Thank you for the response. It's very helpful!