Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
mommythrice's Avatar
 
1966 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 53
Help with '66 window leaks

I have 4 windows leaking... and every one is leaking at the top, right-hand corner about where the window arm attaches. I've replaced the seals on all the windows, but that only seals the sides and bottom. There must be something at the top of the window that needs sealed, too.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	window leak.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	225831
__________________

__________________
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
Rolland's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 140
I put drip rails over all the widows on our 67(even though I was told by several that it wasn't necessary) but I have no leaks


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
mommythrice's Avatar
 
1966 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
I put drip rails over all the widows on our 67(even though I was told by several that it wasn't necessary) but I have no leaks


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
What's a drip rail?
__________________
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
What's a drip rail?
If you install drip rails over the windows, you ruin the looks.

If a new gasket was installed, was it placed as close to the top of the window frame as you can?

If so, let me know, and I will then tell you how to seal the hinge, which will indeed stop the leaks, provided that the correct gasket was properly installed.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
Rolland's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 140
Vintage and a couple others sell them-It is a formed piece of aluminum that you rivet and seal above each window, then the water doesn't run down on our Corning windows and leak through the hinge-I polished ours before putting them on


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
Vintage and a couple others sell them-It is a formed piece of aluminum that you rivet and seal above each window, then the water doesn't run down on our Corning windows and leak through the hinge-I polished ours before putting them on


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
The 66, 67 and 68 window leaks, are an easy fix, without installing any drip caps.

Thousands of owners will attest to that.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
mommythrice's Avatar
 
1966 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If you install drip rails over the windows, you ruin the looks.

If a new gasket was installed, was it placed as close to the top of the window frame as you can?

If so, let me know, and I will then tell you how to seal the hinge, which will indeed stop the leaks, provided that the correct gasket was properly installed.

Andy
Yes, I think we did a good job on the gaskets. The leak seems to be coming from the top/hinge. I can see it dripping from the top just next to the arm/crank/thingy. There must be some sort of sealant along the top, too. Right?
__________________
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Forrest's Avatar
 
1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 636
Images: 21
Seal the hinge

In the attached photos you will see the problem you are likely having and where to apply sealant. Remove your screen, and look at the upper left and right corners. You might have to find the correct angle to see an opening, but as in the photo light will shine through. That is where to apply sealant. The second photo shows a slight amount of sealant squeezing outside - leave that, do not wipe down or trim off. That should take care, provided as Andy said, your gaskets go all the way up to the top of the window casing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apply sealant here, c.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	225838   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	225839  

__________________
Forrest
Out for coffee!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
Yes, I think we did a good job on the gaskets. The leak seems to be coming from the top/hinge. I can see it dripping from the top just next to the arm/crank/thingy. There must be some sort of sealant along the top, too. Right?
The issue then is the hinge itself, which wears in time.

The fix is easy.

You will have to open and close each window, several times, so be prepared.

Clean the outside of the hinge, very well.

Open the window as far as you can.

Clean the backside of the hinge, very well.

Make sure that the hinge is completely dry.

Open and close the window to make sure it's dry.

Then with the window open, apply a bead of clear silicone sealer the entire length of the hinge from the backside.

Close the window.

Apply some silicone sealer on the entire length of the outside of the hinge.

Do not allow the sealer to set.

Open and close the window every 30 to 45 seconds, until the silicone has cured.

Scrape off the excess silicone.

What you have done it compensated for the wear within the hinge.

Try this on one window, so that you get the feel of how easy this is to do.

After a day or two, water test that window, and report back to this Forums the results, that I assure you will be very positive. If not, then the attention should be placed back on the gasket.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
ALANSD's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,462
I used this fix and it worked on my 66 for two years, then had to be redone. Opening and closing the windows many times causes the drips to return. Good tip on removing the screen too...

I added a drip cap over my front window, I like the looks of it.
__________________
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
mommythrice's Avatar
 
1966 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 53
I wondered if someone was going to use the "S" word, but I didn't expect it from an expert. My husband will be thrilled. He's just been dying to use silicone on that Airstream somewhere!

Will give it a try when the rain stops and we dry out a little. Thanks for the help!
__________________
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I used this fix and it worked on my 66 for two years, then had to be redone. Opening and closing the windows many times causes the drips to return. Good tip on removing the screen too...

I added a drip cap over my front window, I like the looks of it.
Two years is not bad.

That's better than some things.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
I wondered if someone was going to use the "S" word, but I didn't expect it from an expert. My husband will be thrilled. He's just been dying to use silicone on that Airstream somewhere!

Will give it a try when the rain stops and we dry out a little. Thanks for the help!
"S"ilicone sealer is not always bad to use.

But it makes a huge difference of where and how it's used.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
mommythrice's Avatar
 
1966 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I used this fix and it worked on my 66 for two years, then had to be redone. Opening and closing the windows many times causes the drips to return. Good tip on removing the screen too...

I added a drip cap over my front window, I like the looks of it.
When you went back to re-do it, did you remove the old silicone first?

I would consider a drip cap over that front window only. I've considered adding a Lexan window guard at some point, but I don't want too much going on at the front of the trailer. It looks so nice and sleek right now.
__________________

__________________
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! kitchen window leaks Jcashcollect Windows & Screens 4 06-23-2011 11:41 AM
Leaks, Leaks and more leaks Jim in Pima Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 5 12-12-2007 12:23 PM
Leaks, and leaks again danesh Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 16 09-08-2007 09:32 PM
Leaks, leaks, leaks jeffnjen30 Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 8 08-28-2007 12:03 AM
leaks leaks leaks Globie64 Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 10 12-31-2005 06:49 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.