Old 11-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
If the problem area has its own manufacturer's warranty, use it. We went down that road and had great experience with the manufacturer standing behind the warranty on our furnace and refrigerator. If it is AS specific, then you have no choice.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
any service that is a/s specific has to be done at a/s flat rate . no discussion.
if problem is not a/s specific the appl manufacturer has their own flat rate .
I have always found a/s to be fair with my shop in the past and as such don't know why your local has a problem ? I'm not a dealer but do warr work for them , have to call for ok , this may be the problem for your local as can take time ?
CrestonRV: I think you're on to something. What's interesting is that I've gotten three results from the Atlanta-area RV shops. (1) No, we don't work on Airstreams [no explanation, not willing to discuss, just no no no] (2) We will work on Airstreams if we have to, but we're not working for their rates, won't submit paperwork to them and don't want to deal with them and (3) Yes, glad to.

Given that I'm a loyal customer of Shop #1--I was a loyal customer of Shop #1--I found that particularly bizarre. Shop #2 lead to my question about whether AS is just difficult to work with on repairs. Of course we're going to be using Shop #3.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It helped.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Sanders rv in Alachua, fl. Is about 300 miles south on I75. Been an AS dealer for years. Give them a call with your problems.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
any service that is a/s specific has to be done at a/s flat rate . no discussion.
if problem is not a/s specific the appl manufacturer has their own flat rate .
I have always found a/s to be fair with my shop in the past and as such don't know why your local has a problem ? I'm not a dealer but do warr work for them , have to call for ok , this may be the problem for your local as can take time ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
CrestonRV: I think you're on to something. What's interesting is that I've gotten three results from the Atlanta-area RV shops. (1) No, we don't work on Airstreams [no explanation, not willing to discuss, just no no no] (2) We will work on Airstreams if we have to, but we're not working for their rates, won't submit paperwork to them and don't want to deal with them and (3) Yes, glad to.

Given that I'm a loyal customer of Shop #1--I was a loyal customer of Shop #1--I found that particularly bizarre. Shop #2 lead to my question about whether AS is just difficult to work with on repairs. Of course we're going to be using Shop #3.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It helped.
To the best of my knowledge most if not all RV manufacturers require the repair shop to contact the manufacturer prior to performing warranty work. Some manufacturers are more responsive than others. I have friends with a variety of units, one company takes weeks to respond to requests for warranty work. Another all it takes is a quick phone call. YMMV

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Couple of folks asked what you need fixed. If it is not an 'aftermarket' product like the store, fridge, A/C then why not simply go back to Jackson Center on a road trip and get the work done at the factory?
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
When I bought my 78 AS it needed plumbing work and some electrical so I took it to a big RV place 2 miles from my house,,,,,$4500.00 later almost all the repairs were not working the plumbing was leaking and some of the switches were hooked up wrong. Over 90% of the bill was labour.
Now I take it to CanAM RV a 4 hr drive from my house. Most of the work had to be redone so if you have to take your AS a days drive from your house I'd say do it some AS dealers have parking and you could stay over. Taking an AS to a rv repair place could be just throwing your money away.