Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Help w/replacing toilet & adjusting oven in '66 Ambassador

(1)The old toilet is pretty yucky. I have her at an RV shop now & the "exact replacement " toilet doesn't fit perfectly. Apparently, the new ones are more oval than round. Will need to trim about 1/2" front/back and find some way to fill 1/2" on the sides.

I'm not really crazy about the idea of cutting into my pretty turquoise bath. Any suggestions?

(2) Got gas leaks repaired and system pressure tested and finally took her out camping. The stove works great, but when we fired up the oven we had 5" flames! Is there an easy way to adjust the oven? Hubby has looked through the original manual & it doesn't give instructions.

Dealer wants $250 to pull the oven & make adjustments. Does the oven need to come out? Is this a DIY job?

Thanks,
Tracie
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Photo of the bath...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath new.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	230508
Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Any real (as in AGA certified) gas technician should be able to adjust your oven flames without having to pull the entire stove/oven from the AS. Some of the old burners, though, may not be available.

I originally thought my oven was not working properly, but a friend who is a certified master gas technician checked it and explained that it worked OK. He has the tools and knowledge to, if necessary, change or drill out orfices. If the flame is much larger than it should be, that would indicate that the burner (which should have a row of small holes for the row of small flames) likely has been rusted out and hence the large hole gives a large flame. In such a case, you would need to replace the burner tube. Some, like in my '87 Excella, may not be readily available.

Let us know how you make out with this issue. Photos would also help.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. Need to start w/AS shop to see if they have someone that's a gas tech. It may be that the advisor just doesn't know.

Still looking at toilets. I found this ceramic toilet at VTS. It has a nice review w/photos of it installed in a fiberglass bench like mine. But - for the life of me - I don't see how to flush it in that installation. It is a foot-flush model.

I'm almost ready to just get the plastic replacement & cut 1/2" front/back and install trim to cover the 1/2" gap on the sides. I was just hoping there was a better solution. It's still at the shop and I need to let them know fairly quickly.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Tracie, I responded to your pm, but now that I see it, we have different toilets. Mine always had a flush pedal in front. As far as the trim and the shape, you may be able to find some way to create an accent trim that looks right. There are some things out there that might work - I believe I've seen some adhesive backed chrome trim that might work. a mild application with a heat gun helps a lot of plastics bend appropriately. My oven slid right out with only 4 screws. As far as adjustment, there may be some other adjustments that can be made. You can do a search for magic chef oven adjustment. I believe TouringDan had a good primer on ovens : http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...mer-82799.html
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
in the preamble of the US Constitution - a goal was

... to form a more perfect union...

The perfect replacement toilet - isn't. That doesn't mean there is NO more perfect union, it just means you've got to look.... hard, or motivate the shop forcefully. They ordered whatever.... your problem that it's not right. Trace the perfect outline, and measure the height and go to your local RV Superstore with the drawing and height.

Also consider rebuilding the current toilet if it's porcelain (if plastic NO). Hard to find parts may actually exist. Do use the "google search" option within this forum. A few have reported triumph in getting ancient models upgraded even adapting current parts. Yes you gotta love bleach to even think of getting hands on with an old toilet, but what the heck. Nothing a hazmat suit won't protect against!

Paula