Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
Help! Too large to get through door....

Hi folks!

Here's one for you, I have a stove and fridge that I need to get into my AS, but they're too big to get in through the door...

Anyone ever cut out the floor or some other way? (Take off the skin??).

I may be grasping at straws here...

V.
mrsdinapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdinapoli View Post
Hi folks!

Here's one for you, I have a stove and fridge that I need to get into my AS, but they're too big to get in through the door...

V.
Sounds like your wanting to install some home type appliances.

If your going to install a home type gas stove in the trailer, please understand that it will not work the same as it did in a home.

Natural gas appliances must have the orifices changed if you want them to correctly work on LPG.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdinapoli View Post
Hi folks!

V.
Cutting the door frame and/or removing some inside and outside metal, is a task that while not impossible, is very difficult to pull off.

If you cut the door area, it's doubtful that the door would ever work properly again.

What is it your trying to accomplish??

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
Oh my!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
measurements

Could you give a few more details? How big is the door to your trailer? What are the dimensions of the fridge? Is it possible to take the door of the fridge off of its hinges and get it in there sideways? Back window might also be another way to get it in. Is it an RV fridge or are we talking about a residential type fridge? Pictures would be very helpful.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Could you give a few more details? How big is the door to your trailer? What are the dimensions of the fridge? Is it possible to take the door of the fridge off of its hinges and get it in there sideways? Back window might also be another way to get it in. Is it an RV fridge or are we talking about a residential type fridge? Pictures would be very helpful.
Yes, windows can be removed. Of course check the measurements first to make sure it will fit. If not, return them or put them up for sale.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The easiest way....get the proper replacements.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Every single item of furniture, cabinetry or appliance you see in an Airstream came in through the door. Thus, most RV industry replacement appliances would be able to enter the same way.

Installing non-RV appliances? Even if intending to use for plug-in camping only, watch weights of your appliances. Pay attention to side to side balance, fore and aft location (keep close to or forward of the axles), and the trailer payload capacity. There are a number of ways to discuss roadworthiness of any such arrangment. You wouldn't have to concern yourself with that so much if you were planning on a fixed site camper or poolside cabana. You aren't saying that you are interested in a commercial business inside an Airstream.

Re-purposed home appliances can be had cheaply. Competent disassembly of an Airstream to install affordable appliances can end up costing more than buying real RV appliances.

See where this goes? Too many directions... We need more data, please.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Time for a shell off renovation
Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
an airstream convertible
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Shell-off isn't far from the truth! Those had better be a long lasting fridge & stove! Here at the forum we have seen some larger-than-dorm fridges installed when a Dometic poops out. I'm thinking on the order of 10-12 cu ft or so. They weren't large. But this does mess with the value of an Airstream. You're going to lose the difference when you sell. Might as well put $$ into it and appreciate the value of good equipment yourself. An Airstream doesn't have the 24' counter depths that match up with domestic appliances.

I started affirming the shell-off idea. The distance between the ribs (rivet lines) is roughly equal to the width of the door. The door is designed to fit within the average rib spacing. So you really can't go in through the wall any better than you could the door.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
_

. , .
is this the same trailer that's already had the floor removed with a saws all...

and is being used as a uhaul?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-ca-60449.html

just cut the rear end open, like a loaf of bread and roll in the booty !

happy travels
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Perhaps the poster intends only to transport them rather than install them.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Time for a shell off renovation
Wab, we're 99% there, so why don't we go all the way, eh? You might have called my bluff. Although, convertible sounds chic.

Sorry, I'm not giving enough background.

It's not RV equipment, it's commercial. It's been retooled for propane. My husband is a professional chef, I know it sounds like we're trying to meld loves that should never meet.

Thanks all for humoring me, I thought I'd stump everyone but the suggestions have been brilliant thus far!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
is this the same trailer that's already had the floor removed with a saws all...

and is being used as a uhaul?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-ca-60449.html

just cut the rear end open, like a loaf of bread and roll in the booty !

happy travels
2air'
Yes! We were just going to take the whole thing down to California and work on it there (sun vs. rain), but ultimately they were going to be used in the Airstream.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
But this does mess with the value of an Airstream. You're going to lose the difference when you sell. Might as well put $$ into it and appreciate the value of good equipment yourself.
The re-sell value is less relevant in our case. The interior was irretrievable, and we wanted absolute surety that there was no mold, or freeloading rodents/bugs then original interior can afford.

Quote:
An Airstream doesn't have the 24' counter depths that match up with domestic appliances.
We're working with a blank slate because we are not confined to the original layout. However, that's a very good point.

Quote:
I started affirming the shell-off idea. The distance between the ribs (rivet lines) is roughly equal to the width of the door. The door is designed to fit within the average rib spacing. So you really can't go in through the wall any better than you could the door.
Excellent point!! So we'd have to cut out ribs...

I'm looking for the paper I wrote the dimensions of the equipment on... Also, I'm going to post some photos, and video shortly.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
_

. , .
ok, so the 'stream will eventually be a commercial kitchen/food thing?

or will those appliances just be part of the air-hut once it is livable?

lots of issues.

commercial kitchen redos are very involved.

power, water, 3 sinks, the weight, the ventilation, the windows, the CODEs and so on...

all doable but not anything like the typical rv rehab, EVEN as a shell off restoration.

now about those applicances, here's a true story.

a friend wanted to start a coffee roasting business years ago,

so he ordered this expensive large heavy roasting machine from the FINEST italian maker of these things...

months passed and thousands of dollars later the machine arrived.

the problem was it was MASSIVE and would not fit into ANY door on his house.

and there was almost NO way to open up the house enough to get this thing into his basement...

so he hired a welder/boilermaker who proceeded to CUT this expensive hand built custom roasting machine into 2 pieces...

btw there were only 2 or 3 of these machines anywhere outside of italy at the time.

once the 2 pieces were in the basement the welder/boilermaker put it back together.

and a premium speciality roaster was born.

roasting began and now, years later this machine was the beginning of the 2nd largest coffee roasting company in the state...

(folgers is the largest)

of course they now have a large factory building with many roasters but the original machine is STILL in the family house...

so maybe u should consider wacking the stove in 2, IF u are truely committed...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Deconstruct the appliances. Will the door come off? Compressor and box off, get it in and then put back together. Split the case on the refrig. REassemble with a seam in the back? Appliances can usually be taken apart and reassembled more easily than the Airstream.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Are we talking a pro stove? If it's not purchased yet, how about separate wall oven & cooktop? They are both available in professional styles & already propane usable. I used to work for a wholesale kitchen distributor. Many of the "professional" appliances we sold were not UL approved for commercial use. (Wolf, Thermador, Bocuse)

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Rough crowd... Although the convertible idea has me intrigued. I wonder if ZipDee could make a giant retractible soft top. Hrmmm, maybe better to contact Jeep for that job?
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door size