Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Man, you are on the move!

I gotta smile everytime I catch up on this thread.

Just over two weeks and look how far you've fallen into the aluminum spiral. I love it! One thing leads to another: "free" vintage = resto = Excella to use "now" = new TV. Navy, you are driven! No one could ever call you a slug on a log.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #162
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Wallet Restoration Rally??????

There is a pleasure in being mad that only madmen know!!! I got up this morning and looked out in my driveway, two airstreams, three pickups (remember the old ford I drove back like an idiot from the original overlander site, and two tundras. I thought, what were you thinking. Now I am giving the ford away to a very deserving fellow, going to try to sell my dinged up tundra, make up my mind what I am going to do with Eugene after attending the restoration rally in New Mexico. Sure hope they have some bankers I can talk to out there. Are there any wallet restoration rally's coming up?????
navyeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
aluminum tape repair

Now the tape repair makes sense. Acutally may simplify things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	78550   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	78551  

Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #164
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Thumbs up Driveway thinning out

Cleaned and detailed the 2002 Tundra yesterday, took some pics and listed in on Craigslist at what I thought was a fair price. Sold it an hour later to a fellow who begged me to hold it for him from Atlanta till tomorrow. Have another fellow who wants it if he doesnt show up. Hope to get the old Ford truck to its new owner today. got the duct tape ready for the Led Zeppelin. I am thinking that idea of taping the whole trailer is not a bad one. could always find it at the rallys and if I get that shiny aluminum tape would be less expensive that polishing it. Read here about a fellow who put 6k into a polish job he did himself. ( he did hire the labor). I am liking ugly dull more and more.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
End of Eugene

Went to the great FCU restoration rally and saw some beautiful vintage airstreams. I met a lot of nice people. Wife did not like the vintage trailers due to the lack of windows. She is quite Clastrophobic. I am going to sell the Overlander and fix up the excella, sure cant afford to restore two trailers. I found that the 91 excella is going to take some work also. I was going to put a laminate floor in it and when I took all the forward furniture and cabinets out of it and removed the carpet found the entire front floor was wet. The floor had been repaired, I think with marine plywood forward as it was not rotted yet, but apparently the leaks were never addressed. Have a hot lamp on it now drying it out and will be checking for leaks and reapplying vulkem for a while. Will have to get all these leaks addressed before redoing the floor. Any good tricks for removing old vulkem. Whoever tried to seal this thing up did it like a kid fingerpainting. It is spread everywhere. Seems like I read on a search here to scrape it and use xylene for the remnant, then reseal. I have a ton to remove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	asr 001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	80219  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
WD40 seems to work mysteriously well. A couple of minutes or longer and the goop is like milkshake, just wipe away and clean up.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Navyeod,
Sorry to hear about you having to give up Eugene and that you struck water in your Leadzilla. My wife suffers from the same problem as yours when it comes to vintage Airstreams...not enough windows, so my battle to aquire a vintage Airstream is a constant uphill battle.

As for your sealing the leaks on Leadzilla...After you get the floor dry and the old Vulkem cleaned up you may want to look at using Acryl-R and Parbond instead of / in addition to the Vulkem. The Acryl-R and Parrbond have better wicking abilities for getting between panels and trim pieces and panels.

Here are some links to the products and a how to video from Out of Doors Mart...

Acryl-R Applicator
Acryl-R
Parbond - Silver
Parbond Application Video

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I hope you find a good home for Eugene.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So sorry to hear about Eugene, if I had the space I'd probably buy him myself, that is one cool trailer. You should be able to find a buyer, and perhaps even from this very community.

Agree with truck, WD40 is the wonder-compound when it comes to that specific clean-up.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #169
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I am very sorry to hear of your decision - its a very nice trailer with great family history -

I'm a little concerned about the wetness of the new trailer - drying out the floor is one thing, that insulation is like a huge sponge and not sure you will be able to dry that out very well.

I sure enjoyed meeting you in Albuq - sorry we did not get to spend more time together - the only regret I have doing these rallies is I don't get as much time to visit as I would like to.

We really enjoyed your seminar on the "new method" of skin repair - sure gives a new meaning to a complex task.
Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #170
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Bummer! I dunno, I think it might lighten up after being painted and taking down some of those partitions.. .but I know it's important for ALL parts of the family to be happy. Perhaps you could keep working on it as a hobby... I know I love just tinkering on my '63.

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Eugene

I sure labored with the decision. If it was up to me I would just use the excella till I restored the Overlander. I really like the reduced weight. Taking the excella apart, it looks like weight was not a consideration when it was designed. The floor is chipboard, the cabinets are formica covered particle board. I could not believe how heavy the two small tables were up forward. And the gaucho. I love the interior design of the trailer though, and love the generous use of windows. They are beautiful trailers and the interior will look nice when finished. Taking all the fabric wall coverings and gaucho and putting leather on it all. Changing the hardware to more of a mission look and using a mission theme throughout the trailer. Removed all the carpet from the rear of the trailer this afternoon and found no more moisture, but have not gotten the carpet out from under the beds yet. I guess i will take the bed frames out and pull the interior panels and address the rear dents. Its amazing how you start out to do a little and the project grows geometrically. I put the ovelander up on craigslist and will put it on these classifieds also. Hope I can find someone who will restore it, it will make a great trailer. Mary Anne loved her father, but told me he would be just fine with me having the newer trailer . Truckasaurus thanks much for the wd-40 tip. It really works great. I have a ton of recaulking to do, I sure found a ton of areas where it could be leaking. I am just going to remove and recaulk everything. Ken, I told my wife I dont think anyone could have been a more gracious host than you. I hope you and marc wont ban me from the vintage group. Those trailers sure stole my heart. david
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Naaaw - once vintage always vintage at heart! You are more than welcome anytime - in fact I sure hope you can make it back next year - or even yank the "new" trailer to balloon fiesta!

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #173
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Navyeod,

As for your sealing the leaks on Leadzilla...After you get the floor dry and the old Vulkem cleaned up you may want to look at using Acryl-R and Parbond instead of / in addition to the Vulkem. The Acryl-R and Parrbond have better wicking abilities for getting between panels and trim pieces and panels.

Here are some links to the products and a how to video from Out of Doors Mart...

Acryl-R Applicator
Acryl-R
Parbond - Silver
Parbond Application Video

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I hope you find a good home for Eugene.
Deitz, thanks. Ordered the applicator and the acryl-r. Stuff sounds great. Thanks for the info. That brings my total to around 36k for the Alumninitis outbreak and yet to go camping. And people worry about swine flu. Is there a vaccine for this affliction. Soon I am going to put up those awnings in my driveway and just camp. But first have to get a 30 amp service to get the ac going, awaiting a call back on a hensley hitch, need air bags for my Tundra to keep the rear end level....... But the incredible thing, my wife is behind it all. What we guys do to please our wives.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
David, I too was sad to hear you are selling Eugene. I was looking forward to sharing stories with you as we both dumped thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into restoring our Overlanders, but it sounds like you will have plenty to do on Leadzilla in any case. I really enjoy reading your posts. Keep em coming.

Norm
Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #175
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
collanderq

Rained last night. Figured out that what I bought was an aluminum collander. Actually wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Today is marked for removing the rear beds, the night stand, and getting the rest of the carpet up and seeing the rear subfloor. Hope to remove the interior panels and get to the dents in old Led. Will also try to take the rock guards off the front and see what is underneath. The heat lamp is getting the interior to over 100 degrees. So hope this will deal with the insulation sponge. The musty smell is gone. Took the lower wall fabric liners and gaucho to the upholstery place yesterday afternoon. Also took the 9 leather hides from ebay (640.00) Met a Wonderful Japanese woman in her 60's with arms on her like a blacksmith. Husband was a retired Seebee, we shared some stories. One great thing about all these projects it brings you in contact with some interesting people. May be the best part. Norm, I will be watching your retsoration of the Captain and thinking what might have been. Looking more and more like I have a restoration on my hands and not a remodel.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
David, I too was sad to hear you are selling Eugene. I was looking forward to sharing stories with you as we both dumped thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into restoring our Overlanders, but it sounds like you will have plenty to do on Leadzilla in any case. I really enjoy reading your posts. Keep em coming.

Norm

I think its more like crying in your beer... been there done that.... and now I can hardly afford the beer....

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #177
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Bottom of the pit

Think I found the bottom of this pit this morning. Gutted the rear bedroom and the floor had been replaced with marine plywood and was dry, except for where there was a leak in the plumbing where the outside water supply hose comes in. I then broke it from the inside tearing the carpet out, so it is going to be replaced. I will attach some pics, where could I find this part. I was sure dreading seeing what was under the rear carpet with what I had found forward.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ar1 008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	80298   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar1 009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	80299  

Name:	ar1 010.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	80300  
Old 05-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #178
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Smile Eugene departure

Listed Eugene on Craigslist and got a lot of interest. A nice young fellow from Santa Rosa Beach thought it might be just what he was looking for. I sent him this Thread URL and sent him some pics. He traveled up yesterday and took the Overlander back to Santa Rosa, Florida (look out moosetags) . He will be making a bar out of it at Seaside resort, Florida. Says he will be serving the drinks from it by the 4th of July there. The fact that I had removed the interior was a plus for him. Apparently they have several vintage airstreams there being used as concession stands. I had to shake my head at Eugene the trailer. With his alcoholic history he will once again have the drinks pouring through him. He also couldnt stay away from Florida and the water. I could barely keep him in Alabama for three months. My wife loved the outcome. Ironically it will be only a few miles from Where My wifes father had built a modest beach home and spent many great years there with his family. If anyone wants the cabinet work from the Overlander, I will be glad to give it to them. I have given away the stove/oven, heater, and water heater. Will probably try to sell the light fixtures, tub, and toilet, on ebay or use at a swap shop at future rally's. As far as the 91 Exella, the upholster has finished the gaucho and wall trim and I will pick that up Monday. Will get started on sealing seams, fixing dents, treating the existing floor with epoxy and putting a new floor in. Will add pics as I go. I also have a drink coming from the new owner in July when the trailer is finished. I will send some pics of the vintage trailers down there and Eugenes next resting place. I look forward to seeing him getting some use after all these years and also seeing him polished up like the diamond he is.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #179
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
David,

I'm glad to see that Eugene will live on. Maybe at next year's Can Opener Rally in January at Top Sail State Park we all can go have a drink at Eugene's.

There was a forums member looking for a tub, she posted a comment on my Profile page, maybe she still needs it, I'll check into it if it's OK.

Good luck with your new project.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #180
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Drink from Eugene

Rick, its a deal. I look forward to it. No problem sending the tub info. A fellow from Montgomery who buys and sells trailers bought the 75 GT, after I gave him the lead, that removes the temptation from both of us.