Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyeod View Post
Looked at the 63 overlander and it is in a lot better condition than mine, but my wife wants a total restoration updated Airstream, so I passed on it. It is listed in Montgomery Alabama craigslist. Very trailerable condtion. Some rust on the frame axles but also has some of the original paint. Inside has been painted. Owner is really a nice fellow and very forthright in describing the condition. If I have to take one completely apart will stick with the 56? Hope to get down again to see it this week and try to make some more decisions. See the complete axle assy will cost me 750 plus shipping plus I need wheels and tires. If I going to build from frame up may just have another frame built. Got the right people around here to do it and for a reasonable price. david
David,

PLease send me a PM and I can help you with getting the parts you need.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
decision

Drove down to the Overlander today with the mindset to forget about it, clean it up, take some pictures, sell it, and buy a 78 31 airstream not too far from here. Took some tools to do a little recon knowing that with a little more info it would be a no brainer walking away from this one. This history on this trailer is it has been in one family for a long time. First one brother alcoholic lived and died in it, then a second alcoholic brother lived and died in it. It was then bought by another brother, my father in-law who was the finest husband and father I have ever known . When I gave his Eulogy, the funeral director cried and he did not know him. I have never known a man who gave so much with so little gratitude. He bought this for a son with a mental illness to live in. In 40 years the Airstream had no one in it who would lift a hand to improve it or maintain it. When I got there it was filled with tons of storage junk. I put some pb blaster on the wheel lugs when I got there hoping that I could get the lug nuts off later. As I started emptying the drawers noticed how they were dovetailed. I had taken some WD 40 down hoping the windows would open, and after a while decided to try the windows before the wd 40 treatment, 1st one worked and so did the rest, with nothing after at least 10 years without being touched. I felt my self getting sucked in more and more by this trailer. After an hour or so emptying junk, burning waste; decided to try the wheel nuts and they broke loose and came off without a problem. Getting sucked in farther. I really didnt want my wife to see this thing inside before I got all the junk out of it, ( really didnt want her to nix the deal at this point) she shows up and goes inside; then left without a word. Later she came back and said, "you know I like the layout, I see some potential" The vacuum getting worse. Decided to try to take the wheels off if I could. I jacked up the axle (didn't) break and got the wheels off without a hitch. It is getting unmerciful, the sting. I finished emptying the trailer getting the non original frig out and everything in the cabinets. I then pulled up some of the floor repair and saw the frame looked pretty good, nothing like the exposed frame. But finally when finished and I am thinking more and more, I can bring this thing back, my wife brings out an american flag her father flew over his modest beach home and was so proud of. He was a ww2 vet, and died years later from radiation exposure he got from removing radioactive waste from a cyclotron that the Japanese were using to try to create a nuclear bomb before we did (never heard of that in history before I met her dad) do a google search. Done deal after the flag. Lord willing this one will roll again. Have the wheels back home with me tonight. Hope I can figure out how to post the pics I took today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 002.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	76768   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	76769  

Name:	as1 004.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	570.1 KB
ID:	76770   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 006.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	76771  

navyeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
overlander

the serial number I posted was wrong (getting old) it was 7572 not 72XX
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
6 hours of work

I sure was hoping I could outgrow this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as1 008.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	590.3 KB
ID:	76772   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 010.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	76773  

Name:	as1 015.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	76774   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 027.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	76775  

Name:	as1 026.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	76776   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 019.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	76777  

Name:	as1 021.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	76778   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1 012.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	76779  

Name:	as1 014.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	76780  
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
I think there's important family history with this Airstream. Your father-in-law must have been a very good man and bringing this trailer back to life will mean so much to you & your wife because of him.

Is that a folding Leg-O-Matic chair in the top left picture lying on it's back outside of the trailer to the right? If so, save it, I bet it came with the trailer new.

There is no cure for Aluminitis................
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
chair

Rick. Did you call about the 21??? What an eye you have for detail. I looked at that chair and told my wife "this is a really great chair" she told me you will never fix it, throw it away. ( I didnt) put it in the barn. I will sure go pic it up next trip when I bring the trailer to its new home. Thanks much. david
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyeod View Post
Rick. Did you call about the 21??? What an eye you have for detail. I looked at that chair and told my wife "this is a really great chair" she told me you will never fix it, throw it away. ( I didnt) put it in the barn. I will sure go pic it up next trip when I bring the trailer to its new home. Thanks much. david
David, I did call, I'm going to look at it Sunday, thank you for the lead. Also, there may have been more than one chair. My '61 Overlander came with a folding table to use for eating, I purchased a couple of Leg-O-Matic chairs from ebay to go with the table.

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Hi David
Looks like you are in a heap o' trouble with that little voice in your head telling you to walk away...just walk away.......but you keep finding more and more possiblilities and things to love about this trailer.

I can understand why as your story in post #22 tells so well. This trailer has a incredible family history...maybe not one I would tell to a future buyer, but there could be a very happy ending here.

Thanks for the photos. I also have been looking at them way too long and searching for details as to its past life and future possibilities. It is a very interesting model with great potential in my opinion.

I own a 1962 and there are many things that were still the same after all those years. Floorplan, hardware, counters very much the same.

Anyway, I understand why you are being pulled into this project. As they say, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Mystery over on the year model I have, it is a 1958.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup, looks like a 58 to me.

I think it's a fantastic trailer. Thank you very much for sharing the family history. You're in for an enormous project, but there is actually a lot to work with there.

Thanks for sharing with us, and please continue to do so, as you work through your Major Renovation.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You'll find frame needing replacement but also be surprised by how much is good as new. Made from real US Steel. Looks like the layout is the same as my 59 before I redesigned. You are about to join the rather exclusive Full Monty Club. The only tricky part will be the hidden rivets when you take the shell off and getting the inside end caps back on. Everything else is just time and money. I eliminated the window over the sink to change the inside layout. Do not throw anything away thinking you can get a new one until you have the new one in hand, ie, window hardware. Oh there is a trick to taking the window pane's out of the frame, look for little screws on the top in the channel. Good luck.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
David,

I am so relieved that you decided to do it! Congrats!! Just know this...it can be a very slippery slope into full blown aluminitis.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
58 overlander

You guys pray for me. On my way tomorrow with my new wheels and tires to retrieve the Overlander. got a set of trailer lights to hook up to the bumper, also have it registered and with its own new tag after 20 years. Got to pull the hubs and grease the bearings put the new wheels on and see if the coupler even works. Then have to cut all the overgrowth and new trees out of the way so I can get it out. Lots of growth has taken place this last two decades. If all checks out will tow it back the 200 miles to auburn at daybreak Sunday. Have a lot of work to do this weekend.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Navyeod, Use a liberal amount of penetrating spray on the coupler mechanism. If it is frozen (with rust) tap it lightly with a hammer from above and below as you try to operate it. This coupler fits a 2 inch ball. I have "unstuck" at least 3 couplers on trailers that are on late 40's era units. This coupler is sort of unusual in the way that the ball is not completely hidden when you are "hooked up." If in doubt, make a visual observation that the "jaws" of the lock are secure around the hitch ball.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I second that recommendation... I helped a forums member get her 50's Overlander get going... it's tongue was in the dirt for YEARS... that coupler didn't seem to want to budge... oil, and hits from underneath got it going...
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Walk away

Got to the AS Friday, coupler wouldnt budge with PB Blaster and hammer, WD 40 even after a couple of hours. The Aluminum wheels I got for it didnt have the right size lug nuts, where the frame outriggers came into coupler looked too rusted to really pull it. Went to our motel room, expensive and disappointing and my wife and I talked about the Overlander and told her I am not going to fool with it. Had to do a lot of work around the inlaws old home site and burn a bunch of trash and kept looking and trying to figure out how to move that AS. Had to go do some running around and decide to see if I could find some bullet shaped lug nuts the right size. Found 4 total at pep boys. Decided to put the wheels on with two each just to get the trailer off the blocks. Then decided to put a jack under the coupler and see if it would support the weight. It did so . Couldnt stand it, Cut a path to get it out by removing trees and overhanging branches. Got my wife to watch the rear as I tried to move the trailer and get it into a position where I could move it out to the street later. By this time several strangers had assembled to watch. Got the trailer partially moved and the AS came uncoupled. My guess from the Drivers seat was the frame broke. got out and the coupler nd frame were intact and were into the ground. Tryed to find a lever I could use to raise the coupler back to my hitch, but no luck. Decide to see how much weight was on the tongue and to my surprise I could lift it by myself. Not one of the bystanders offered help. I got my wife to back the truck under the coupler and secured it. Tested it better this time and got the trailer just where I wanted it. Thought it would be nice to move this to the front of the house where it is open and I would not have to worry about people who were parking on the lot obstructing my getaway. The AS was obstructed till fortunately a couple got in their car and left. I put the lug nuts that were original on the rims for some insurance and pulled it to the front of the house. Was surprised how light it felt and how sweet it pulled with the single axle. I then finished all the other work I had to do around the home site and decided to come get it another day. Left it out in the open and looking good on those new wheels. I had someone ask me if I wanted to sell it within an hour. Oh btw, the coupler freed up this morning, with some more PB blaster and hammer work. That is when i decided I will see about putting the wheels under it. I have done a ton of tough restorations in the past but never have I had one I tried to walk Away from so often. I think I can trailer this thing home as is. We'll see. Today, got an 83 ford pickup running that had been sitting for two years, Decided I was going to take a chance and see if I could drive it home, two hundred miles. Put some air in the tires and checked all the fluids, let it run for a while to see if It got hot, The auto trans was really struggling to shift, but made it all the way home. (is that a sign). "there is a pleasure in being mad, that only madmen know".
Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Woo Hoo! Don't give up... it's talking to you.. (or someone is!). So when's the next trip back, tomorrow?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Sounds like a rough day, David, but you did make some real progress.

My 57 had been sitting on an island for around 35 years. New wheels and tires and she pulled home just fine.

I'm thinking your next effort will get her home.

cheers,
steve
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Best Start Even

David,

I think this thread has the best start of any thread on the forums. I looked at the Globetrotter Sunday & I think it's been calling me too! You'll find this kinda funny, I'm sitting here with my left knee bandaged after having arthroscopic surgery yesterday-by an Auburn grad-thinking about that Globetrotter while wife tells me that we don't need it. Of course, my daughters & son-in-laws want me to get it.

Good luck with your Odyssey.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Rick, My thoughts Friday night, "go get that GT" and I could use the 425 I spent on wheels /tires on it. But it was a bit small for us and I thought I still would have to get under that belly pan and look at that frame. All these restorations I see have not addressed the frame. My gut tells me the 58 will make back as is. Logic.I know doesnt tell you that. The Bible tells you "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight" I will tell you all this, if I had believed this at 17 my life would have been a whole lot different and eternally better.