Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow - its really good thing you are a MD - Aluminitus is something that is very difficult to cure.......In fact no known cure other than some relief whenever you aquire another aluminum trailer.... but if then its only temporary relief -

Congratulations!!!

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Leadzilla

Where do they store the Lead in these Excello's? How do they measure them, this 29 is 40 feet longer, I know, than the Overlander. Got Eugene moved to the frame man's place and got Leadzilla down the perilous plunging driveway and into Eugenes place. Had to take the bike rack off to keep it from dragging. It will be up for sale or swap at a rally sometime. While taking the bike rack off noticed a hidden key holder. Came in handy when I couldnt get the door open. I guess during the ride the dead bolt slipped a little and caught the door. Every Key was inside the trailer except the one that was in the holder. Sure enough it was the one I needed, Thanks Lord. Can't wait to try her camping and my wife is equally excited. Hid an extension cord out to Gonzilla and got her hooked up. Sprayed some OSPHO on all the exposed rust areas and they were not bad. Will wire brush and paint later. How tough is this panel going to be to replace. Sure doenst look overwhelming after fooling with Eugene these last three weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	excello 004.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	522.9 KB
ID:	78282   Click image for larger version

Name:	excello 008.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	522.9 KB
ID:	78283  

Name:	excello 011.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	78284   Click image for larger version

Name:	excello 015.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	78285  

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
You might want to just overlay a new panel over it... some folks might chip on on their repairs....
Love all the windows! How's the inside?
Marc
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Interior

Needs some cleaning But in good shape. Couch needs a recover but think I am going to pull it and build a L shaped wrap around couch. Eventually will put some laminate wood flooring in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	excello int 002.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	78300   Click image for larger version

Name:	excello int 009.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	78301  

Name:	excello int 007.jpg
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	78302   Click image for larger version

Name:	excello int 008.jpg
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	78303  

Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Right on David!! You now have an understanding of the "slippery slope" that many here have tried to explain. Typically around here folks start with the newer trailers and then move to the older ones, but we will not count that against you.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #146
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Led Zeppelin

Have named the 29 Excello "Led Zeppelin". It broke a concrete block when I up it under the lift arm. Lots of diff in weight the new vs old. david
Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #147
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
David,

Congratulations on #2!!

It looks great, and I'm sure you & your wife will soon be enjoying camping trips!

Eugene? and Led Zepelin?.....please tell why

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...why-39435.html
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Name meaning

I think the thing that impressed me most about the Excello was how heavy it was compared to the Overlander. It seemed that airstream threw the design principle of keeping it light to the wind. Heavy wood cabinets, heavier frame, Wood lined closets, hence the name Led (for lead). Zeppelin is a german airship. So they have taken an airship design and made it heavy. Also the rock group, Led Zeppelin, was a heavy metal band. . Going to pull it with my 2002 Tundra for a while. Which is certainly on the edge by the 80 percent rule. I think the tundra is rated for 8k The GVW on the Leadzilla is 6800 if I remember right. I will probably move up to the larger 2007 model sometime in the future. My tundra has 156k miles on it now. Taking it tomorrow to get a brake actuator installed and a seven pin hookup. Hope to be camping the weekend after the FCU rally for a shake down cruise. I have a question. I have a buddy with an english wheel. Could I remove that rear panel and iron the dents out with the wheel and reinstall it. My buddy who is a metal worker says he knows he can make the dent disappear??? My thought was it would be a lot easier to remove the panel and replace it that fool with taking all the paneling out in the bedroom area and trying to push the dent out. I am sure I will learn a lot about this from Aerowood in a couple of weeks. david
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #149
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyeod View Post
I think the thing that impressed me most about the Excello was how heavy it was compared to the Overlander. It seemed that airstream threw the design principle of keeping it light to the wind. Heavy wood cabinets, heavier frame, Wood lined closets, hence the name Led (for lead). Zeppelin is a german airship. So they have taken an airship design and made it heavy. Also the rock group, Led Zeppelin, was a heavy metal band. . Going to pull it with my 2002 Tundra for a while. Which is certainly on the edge by the 80 percent rule. I think the tundra is rated for 8k The GVW on the Leadzilla is 6800 if I remember right. I will probably move up to the larger 2007 model sometime in the future. My tundra has 156k miles on it now. Taking it tomorrow to get a brake actuator installed and a seven pin hookup. Hope to be camping the weekend after the FCU rally for a shake down cruise. I have a question. I have a buddy with an english wheel. Could I remove that rear panel and iron the dents out with the wheel and reinstall it. My buddy who is a metal worker says he knows he can make the dent disappear??? My thought was it would be a lot easier to remove the panel and replace it that fool with taking all the paneling out in the bedroom area and trying to push the dent out. I am sure I will learn a lot about this from Aerowood in a couple of weeks. david
You will find that to remove a segment in one piece, is just about impossible, with tearing into other sheetmetal as well.

There are several "flush" rivets holding the segments in place that are hidden by the front or rear window, as well as the side sheets of metal.

Andy
Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Congratulations on the new Excella. Make sure you lock the deadbolt for travel. You have what is known as a "suicide door" (it opens into the wind) If it comes open during travel, it can do some serious damage to the door and the trailer. (Don't ask how I know this)
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #151
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Thanks

Andy thanks for the heads up on the flush rivets. Sounds like I will be pulling the paneling off the inside. Silver.. I didnt do that when I trailered the excella home 240 miles but on the way the dead bolt engaged the lock on its on. Couldnt get the door open. The PO had hidden a key in the bumper compartment and low and behold it was the one for the dead bolt. Thanks much for the info, will lock it from now on. I wondered what the suicide door was I had read about.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Leadzilla

Navy
Aluminitus has hit you hard I see. The dreaded secondary medical complication of MTD has already set in. For those that are unfamiliar with this acronim it is the afliction Multiple Trailer Disorder.

A very serious condition that leads to shrinking bank account and extended restoration of first project. This can add years to an undertaking that most first time patients believe will only take a few years to complete.

On a serious note, take time to reflect on the Tundra as a tow vehicle for the leaded one. As a happy Tundra owner I can assure you it will not be safe to lug that beast around, espesially a two wheel drive. It is time to consider moving up to the newer models that will do the job with the addition of a weight distribution hitch.

Just in case you have already forgotten your vintage trailer I will include a few pics of your 58' interior and my restored 62.' I was surprized how little the floor plans had changed in that time span.

Hope this will inspire you to work with your floorplan and restore to original.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57 Over.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	78409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dig 020 [800x600].JPG
Views:	56
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	78410  

Name:	Airstream Dig 019 [800x600].JPG
Views:	58
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	78411   Click image for larger version

Name:	over.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	78412  

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Safari

Thanks for the pics and the inspiration. I think you are right on about the tundra being too small. I am only going to be going on 175 mi trips for a while and going to see if I can get by with the tundra for a year or two. If I really decide to go for some long hauls will have to move up to another tv. I have had some lousy history with ford and chev trucks and have driven toyota products for the last 10 years with great service and few problems. I think the new tundras might even be marginal for the 6800 lb led zeppelin. I have a weight distribution hitch and I made it back without a problem with the 470 even with too much weight distributed on the rear axle. I will be updating you guys. Getting a 7 pin connector and brake actuator put on my tundra as I write. Also checking on a tranny cooler from toyota. Wallet is bleeding pretty heavy. Hope they dont have a good deal on a used toyota tundra when I go by the dealership. I did some research on the tundra, 7200 lb towing capacity. If I can just jettison some of this lead ballast in Led Zeppelin I might could save a new tv. But boy my wife is excieted about old led with all his blemishes. She wants the woodwork a different color. Anyone done that???
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Free Overlander

Man this airstream gift from my inlaws is getting more and more expensive. I am beginning to see what they think of me. I put a 7 pin connector on my toyota today and a brake actuator. I then dropped by the Tundra dealer to look at a used 2007 tundra. I bought my 2002 6 years ago used and it is getting pretty beat up and has 156k miles on it. Came within 2k of making a deal for the 07, but walked away. I sure dont want to put the pencil to all this expense before my first camping trip.