Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
Rolling Meadows , Illinois
HELP! Newbie with a leak

Hi Everyone

I'm one week away from fulltiming in my new-to-me 1962 Avalair.

Just when I thought all was well and as I started placing my belongings before having my estate sale (after spending a ton of money paying for a new hot water heater, new FW tank, new piping throughout and other essentials) Mother Nature did me a great favor by sending a gentle steady rain.

Thus was revealed the leak around the brand new hot water heater.

My first guess is that the exterior was not appropriately sealed. However, I'm not very sure of this because this clearly is the site of a previous leak given the water heater was completely rusted and the floor in that area completely rotten.

The tech did some nice work and replaced everything and re-built the outer housing with a minimum of new panel.

As a first step, I thought I should try to do some sealing in the only place that seems to need sealing--the miniscule crack between the uppermost panel and the outer skin on the outside. But when I open up the panel I find it very well sealed so I don't really see how water could be getting inside.

The inside shows only a leak near the hw heater. The area above doesn't show leaking but it might be doing so between the outer skin and inner wall. Can't tell.

What do I try to seal that with? If I were in my house I'd use clear caulk. But this is a trailer I hope to polish someday.

What should I use?

Second question which is just as urgent but has little to do with leaking (except if you like puns). Does my sewer connection have a currently made adapter? See pic. I've been told I can't attach a sewer hose without a special adapter. I searched forums for a pic of an old style pipe and I saw a recent thread entitled "macerator" but it didn't have pics so I'm unsure if I'm in that very enviable category of having an old style connection.

Thanks so much.

Sophia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	213491  
Attached Images

SophiaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I'll answer on the waste adapter - it looks like your waste system uses Thetford connectors (the current ones are Valterra). The good news is that Valterra makes a Thetford-to-Valterra adapter - see Amazon.com: Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to Valterra Universal Adapter: Automotive which only costs about $7.00. Buy two, so that if the plastic breaks you have a spare.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote