Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1966 22' Safari
great meadows , New Jersey
Help needed Tow plug

I have a 1969 globetrotter and it has 7 pin round tow plug that plugs in to the trailer and i can't seem to match it to the new 7 flat plug,wiring colors seems to be differant.Anyone know how to do this.Thanks

horse97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I believe if you go to an Airstream dealer they have a converter pigtail that has a round pin plug on one end, and a flat pin plug on the other for use with these older units.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Or you can replace the round pin plug with a flat pin plug and rewire to the new scheme. Or you can replace the flat pin socket on the tow vehicle with a round pin socket, remembering to rewire to the socket and plug to the same wiring scheme.

Originally Posted by horse97 View Post
I have a 1969 globetrotter and it has 7 pin round tow plug that plugs in to the trailer and i can't seem to match it to the new 7 flat plug,wiring colors seems to be differant.Anyone know how to do this.Thanks
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Try this

I copied this from another thread. Hope it helps.

My trailer has a 7-way connection point on the trailer that the umbilical cord plugs into. My cord has a plug on both ends and is reversible. My tow vehicle has a 7-way connection point. All 7 wires are used.

My trucks 7-way connectors are wired to standard 7-way profile. I test all of the three components with a 7-way tester that I got at the auto store for about $10.

I wire the trailer to agree with the 7-way tester. I wire the cord to agree with the standard 7-way profile at both ends. I ignore all wire colors and only wire to function. Standard 7-way profile is based on function, not wire color. My tools are the 7-way tester, a 12 volt jumper light, and a small 12 volt battery charger.

I test the tow vehicle with the 7-way tester to be sure it's right. Then I use the 7-way tester to test the trailer 7-way connection point, and to test the removed cord . . . all separately. When everything tests okay, then I plug the tow vehicle into the trailer. I do not have to hitch with the ball hitch to test the lights, there's a common ground.

I didn't like the trailer ground setup so I brought all the ground leads together, fluxed them with paste flux like I was going to solder a copper pipe, and soldered them and the new #10 ground lead together with my map gas torch. Then I soldered a copper battery cable eye end to the new lead, sanded the skin and screwed the new lead to the trailer skin.

When I tested my system I had two wires reversed on the removable end of the umbilical cord.

There's one thing to watch for when looking at function and wires. The tow vehicle brakes and the brake lights look a lot the same until those are isolated and objectively tested. Towing would not be a good way to test those.
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I installed a new round flat pin type plug on my 68 because I wanted to have the option of towing the trailer with another vehicle (in case I every had truck trouble and had to have the Airstream towed home with another vehicle) and I wanted the plug on the trailer to be wired to the new standard. I found a schematic of the pin-out of the old round pin plug somewhere here on the forums but it was not very helpful. I found that mine was not wired exactly like the diagram so I just checked each wire one at a time until I had the trailer wiring figured out. The whole job took about an hour.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote