Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #1

2012 30' International
Payson , Arizona
Question Heater issues

Have a new 2012 Int'l Serenity. Currently on our 2nd trip when our 2 Dometics stopped heating at about 6am after keeping us toasty all night. We noticed a slight burning smell. We shut off the units. Both thermostats were in the Auto mode set at 78 degrees. Over night temps were in the mid 30's. The manual mentioned that in lower temps the units may freeze up. With that in mind I waited 90 minutes for the temps to rise into the 40's. When I turned on each unit individually they worked just fine. Mid 30's is not that cold and I feel they should work OK in that temp range.
Any thoughts.
Thanks,
Larry

Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Are you talking about the heat pumps? They have an automatic temp shut down at the mid 30s. (I can't remember the exact spec, it is in your manual). You can also program the CCC thermostat to automatically switch over to the gas furnace when the heat pump shutdown occurs. When the temp rises above that temp, the system will automatically switch back to heat pump. This is also in your CCC manual.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
In addition, if the heat pump has been running for awhile when temps are in the 40's, it will enter a defrost cycle that runs about 4 1/2 minutes. During that time you will hear the compressor running, but the blower will stop. This is normal, but when you notice it the first time, especially if it wakes you up, it is easy to believe something is wrong. There is a detailed explanation of this and what temps are involved in your Dometic heatpump manual. It also says the CCC will automatically switch form heatpump to furnace operation around 30. It that isn't happening, the CCC needs a simple reset. That is also describe in the manual.

The slight "burning smell" may have been the 1st use of the furnace this season. After getting used to the heatpump, the furnace is relatively quiet and it is not unusual to present a slight odor if it hasn't run in months.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Turn off your heat pumps as the are not effective below 50 degrees.Turn on your propane central heat it will keep you toasty warm.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My heat pump puts out a LOT of nice heat down into the upper 30s.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Personally, I've been happy with the performance of the heatpump that came installed on our Airstream. It is currently 37F outside and I just took its temperature. The air coming out of the hp reads 108F.

I understand why a heatpump isn't for everyone. The furnace is quieter than the hp. The higher volume of air that the hp moves may feel drafty. Most of us feel chilled starting with our feet and the furnace delivers warm air at foot level. While the hp seems to do well at maintaining a set temperature, it seems to take a long time to for it to warm up a cold trailer and that drafty feel may compound one's comfort.

Larry, have you been able to recreate what happened the other night? Was it something as simple as the units going into a timed defrost cycle, or was it cold enough outside for it to automatically switch to furnace operation? 6AM may be the coldest time for you overnight. FYI, the CCC will display what's going on... It will display Defrost for example when it is defrosting.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So, this weekend is the last camping weekend of the season. It got down to 28* on Friday night and 34* on Sat nite. According to the aftermarket inside/outside thermometer, the heat pump switched over to the furnace at 32*. And it kept the inside at 70* in my 30'er. It ran pretty much continuously though. Saturday night, the furnace never came on and it stayed 70* all night.