Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Lewster, Thanks again!!!! That really helps.
I'm finally getting the meaning of the acronym/names for the various parts.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
On the Airstreams built in the last 5 years, the non ducted systems, which AC or heat pump units were installed at the factory? Are they still using the old plastic drain pans beneath the unit or have they changed to the auxiliary drain kit?
Old 10-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	250192

This is the original existing control wiring to the heat pump in my 99 Excella 34’.
120 volt AC wiring is not included below. 120volt AC connections are inside the junction box shown in the photo.

Circuit function - Trailer Wire color - HP/AC wire color - Notes .
Furnace control - light blue - dark blue w/white stripe - non-specific polarity
Furnace control - light blue - dark blue w/white stripe - non-specific polarity
Load shed - (none) - yellow - circuit not used
Load shed - (none) - yellow - circuit not used
Thermostat - gray - black to union - 4 wires to t-stat
Sensor - (none) - black to union - circuit not used
12v power (+) - blue - red
12v power (-) - black - white
? - (none) - tan outer/white inner (pair) - circuit not used
Old 10-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I'm on my third Airstream and this current one is the only one that has had a heat pump instead of an air conditioner.
I LOVE the heat pump because we camp in cooler weather sometimes and it is nice to be able to heat with a campground's electricity instead of our propane.

Also, the heat strip in the A/C is not on a thermostat, such that you either manually turn it on and off. You can't leave it on or you'll get too hot, so on a really cold night you don't have the ability to set the temperature and forget it.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post
........ I LOVE the heat pump because we camp in cooler weather sometimes and it is nice to be able to heat with a campground's electricity instead of our propane.....
I would rather use a portable electric heater, mainly because the noise the heat pump makes when the compressor cycles keeps me awake at night.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
On the Airstreams built in the last 5 years, the non ducted systems, which AC or heat pump units were installed at the factory? Are they still using the old plastic drain pans beneath the unit or have they changed to the auxiliary drain kit?
I believe that Airstream did away with their proprietary plastic drain pan about 4 years ago and FINALLY went with Dometic's auxiliary drain kit.

CAVEAT!!!!!!

They STILL don't install the drain kit according to Dometic instructions!!!!

There are to be 2 sealing gaskets used on a Penguin when the drain kit is in place. This allows for proper compression of the gaskets (50% of original height, which is 1" compressed) for specified sealing to the roof.

Airstream has been using only 1 gasket and using a binding sealant beneath the gasket to be sure that they won't leak. They definitely travel to their own drummer and against the tide of 10's of thousands of properly installed A/C units with interior drain lines on just about every other RV company's products.

I have noticed that protrusions from fasteners and bolt heads at the bottom of the A/C chassis pan are resting directly on the roof, since a single gasket will not allow for proper gasket compression when the drain kit catch cups are in place.

WHY NOT DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.....AIRSTREAM??????
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Atwood a/c

A few members have stated that the Atwood A/C systems work really well and are notably quieter than anything Dometic puts out.

I spend a lot of time in Virginia Beach, and much of that near NAS Oceana - the sound of freedom comes from the jets doing touch-and-go practice carrier landings at the base.... so I don't get too exercised over the noticably noisy A/C heat pumps, but hey if there is something better for the folks who don't have the much vaunted ducted air, well it pays to learn.

Comment on that Lewster?

Thank you, Paula
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A few members have stated that the Atwood A/C systems work really well and are notably quieter than anything Dometic puts out.

I spend a lot of time in Virginia Beach, and much of that near NAS Oceana - the sound of freedom comes from the jets doing touch-and-go practice carrier landings at the base.... so I don't get too exercised over the noticably noisy A/C heat pumps, but hey if there is something better for the folks who don't have the much vaunted ducted air, well it pays to learn.

Comment on that Lewster?

Thank you, Paula
I'll take a stab (as a novice) at explaining why I choose to re-install a Dometic product.

The existing control wiring from the wall thermostat to rooftop unit is similar to a phone jack for the Dometic units. If I would use a different brand rooftop unit I would have to add to or modify that existing wire, which could require digging into the walls and ceiling.

Also, the furnace is now controlled by the same wall mounted thermostat as the rooftop unit. If a different brand is used, it might require an additional/separate thermostat, requiring more digging into the walls.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I actually like and use the heat pump when hooked up with electricity at a campground.
It doesn't cost any more. I've already paid for the spot. It saves me money on propane.
When the outside temperatures dip below 40, I have to use the propane furnace, but that is only a couple of times per year. As long as the heat pump will work, I use it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Paula, et al,

I have no direct experience with the new Atwood A/C units. AFAIK, they don't make a low profile unit to match the Penguin II or the Mach 8 from Coleman. For folks that are looking for quiet, the Brisk Air II from Dometic produces noticeably less noise inside the RV, but again is a high profile unit.

I had a client that had Country Coach motor home, and 2 of his 3 roof units needed replacing, so we used the Penguin II for all 3 and upgraded his control system to the CCC-II. After using the rig in FL for a week or so, he called and said that the new units were noticeably louder inside his coach (with full ducted air) and what else was available.

After contacting Dometic, they agreed to replace the units with the Brisk Air II and after replacement, the owner was more than satisfied with their performance and sound levels. His only complaint was visual, as they are several inches higher than his originals, which were Penguins.

I will tell you that over the last 15 years of RV service work, I have come to loath Atwood and the unnecessarily complex engineering and construction of their products, which generally do NOT make the units operate better or for longer periods. This is evident most in their furnaces and water heaters, but if it has to do with corporate culture, I'm certain that it will extend to their A/C units and new RV refrigerators too. Not my favorite products!!!

Sorry that I can't add more to this.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Comment on that Lewster?

Thank you, Paula
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Lewster, your comments are making me lean toward the Brisk Air in lieu of the Penguin. Whether the choice is 10" or 14" tall, to me is height is irrelevant. I will choose the quieter unit.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Just for those pondering the heatpump option, we like ours...noise not so much an issue here and never notice when sleeping. Has been effective for us even on frosty nights at 28- 32F. Really just use furnace for quicker warm up if we have have been away with no heat on in the AS. Especially nice for spring and later in fall. Furnace is kinda noisy too so for longer periods the effecient space heater might make sense. I would replace my heat pump with same or similar Dometic.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I discovered a bit of information while researching today that might be helpful to others. I've seen post elsewhere in this forum questioning the actual output of the high capacity Penguin II. When looking at the sales brochure, at the chart which compares units, it says "High Capacity" instead of listing the actual BTU's. However, while I was reading the specifications for that specific unit I found it is 15,000 BTU's.